2010 Homeowners Insurance Premium up 25%!!

skydivr

Jumps from perfectly good Airplanes
Donating Member
USAA is trying to raise my homeowner's premium by 25%!

That will cause me to shop elsewhere after being their loyal customer for 25 years. They have GOT to be kidding.

I am protesting on phone right now.

USAA also has a Subscriber's Savings account for which I got a refund.

What I'm ticked about is the percentage increase and trying to get them to justify it.

Call your Insurance Commissioner. They're the one's that likely allowed the rate increase.

Contact Information:

TN Department of Commerce and Insurance
500 James Robertson Pkwy
Davy Crockett Tower
Nashville, TN 37243-0565

Phone: (615) 741-2241

Thanks VB gonna have to try that as soon as USAA answers me.

Man thats crazy, I didnt get any increases nearly that much on my trucks, bike or renters insurance ... must be something in TN or your area specifically ???

Man thats crazy, I didnt get any increases nearly that much on my trucks, bike or renters insurance ... must be something in TN or your area specifically ???

Thinking the same thing. I am with USAA as well and mine only went up a little bit, not nearly 25% though.

It's because of Haiti......it MIGHT happen here so you have to pay for it up front.... :poke:

Here was their response to my inquiry:

Dear Sir,

Thank you for allowing me the time to research the increase in your Homeowner Policy. I was able to find the main reason for the increase is due to a rate revision we had in the state of Tennessee. Another reason for the increase in the premium is due to the type of roof that you have. Due to increased claims in Tennessee on the composition shingle roofs we had to change revise the rates. Here is a list of things we looked at when considering the rate revision:

Roof rating factors vary by:

1) Resistance of the dwelling s roof type to damage

2) Expected lifetime of the roof

3) Cost to replace the roof

If you have any further questions please feel free to either give me a call or reply directly to this e-mail.

---------

I call BS. About to call state now.

Wow, looks like they did a double whammy on you. General rate increase + targetted increase. Did you change your roof recently, or are they just now noticing?

I don't know how bad yours is Keith but we went from paying 750.00 a year to just under 3k. It's at 2875.00 I think. Living in paradise has it's drawbacks!

I don't even have a large home either. your typical 3 bdrm 2 bath brick home. 1800 sqft. Nothing fancy...thank goodness, that would cost me more! :laugh:

Good luck.

I don't know how bad yours is Keith but we went from paying 750.00 a year to just under 3k. It's at 2875.00 I think. Living in paradise has it's drawbacks!

I don't even have a large home either. your typical 3 bdrm 2 bath brick home. 1800 sqft. Nothing fancy...thank goodness, that would cost me more! :laugh:

Good luck.

Yep here in Florida IF you can get someone to write a homeowners policy the premium is staggering. The year after the hurricanes 05 i believe. Mine went up about 225% and soon after property taxes followed suit.

Hell and after the winter were having, paradise is getting pretty darned cold!

State of TN says that yes, they allowed a lot of insurance companies to raise their rates this year. The man says that while companies used to make a lot of $$ in financial products (banking, credit cards, etc.) now all of that is gone. He says some people have called with 40 and 50% increases.

The local State Farm Agent is my neighbor have already got a call into him. Gonna see how this plays out. Man I really hate to leave USAA. I may find out I've been getting and are getting one heck of a deal, but now I'm going to be forced to find out.

Last edited:
I suspected FL would get hit; but I don't live in FL (but that doesn't matter as I'm at least paying for part of those losses).

VB, no change in my roof house built in 02 roof is still good.

Oh yeah, to add insult to injury, they found out they were underestimating my square footage...so there is now an additional adjustment....:banghead:

Seems again us "little guys" get the shaft. Market falls ...rates go up. High claims...rates go up. Property value undervalued have to adjust...rates and taxes go up.

Maybe at some point us workers will be able to raise our own pay to help offset our expenses.

Back