In my town.....

Speed King

Banned
Mar 18, 2010 8:02 pm US/Central

Motorcyclist Injured Trying To Avoid Mattress A Woodbury motorcyclist is in critical condition after nearly being hit by a mattress that flew off an SUV on Interstate 94 at Wester Avenue.

The Minnesota State Patrol says Steven J. Konrad, 46, was behind a Ford Expedition and swerved to avoid the mattress when it flew off the vehicle. Konrad then lost control of his motorcycle and was thrown off, according to the incident report.

State Patrol officers closed down two lanes of 94 to take measurements and investigate what exactly happened. The driver of the Ford Expedition, Michael Denesen, 41, of Chippewa Falls, was not injured.

hmmmmm
Bummer.

Wonder if they are looking at how mattress was tied/attached to expedition ?
Here they def will stop you if it doesn't look safe.

It never ceases to amaze me when I see some of the crap people haul down the highway; and more-so, how it is improperly secured. The best is when the driver and passenger each have an arm out the window trying to hold something to the roof... FAIL.

That's no good at all. Hopefully the rider will be okay.
I always get around loads like that ASAP. :race:

I dodged a LazyBoy recliner last year! I always try to pass any vehicle with stuff tied on.

I ran over a box spring with my Land Cruiser a few years back...can't imagine trying that on a bike.

Hope he makes a full recovery.

I dodged a LazyBoy recliner last year! I always try to pass any vehicle with stuff tied on.

+1!

I see some shid like that tied down on a vehicle and I'm immediately headin' for the furthest lane away and on the gas!

Hope the guy makes it ok :please:

arizona doesnt even have a law mandating loads be tied down..

i couldnt believe it when i first moved there.... you find matresses and what not in the middle of the road all the time....

this is why riders should ALWAYS check their following distance, get around vehicles with loads, and scan ahead...

never know whats coming down the road...

hope the rider makes a full recovery and is riding again soon...

:please: for the rider, I don't know the whole story but I would imagine that the mattress was not tied down in a way proper for the trip :poke:

hell, should've just jumped off the bike. would've landed on the mattress. hope he's alright. i wonder if the expedition driver's insurance covers stupidity

I wonder if they are going to charge the driver with anything? I hope the rider makes a full recovery!

Just to clarify, the mattress was on another SUV, not the SUV the cyclist hit. It was not on the Expedition. The motorcyclist swerved to avoid the mattress and ran into the SUV driven by Michael Denesen who had nothing to do with the mattress.

was on my way to binghamton a few years back and in the passing lane of the highway was a 12 foot fiberglass fold out ladder diagonally across the lane,that would have been real bad on a bike,or even in a vehicle.

Back