Question for Marines!

Ranger

Registered
I know there are several of current and retired Marines on the board, so I thought I would start here. My son wants to become a Marine officer, I know getting into the Naval Academy is very competitive.

He will be a senior this year in HS, where should he start. He will see a recruiter soon but I thought I wanted ask the experienced ones here 1st...Thanks!

If he wants to go officer which is what it sounds and I recommended going officer over enlisted (I am enlisted). He should do his 4 years of college then Apply for Officer Candidate School. He can finish that 4 years of college in 3 if he applies himself well

Now if he wants to go enlisted anywayyy. All he needs to do is talk to the recruiter to hook him up and be in top physical shape. 20 true pullups, 18 minute 3 mile run, and 100 crunches in 2 minutes

He can apply for Naval Acadamy too, I would talk with MCMustang though.

He can apply for Naval Acadamy too, I would talk with MCMustang though.

Man, I was just reading up on the Academy, thats a real hard one to get, need congressional or presidential reccomendation, 14,000 people apply and only 1,200 get selected. :usa:

Do not wait until the fourth year of college to apply for OCS. He should do this in his 2nd year because typically they allow for OCS completion between your third and fourth year, over the summer (all things permitting). Also, a college ROTC program will help him by preparing him mentally.

MECEP isn't a bad route but it's also fairly competitive. You need pretty decent academics and pros-cons (proficiency and conduct) or FITREPs (Fitness Reports - as an NCO) -both are marks given by superior. Which means if he has a problem with someone in his immediate chain of command, this route may be counter productive to his desired goal. In addition, it boils down to "needs of the Marine Corps". If they don't need officers he may have to wait a few weeks or a few years before being accepted. Also, a four year degree you typically owe the Corps six in return, if I recall.

Whereas college is a pay the tuition and keep a 3.0+ GPA and from what I understand you can apply to OCS with very little standing in the way.

Personal note:
My oldest (15 years old) is gung-ho about joining the Corps in his father's (and grandfather's, and great-grandfather's) footsteps. I was an enlisted Marine and was accepted into the Mustang program. My grandfather was a Marine Aviator in WWII and stayed in through Korea. My advice to him is that he should do his four years of college and then go in as an officer. Part of this is due to my own experience and the "if I could do it all over" scenario. Another piece of this because I think he needs to mature a bit prior to making the decision that is going to stick. Yet another part of this is because he has a video game version of combat and thinks it's glorious and fun - I want him coming back from the sandbox versus being traded a flag for his service and our sacrifice.

You're being a good dad and helping him do the research! Continue to help him along in the "right" direction.

:beerchug:

Ranger,
There are a couple of things he can do:
Apply for an NROTC scholarship
Apply to the Academy
Go to College and participate in PLC (Platoon Leaders Class)
Go to college and participate in NROTC

If he enlists, he can apply for MECEP -
+ They pay you as an active duty E-5 while in the MECEP program
+ The time you spend in the program counts as active duty time
- Very competetive program, easy to qualify for, but that means that Marines are competing against each other, not the standard - makes it much more difficult.

Meritorious Commissioning Program -
+ Sort of like MECEP, but harder to qualify for, so a little less competative
- Have to have 75 college credits to apply
- Have to complete degree before commissioning

Enlisted Commissioning Program -
+ If he gets his degree while on active duty, he can apply to simply go to OCS
+ Degree can be in any area from any accredited college
- Has to have the degree in hand

In some ways, it is easier for a Marine to get to OCS than Joe Grabasamich straight out of college - but in many ways, it is much, much harder. As an example, the Marine Corps (and really, all the services) has Tuition Assistance and there is the GI Bill. But depending on a Marine's job requirements, they may have to wait before taking advantage of them.

I hope this helps, at least a little...

MCM

And dont let him get any tattoos lol. My OSO described it as "An officer is a gentleman and must act [and look] as such"

MC clearly lays out the routes to a Marine Commission. Kinda depends on the candidate and how well he places among the others competing for the same slot (i.e., Naval Academy) One of my friends (Retired Army) got his son in the Naval Academy; it's like putting a check for $250K in your pocket (what the education is worth).

A great route is Go to College and participate in PLC (Platoon Leaders Class); First priority must be that college degree (without the degree, he can't be an officer - for long). If for some reason he can't make it (underlying hidden medical reasons often disqualify), he's still got the education and can move forward in life.

Remember, the recruiter is looking to make his quota NOW, which may not be in your son's best interest in the long run.

Good luck.

Back