VA radar

mr8ball

Registered
Hi all, I was checking to see if anyone could tell me if a cop has to show you the radar speed in VA. I was pulled over and got a ticket (41in a 25) I ask to see the radar and was told that they did not lock it in and they did not have to show it to me. I also ask them to put it on my ticket that I ask and they refused. I tried to search it and could not find anything on it on the web. I met them in a curve going to a stop light and really don't feel I was speeding at all. I got two tickets over 2 years ago and have really been watching my speed and i am tired of the cops just getting away with pulling people over and telling them they have to live with it. I am doing some research to go to court next month. Also I thought someone had a video on here a while back on how to show radar's can be very inaccurate. Any help would be grateful. Thanks in advance

That's a pretty common myth. I am not aware of any state with that requirement. Most states design laws that favor the officer. And yes, some guns do not lock a speed, so he may well be telling the truth. Regardless, cops don't need a gun to write a speeding ticket. Here in Florida you can make a judgement and write a speeding fine, even while the officer is sitting still. Yes, it's not advised, but still quite legal.

As for radar being inaccurate, I can tell you for certain that it is not. The only variables in fighting a speeding ticket are proper training certs for the operator and calibration certs for the gun. Some jurisdictions also require the officer to calibarate daily, but you're going to have a hard time convincing the judge that the officer is lying about that.

My advice, pay the fine. Unless the officer is completely unprepared, you're going to lose.

The only thing about it is that i don't feel that i was speeding. It is a small town i was going through heading north and i had my GPS in my window and i just feel they gave it to me because i was passing through and that i would just pay it and be done with it. My insurance is high enough and my tickets come off next june. I just feel i am getting the shaft here. I met him in a curve with another car in front of me and that car turned off. It was a man driving and a lady got out and too my imfo. I just don't feel it is wright when they can pull someone over and give them a ticket and you ask to see the radar and they don't show it to you. If that is the case they could do it all day long and people just have to waste time trying to prove different. To me its just wrong. Some of these little towns are doing this to raise revenue because of the economy and its just wrong in my opinion.

If you can articulate that scneario in court, you could have a case. Problem is, without a lawyer, you're going to be somewhat lost. If you feel strongly, get a lawyer. But then again, how much is it worth? It's not doubt that speeding fines are a racket, this much I agree with 100%.

can you get your court date postponed until your old tickets are off your record? that may help you a bit. we prob all agree that speeding tickets are a just a means of income for the city, but none the less, the courts will favor whatever the cops says (and come on, you have to agree with that otherwise everyone would always be innocent). good luck, brother, and let us know how it goes.

Talk to the DA and see what they will offer. Round here they will always make a deal. I have even offered to "reduce" to a more expensive ticket with less points in the past :laugh:

Don't you love Virginia? NOT ME! Laser just got me..............

Ill be in court Thursday with my lawyer. I was doing 20 over, and have a couple tickets. Long story short D.A. agreed to drop the "reckless", Ill pay fine and do driving school.

My lawyer wasnt cheap, $1500.00 Speeding IS a BIG DEAL in Virginia, reckless can mean jail time and criminal record,(but thankfully usually doesnt).

I'm DONE, no more speeding for me. I just spent my Ruger SR-556 money on my lawyer.

The "Man" has finally beat me down ;) Time to be a "good citizen"...........YUCK!

Last edited:
Don't you love Virginia? NOT ME! Laser just got me..............

Ill be in court Thursday with my lawyer. I was doing 20 over, and have a couple tickets. Long story short D.A. agreed to drop the "reckless", Ill pay fine and do driving school.

My lawyer wasnt cheap, $1500.00 Speeding IS a BIG DEAL in Virginia, reckless can mean jail time and criminal record,(but thankfully usually doesnt).

I'm DONE, no more speeding for me. I just spent my Ruger SR-556 money on my lawyer.

The "Man" has finally beat me down ;) Time to be a "good citizen"...........YUCK!

For $1500 you could probably afford to move to WV or NC. Just a thought. :beerchug:

I am going to try to find a lawyer today and see what he has to say. Yes VA. is one of the worst states for speeding and i am fed up with it also. I am thinking about moving myself. The system is set up all for the courts and 95% of people loose even if they are right. Thanks for the help and i will let you know what happens

I am going to try to find a lawyer today and see what he has to say. Yes VA. is one of the worst states for speeding and i am fed up with it also. I am thinking about moving myself. The system is set up all for the courts and 95% of people loose even if they are right. Thanks for the help and i will let you know what happens

Happy to help out. You will pay either way, I'm just happier "knowing" what my lawyer has negotiated, before I show up.

Use to be, get a speeding ticket, no big deal, pay the fine. Now your a freakin criminal.

At one time, Chesterfield County, Virginia, had MANDATORY jail time for reckless drivers. It was usually a weekend. Chesterfield finally realized how stupid it was to put speeders with "real" criminals.

Remember the speeding fees of "thousands of dollars" in Virginia before it got repealed?

OK, sorry for my rant. Ill shut up now and go back to my "right lane" driving ;)

Good thing I can afford a lawyer or I would be a "criminal"

Last edited:
VA State Troopers and counties like Henrico & Chesterfield use radar, vehicle pacing and VASCAR computing systems. NO they do not have to show you a radar speed. VA is notorious for speed and their court systems support their enforcement efforts. In short, pay the ticket. I've never seen anyone be successful contesting a ticket like that.

Sorry.

VA State Troopers and counties like Henrico & Chesterfield use radar, vehicle pacing and VASCAR computing systems. NO they do not have to show you a radar speed. VA is notorious for speed and their court systems support their enforcement efforts. In short, pay the ticket. I've never seen anyone be successful contesting a ticket like that.

Sorry.

State Trooper got me,(laser), on I-64 West, (Henrico County). I dont mind seeing justice served, it seems "justice" keeps getting a bigger and bigger serving!

P.S. Be nice to the officer! It matters. This helped me out significantly.

Last edited:
In Virginia it is a lost cause. I got a ticket once when the officer stated he clocked me 10miles back. I went to court and ended up paying the ticket and court fee's. I just pay the fine and move on, it's not worth the head ache. Now I just stay away from small towns.

I just talked to a lawyer and was told to take the online safety course, Get the sped o call. and appear in court to say i never saw the 25mph sign. I now the sped o is not off but will do it anyway for 50 bucks. Online course is 40 so there i am stuck a 100. If convicted my insurance will go out the roof. That is the thing i have trouble with (insurance) As we all on here know, with a buss we don't need any insurance hikes. Mine 980 a year full coverage because of my last ticket. The lawyer wants 500 to go with me so now it is up to 600 and no promise that i will win. What to do now? I am not sure. I cant get the court date put off until my other ticket comes off in June of 2011. O well tomorrow is another day. Thanks for the advice

Sorry to hear about your ticket. VA is bad... I got a couple tickets consecutively on 81 for 10-11 over and one time was going down a hill with a tractor trailer passing me. Never went to court because they were all 3hrs+ from my house. BTW they were all in my company truck, 3500 GMC pickup.

Sorry to hear about the ticket. The one thing you could look into is when was the last time the radar gun was calibrated and if the person that did it was trained/certified to do it? Good luck with the fight.

Back