Help me decide......Horrible phone call to get

JoshS

Registered
So I got a phone call today that no Dad ever wants to get.
My X called and said that my 11 year old son got jumped in the bathroom at school today by 2 kids. :devil:
Talk about being MAD.
I called the school to see what had happened and the principal said he was walking into the bathroom and the kids just jumped him and started punching him:banghead:
He is ok he just got punched in the stomach he said. Don't know why they did it.
This happened at 12 and the school didn't call until 2:cussing:
I went off about that also.
So the two boys got suspended for 10 days and school is pressing charges for assault.

Jusst wondering if you guys/gals think that I should also press charges.
i have considered it very hard. One of the kids as a history of violence according to the principal.(He's in the 6th Grade):banghead:

My son is fine. He did get upset while telling me what happened.:-(
You think your a tuff guy until your child genually cries and then it tears you down. If there is one thing that gets me it is my kids being hurt/upset.

I wish I could pound the kids that did this to him, but I'm to old. The sad thing is their parents probably don't care.

Thanks for taking your time to read this.

Sorry to hear about your son. I would press charges against these kids. If not, the school will eventually slack off of the charge and wont follow through with it. This will give the kid the idea that not much will happen when he does it again. If you follow through with charges it will set an example to the kid that he wont get away with this crap in the future.

Im interested in what the kids parents have to say about it.

I'd try to have a talk with the other boy's parents first to see how they react and behave like adults. I don't like to see much older boys picking on the younger boys, but part of it is part of growing up - as boys we've all been in a few altercations. Courtroom not necessary unless they've got a record of it and been getting away with it.

i would let my reaction be decided by the other parents. If they appear genuinely concerned and apologetic, I would maintain my calm and ask what they thought the consequences should be. If the one kid has a history of violence I suggest you have the school follow through with the charges as he obviously hasn't learned his lesson yet. The other kid may be a follower, and perhaps will learn from a close call with the law.
If, on the other hand, the parents could not care less about what their kids have done, I would end up in jail. No question about it.

i agree with skydivr. if youre able to speak with the kids parents then thats the way to go. also talk to your boy about it. this could be a good lesson for him that the world is full of idiots, and people should always be on their gaurd. maybe get him into some self defense classes or something like that.

one kid has a history of trouble, i would be pressing charges. jumping a younger boy and outnumbering him, not good. maybe if the other parents call and talk with you, then maybe not. see how long you have to file the charges.

11 is a tough age...kids are beginning to join cliques and shallow things such as the way one dresses or looks start to come into play. Bullies run rampant nowadays and its all social chaos to find ones place to fit in.

Glad to hear he wasn't hurt and that only his ego took a blow. +1 on looking into some martial arts for him. Its great physically and even better mentally...building ones self confidence can go a long way for later in life.

Good luck w/ everything.

And, if you don't get anywhere, quietly take your son and start martial arts with him...good shape for you and i think the confidence building (which he may need after getting beat up) would last him a lifetime - not to mention what happens NEXT time these boys decide to mess with him...:stoopid:

And, if you don't get anywhere, quietly take your son and start martial arts with him...good shape for you and i think the confidence building (which he may need after getting beat up) would last him a lifetime - not to mention what happens NEXT time these boys decide to mess with him...:stoopid:

Excellent idea. Our entire family took tae kwon do for 4 years. The difference in our kids was amazing. The confidence that it builds makes a huge difference. A good instructor teaches kids how to walk away with confidence.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear this Josh. This is definitely an instant hot button for all of us that are parents. I probably wouldn't file charges, because I think some of this stuff is just going to happen. It happened when I was in school too, but at that age some of it just comes with growing up.

I will say though if the one kid does geniunely have a history of it I would do as Skydivr said and speak with his parents. If it's one of those cases where the "apple doesn't fall from the tree" and they act like it's nothing then I would probably consider charges.

Good luck with whatever you decide. :thumbsup:

I agree to try and talk with the parents. And I'm not one for violence, but sometimes you need to do what you can to protect yourself. I don't know anything about your situation, but if you can afford it, maybe see if your son wants to enroll with you in a mixed martial arts (MMA) class. It'll certainly give him some confidence.

I can understand your frustration...been there before. I have a 13 and 16 yr old i can send your way to work em' over, you know just for some initial satisfaction....:sneaky:

Last edited:
11 is a tough age...kids are beginning to join cliques and shallow things such as the way one dresses or looks start to come into play. Bullies run rampant nowadays and its all social chaos to find ones place to fit in.

Glad to hear he wasn't hurt and that only his ego took a blow. +1 on looking into some martial arts for him. Its great physically and even better mentally...building ones self confidence can go a long way for later in life.

Good luck w/ everything.

I hope everything remains quiet for your son. If it were me I would definitely talk to the other kids parents and see what they're doing to teach their kids that school is for learning, and not training for the WWE. With that being said the way that your son handles his daily school life is going to be important too. Is he going to be intimidated? Are other bullies going to mess with him, or just these delinquents? I sincerely hope that your son is comfortable going to school. School is stressful enough, without worrying about bullies. I hate to say it but sometimes school is like jail, if you don't assert yourself people are going to think you're soft. Hopefully he'll figure something out to keep people off his back.

Last edited:
Let your first minute with the other parents be your guide.
anytime past that will be BS !

Kids will get picked on and I'm sorry but yes I agree sign him up for some mixed martial arts and let him go ultimate fighter on just one kid just one .
Quick choke or a one time pop that drops someone and it will be all over.
Sorry to advocate violence but it seems these kids have picked yours for a reason .
Like lions they look for easy prey. Not that your kid is , he is prolly what every parent wants a well mannered kid but unfortunately in today's age kids have to defend themselves every once in a while .
Let him bite one of those lions back and he will roam free for a ling time .
Not to mention chicks dig guys who put bullies in their place !
Only thing is then you have to worry about getting sued !
It sucks being a parent .

I know just take your AK47 to the meeting tomorrow !
No that won't work either .
Sucks being the good guy with the good kid doesn't it !

Could just walk right into the office and proceed instantly to beat the living crap out of other kids dad and then when done with him while dripping in his fathers blood you look kid in the eye and ask him nicely to leave Jr alone !

No that won't work ?
Sucks being the good guy don't it !

Oh well here is something you can do
:beerchug: :beerchug:
not much else ?

My son (13) and i both took a self defense class put on by the local sheriffs office. Lasted for 8, 2 hour sessions. taught him a good lesson on how to deal with bullies. No need to be a Chuck Norris. Just some self confidence and a little positioning works wonders.

Let the school press charges, have your say with the parents, but above all... give your child the tools to take charge in the next situation.

and if you want Adam is almost four .
He has real big muscles and can take out these bullies for you .
Doesn't have to worry bout getting suspended either !

one kid has a history of trouble, i would be pressing charges. jumping a younger boy and outnumbering him, not good. maybe if the other parents call and talk with you, then maybe not. see how long you have to file the charges.

Exactly how I feel. Apparently what has been done in the past to this boy has not worked. Time to step it up and give him a real world experience.

Back