New 1,000mph land speed car unveiled!

Takeuon

Registered
Bloodhound SuperSonic Car Prepares for Take Off

135,000hp! How would you like to be the pilot behind the wheel of that thing!?

The Buzz Log - Bloodhound SuperSonic Car Prepares for Take Off - Yahoo! Buzz

capt_bf0a21c2c485a9d0c981eebf2e03edf7.jpg

No thanks I will pass the keys an watch someone else do it,,,

that doesn't look like it has 4 wheels does it that's not a car imo :poke: :whistle:

shove that into a Busa frame an I would probably consider it though :laugh:

Last edited:
these are kinda old pics. The design has already been changed so that the main engine exits below the rocket booster. There's been so many reports on the progress of this build over the years. The v12 piston engine it has pushes some where around 2k hp!

Last edited:
Cool article and pic, T!! Like the thread!

On another note:

Poll-"If you could out run any LEO on the planet, would you do it?" :moon:

j/k!! In light of all the other speedy squid posts, I just couldn't resist! :laugh:

Back to your regularly scheduled, tactifully informable, and tastefully developed thread...:thumbsup: :beerchug:

that reminds me of a car show my dad took me to as a kid. I got to see the Blue Flame. that started my love of speed. I would love to see it run.

why do you need 135,000 hp to go 1000mph ?
Aren't they close to that speed in Bonneville with alot less hp ?

why do you need 135,000 hp to go 1000mph ?
Aren't they close to that speed in Bonneville with alot less hp ?

"The current record belongs to the Thrust SuperSonic Car, which hit 763 mph back in 1997."

That's a pretty big jump from 763 to 1,000!

2 and SSC were both local car's when I lived in the UK.

Thrust 2

ImageShack Links Do Not Work

Thrust SSC

It's just amazing that a Bugatti Veyron with 1000 hp will do 250mph but to get to 1000mph you need more than 100 times the HP ?

It's just amazing that a Bugatti Veyron with 1000 hp will do 250mph but to get to 1000mph you need more than 100 times the HP ?

Plus the aerodynamics needed....at those speeds, its a streamliner on super mega steroids 110,000HP.......just imagine the rumbling inside the car when thrusting up for take off..you think about how a 1000HP v8, how it twists the chassis when you rev it...imagin this......id do a lot of things...very very risky things...i even like going into a war zone and i dont know why....driving this thing might just be the only thing i wouldnt do......dont know something about 110,000 mechanical horsepower behind-on top of me feels painfull.......but boy what a rush.....if you can hang on this bad boy you can ride anything, but after that...what else......deep space rocket???

Last edited:
Plus the aerodynamics needed....at those speeds, its a streamliner on super mega steroids 110,000HP.......just imagine the rumbling inside the car when thrusting up for take off......id do a lot of things...very very risky things...and i dont know why....driving this thing might just be the only thing i wouldnt do......dont know something about 110,000 mechanical horsepower behind-top of me feels painfull.......but boy what a rush.....

For me it would be like racing a Formula One car . I'd do it for free, just let me sleep on the floor of the trailer and get me an egg McMuffin and some Oj in the morning .

Here's your mathematical explanation from wikipedia.org for convenience:

Power
The power required to overcome the aerodynamic drag is given by:

Pd+Fd*v=1/2pv^3ACd

Where:
Fd is the force of drag,
p is the density of the fluid,[3]
v is the speed of the object relative to the fluid,
A is the reference area,
Cd is the drag coefficient (a dimensionless parameter, e.g. 0.25 to 0.45 for a car

Note that the power needed to push an object through a fluid increases as the cube of the velocity. A car cruising on a highway at 50 mph (80 km/h) may require only 10 horsepower (7.5 kW) to overcome air drag, but that same car at 100 mph (160 km/h) requires 80 hp (60 kW). With a doubling of speed the drag (force) quadruples per the formula. Exerting four times the force over a fixed distance produces four times as much work. At twice the speed the work (resulting in displacement over a fixed distance) is done twice as fast. Since power is the rate of doing work, four times the work done in half the time requires eight times the power.

End quote.

This is the main reason it's so difficult to achieve 200+ m.p.h. speeds on production motorcycles. A stock unrestricted 'busa with 170 or so rear wheel horsepower is good for ~190 m.p.h., yet it takes an extra 160 horsepower to gain an extra 40 m.p.h.

Figures above taken from here.

Note how very close the mathematical formula and the real world numbers correlate.

From the add I linked to, before it disappears:

"You are bidding on the "Tiger" from Tiger Racing. This bike holds the World Land Speed Record for the Fastest Nitrous Bike in any class at a terminal speed of 228.803MPH. The "Tiger" has been in numerous magazine articles and is world reknown. Buyer should pick-up here in Toledo, OH or come at least within 250 mile radius where I will trailer your winning bike to you without charge. I will include the tune-up in the ECU and Dyno-Jet Power Commander that will allow you to have a turn key solution for going 220+ if you are a skilled LSR rider and weigh less than 200lbs."

And:

"She's 200hp on motor with another 130HP of Nitrous tune-up."

Last edited:
Back