Meet George Jetson!!!!!!!!WOW

cipher5791

Registered
Came across this beauty in my local newspaper and had to show it.
Terrafugia - Transition®, the Roadable Light Sport Aircraft : Home

Performance
Cruise: 100 kts (115 mph)
Rotate: 70 kts (80 mph)
Stall: 45 kts (51 mph)
Range: 400nm (460 mi)
Takeoff over 50' obstacle: 1700' Fuel burn: 5 gph
Fuel tank: 20 gallons
Useful Load: 430 lbs
On road: 30 mpg, highway speeds
Light Sport Aircraft (LSA)

Convenience
Front wheel drive on the ground
Automotive-style entry and exit
Two place, side by side
Automated electromechanical folding wing
No trailer or hangar needed
Cargo area holds skis, fishing poles or golf clubs

Safety
Drive in case of inclement weather
Proven 100 hp Rotax 912S engine
Full vehicle parachute available
Modern glass avionics
Automotive crash safety features

Dimensions
Folded:
6’ 9†tall
80†wide
18’ 9†long
Airplane:
6’ 3†tall
19’ 2†long
Wingspan:
27’ 6†Cockpit:
51†at the shoulder

Training
Become a Sport Pilot in as little as 20 hours of flight time in a Transition®-specific course. For existing pilots, get comfortable quickly with the familiarization training included with every Transition® delivery.

Order Today
Place your fully refundable $10,000 airframe reservation deposit here. Anticipated purchase price: $194,000.

TransitionRoad.jpg

TeamOshkosh2008.jpg

main_image-home-original.jpg

Interesting, but for nearly (and on delivery probably more) $200,000 I would buy something else that is faster, carries more, is IFR and was designed to ONLY Fly. Bumps and pot holes in roads can do funny things to a frame, especially one you want solid at 5,000 Ft :laugh:

just watched an episode about this on TV recently. Curious what concerns (if any) Homeland Security has about this?

with the way people drive, i fail to see how a flying car is in anyway a good idea.

ok how do i reinforce my roof to deflect the aircraft as they fall...lol...as said above..the way people drive now this is a bad idea...

That is really cool, how far can it fly on a tank full ???

Says 400 nm (which is 460 miles) which you need to understand two things. These figures are given with optimal fuel distance, NO wind and at their optimal altitude. It also means at 400 nm YOUR A GLIDER :laugh: . It really doesn't matter, you fly by time not DISTANCE. To many things can add or substract your achieved or desired distance, including your leaning procedures, winds, goofing around, taxie time, warm up, climb altitude, cruise speed, etc (I assume you can lean this engine for altitude changes) . So, with that engine, vehicle weight, I would assume a fuel consumption (tank holds 20 gal - NOT MUCH) of about 5 to 8 gal per hour (meaning 2 to 3 1/4 hours with reserve left on landing) , meaning at best your looking at 325 nm with reserves and in the worst case around 200 nm with reserves (VFR). :beerchug:

It's just ment for a local, fun and different airplane :thumbsup:

I would assume it would be closed-loop fuel-injected, myself.

If so, altitude would prove troublesome. Mooney tired this in the 80's with a Porsche engine with a not so good result. Problem was not just the fast altitude change, but air density, moisture content and temp changes at a fast rate. But, as long as you stay under 3 or 4,000 feet it would probably not be a big issue. I know when the old WW II - AT -6 Trainers were converted to regular car pump gas, their altitudes were limited (as I recall to only 4000 feet above the fueling altitude) because of the fuel blend (Car Fuel is blended for local conditions and altitude concerns) problems.

But again, this is just a fun, sports plane which requires a limited lic. to fly and is designed for just local flying fun. But for $200,000, that's still a lot of MOOOO-LA to me :thumbsup:

:thumbsup:Thats all we need her in cali, since they have yet to master the road car...cant imagine this...hey! Can you split lanes in mid flight!?

Can't wait to see someone try to get auto insurance...or is it aircraft insurance?

Interesting, but for nearly (and on delivery probably more) $200,000 I would buy something else that is faster, carries more, is IFR and was designed to ONLY Fly. Bumps and pot holes in roads can do funny things to a frame, especially one you want solid at 5,000 Ft :laugh:

I agree 100%. Nearly useless as a car. Almost as useless as an airplane.

Can't wait to see someone try to get auto insurance...or is it aircraft insurance?

Very good question...here's another...

Weighing only 1300 lbs. or so, the survivability of the airframe (and occupants) is unlikely when matched up with the typical 5000 lb. S.U.V.

Looking at state minimum liability insurance policy requirements, would you feel comfortable operating an easily destroyed $200,000 vehicle knowing the level of insurance your counterparty in the accident was likely to have (assuming they have it at all)? I can't imagine what the underinsured motorist premium would be. Hull insurance for aircraft is already high enough...for vehicles that are generally babied, hangared, and protected from idiots driving, texting, eating, smoking, and talking on cellphones simultaneously.

Oklahoma's, Florida's, and Louisiana's liability insurance requirements are downright criminal.

Little unknown info on this concept and design(ive been following it):
The key with this and WHY they name it a "roadable aircraft" is because it was intended to be a quick drive to the hotel from the airport, an alternative, not an actual roadcar which to be certifiable (5 mph bumpers and other safety equipment, would far exceed its class "lightsport" and safety flying weight. They (designers, engineers) know that this design will be far get approved by pertinent authorities as an actual road car, and cant get a license plate for it, but nevertheless it is the start and first concept of a revolutionizing machine ideed and technology to come, very cool. Now If I had the money and i could renew my lightsport cert

Last edited:
Little unknown info on this concept and design(ive been following it):
The key with this and WHY they name it a "roadable aircraft" is because it was intended to be a quick drive to the hotel from the airport, an alternative, not an actual roadcar which to be certifiable (5 mph bumpers and other safety equipment)

But then it is NOT a licensable vehicle and would NOT be legal to drive on a public road to a hotel. Surly they don't suggest you fly this into a major airport (one with Hotels on site) ? So, what good is it ???

If so, altitude would prove troublesome. Mooney tired this in the 80's with a Porsche engine with a not so good result. Problem was not just the fast altitude change, but air density, moisture content and temp changes at a fast rate. But, as long as you stay under 3 or 4,000 feet it would probably not be a big issue. I know when the old WW II - AT -6 Trainers were converted to regular car pump gas, their altitudes were limited (as I recall to only 4000 feet above the fueling altitude) because of the fuel blend (Car Fuel is blended for local conditions and altitude concerns) problems.

But again, this is just a fun, sports plane which requires a limited lic. to fly and is designed for just local flying fun. But for $200,000, that's still a lot of MOOOO-LA to me :thumbsup:
Modern fuel injection can measure the actual amount of air entering into the cylinders down to a very fine amount, regardless of air density. The actual method of tracking incoming air automatically compensates for air density by it's nature.

Now back in the 1980's this probably would not have been the case, only since about 1996 or so on all vehicles, with the change over to OBD-II. Motorcycles without Oxygen sensors in the tailpipe (such as the first gen 'Busa), are comparable to the primitive systems in OBD-I.

Car fuel just has lower octane ratings at higher altitudes, nothing more. You need higher compression and lower octane to extract good power at high altitudes.

Back