Gremlins struck twice, in 5 miles~!~

outlawbusa

1 wheel up aero testing
Donating Member
Registered
Our 1 hour drive from the lake today turned into a 5 hour mayhem...

The left side tire blew, parked, dropped trailer and went to Wally world for a new tire installed ($125). Purchased jack and lug wrench while I was there.

Went back, hooked up and installed new tire.

Drove 5 miles down the road and the other tire (same axle) blew out.

Went to Northern tools and picked up a tire and wheel ($129) since Walmart tire center is now closed.

Both sides took out the fenders. Left side also took out the tag, tag light harness, and tail light.

Couldn't find what caused the first tire to blow. Passed it off as possibly a little dry rot in the tire. Had great tread left and no visable dry rot until off the wheel. The other side has got me puzzled as well.

A state trooper pulled up behind me on the second blow out and says oh my God, two blow outs in 5 miles~!~

100_0593.jpg

100_0594.jpg

100_0595.jpg

100_0596.jpg

100_0597.jpg

100_0598.jpg

100_0599.jpg

100_0600.jpg

100_0601.jpg

100_0602.jpg

100_0605.jpg

Dam, when I bought my trailer it came with 2 spares, I never leave home without one of my spares!

Dam, when I bought my trailer it came with 2 spares, I never leave home without one of my spares!

All of my trailers have spares, except for this one...

I'm a stickler for having spares also, but for some reason this one slipped my mind until the boom reminded me~!~

The white wheel from Northern will be my spare after I replace the remaining 3 tires...

Wow, what a disaster. Sorry bout your luck.
By the looks of it, I'm wondering if the manufacturer didn't use re-cap tires.?? ???

That sucks... Maybe you got the bad luck outta the way and you've got some good stuff headed your way now... :beerchug:

OMG! That could have been bad.

The first thing we did when we bought our trailer...well almost he first thing, was bought Good Year Marathons. They are radials designed for trailer towing. They really made a difference in the feel of the trailer.

On The Wings of Goodyear | RV Tires - Tire Selection - Marathon®

That's actually what i put on it from Walmart...looks like a very good tire~!~

I went and replaced the other blown tire today with the same.

Wow, what a disaster. Sorry bout your luck.
By the looks of it, I'm wondering if the manufacturer didn't use re-cap tires.?? ???

My first thought also, man these look like retreads...we use this trailer all the time and never had any problems at all, real odd both blow at once~!~

man glad the damage wasn't any worse. At least it was on your way back home. :beerchug: (sliver linning)...

How old were the tires? Looks like to many heat cycles caused them to delaminate. ??? Are they rated for the load?

man glad the damage wasn't any worse. At least it was on your way back home. :beerchug: (sliver linning)...

How old were the tires? Looks like to many heat cycles caused them to delaminate. ??? Are they rated for the load?

Years of hot tires backing into cold water...that's what I call a heat cycle :laugh:

Does bring up another question on heat cycles on bike tires, I'll toss the thread out there...

They were load rated C at 1750 lbs each at 50PSI max. The trailer is not too old but I'm sure they were the original tires...

I used to run about 35PSI in them but over the Winter pumped them up close to 50PSI

Last edited:
Turned a very nice trailer into something that looked like it's been tossed through a storm~!~

Sorry about that, never any fun. The last trailer blow out we had ruined the paint on the back of my GMC. Its amazing how much damage those can do.

Back