Kid controls air traffic at JFK

Blanca BusaLess

Suffers from PBSD
Donating Member
Registered
Am I the only one who sees nothing wrong with it ?
Listen to the tape. There is obviously someone assuming his father standing right over his shoulder telling him exactly what to say !
Not like they turned it over to him and went out for a smoke !
He only let a couple planes clear to go. Directed no landings nor any diversions.
I dont see how anyone could have poss been in jeopardy.
The guys father is right there coaching him.

Listen to the tape.
The kid did and awesome job, 100%.
Every pilot involved loved it and most likely thought of their own kids and assumed what a great inspiration for the little guy.
Now how do you think he feels having gotten daddy in trouble ?

Now the whole world wants to crucify him amd OMG we cant believe how stupid this was and OMG and OMG and OMG....

I say Good God get a life people the guy took his son to work and let him have some fun.
I understand the nature of what a flight controller does but still as I said I heard no complaints from the pilots.
In fact they were enjoying a happy moment in an otherwise dull monotenous job.

???

goodgrief.jpg

Agree'd don't think it was as terrible as people are making out to sound. Its not like the guy was like "alright here is scope you watch the dots and keep them apart, I'm going for coffee"

Being an air traffic controller myself, albeit against the rulez, I can tell you there was no danger in what happened, the kid was just parroting what dad was telling him to say. Its not like someone broke into the tower cab and started issuing a bunch of bogus control instructions. That kid sounded better than some of the trainees I have..:laugh:

As a dad it really brought tears to my eyes.
Could you hear the joy in the kids voice ?

That was the coolest thing ever and I'm sure when hes 20 he would have talked about it with his chest out saying thats why I am now an ATC..

But..

Now he will hang his head low and remember the day he got dad desked and later fired....

Slow day at war I guess , nobodys son or daughter has died today so lets ruin this guys life !

Slow day at war I guess , nobodys son or daughter has died today so lets ruin this guys life !

I agree with everything you said less this part, surely that wasn't the reason for the up roar. Silly sure, but knowing your daughters plane was heading down that runway would you feel differently? Had there been an accident everyone would be crying for blood.

A co-worker just mentioned to me, how would you feel about your surgeon bringing his son to work and "instructing" the nurses sure it would just be for fun, but its only when your not on the table so to speak.

There is such things as jobs this just shouldn't be done at, if he didn't clear this by his boss he should be desked at least for a minute, if it was ok'd and he is still getting punished that's another story.

Aaah i dont know surgeon to a kid talking on a radio is a far stretch of a comparison.

And yes if I was on the plane with my whole family I would feel fine if I heard a kid say
'your clear to take off'

Cmon

No diff than a kid waving the checkered flag at a race..

Trillion in debt, kids dying overseas, no health care......lets fry this guy !
Dont make sense

try being the guy/gal sitting on that plane. In these examples the kid did no harm, however what if there had been an emergency and the dad could not regain control of the mic quickly enough. If he is coaching his kids along, is he really paying the proper attention to his scope? Obviously someone thought it was a violation, how else did it come out to the public? The fact is while yes its cool that the kid got to play dad, it was clearly a violation of the rules. His punishment should fit the crime and it would seem that his job is in jeopardy.....and being a member of the weekly/daily flying public, I would tend to agree with that punishment.

Look at the bigger picture. This guy got away with it, no harm no foul right? But what if this happened in other areas, what if something almost happened or did happen? Too many things that "could" go wrong in that environment so this guy will be the poster child for what not to do or what happens when you break the rules so others do not try to duplicate it.

Nothing wrong with it. I could care less
Dunno if it was cleared or not but could care less. We can't stop people from getting on our planes with bombs. Think that should be worried about before daddy and me day at work.
Posted via Mobile Device

I think that DAD prolly had a 2nd set of ohones on and could have in an instant done whatever needed.

A more extreme example here where a kid was actually allowed to control the plane and it ended in disaster.
Aeroflot Flight 593 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Still dont think after listening to the tape anything horrible was done.
Sure one or two days pay lost.
Maybe he has to work the weekend , but cmon....the whole world up in arms..

Simple fact that it 'got out' publicly and now heads will roll.
I bet his boss and that guys boss and their boss knew but now sorry.......Uh duh I cant believe he did that...
Happens everywhere no matter the occupation.

I'm almost positive it had nothing to do with being leaked over outrage it was leaked for a payday.
Posted via Mobile Device

and in the end who has lost...

the kid...

that glee is gone...for sure....

prolly heard daddy crying in the bathroom already ...

I also saw nothing wrong with it. It may not have been the smartest thing to do but what can you do. I taxi aircraft here in ATL and I can tell you that I could understand that kid a lot better then some of our controllers. :poke:

The dad is a clown and had no business letting little Johnny put hundreds of lifes at risk, just for his amusement. Kids have no business being in that work area let alone giving flight orders to pilots.

Hopefully the father gets fired, then the supervisor, who let this nonsense go on...not once, but two seperate occasions with two different brats ..........errrr kids, he definitely needs to get the axe.

Hope they had their fun. Hell the more I hear about this story the more it pisses me off. I think I might have been on one of those flights :laugh: Yeah if you fly several times a month it may give you a different perspective on the horrible potential that this scenario had.

The dad is a clown and had no business letting little Johnny put hundreds of lifes at risk, just for his amusement. Kids have no business being in that work area let alone giving flight orders to pilots.

Hopefully the father gets fired, then the supervisor, who let this nonsense go on...not once, but two seperate occasions with two different brats ..........errrr kids, he definitely needs to get the axe.

Hope they had their fun. Hell the more I hear about this story the more it pisses me off. I think I might have been on one of those flights :laugh: Yeah if you fly several times a month it may give you a different perspective on the horrible potential that this scenario had.

And thats why it is what it is. No one was put in any sort of risk. I would worry more about the pilots being drunk than this.

What I saw on the news is it got out cuz there's some website that records ATC traffic and it was on there. No one was hurt, the pilots seemed to enjoy it. This should just fade away...

Kids have no place in an ATC tower. Too much going on to have any distractions. It disrupts the entire control room. All the controllers need to concentrate on what they are doing. I am sure the other controllers were distracted from their jobs. The whole deal is a recipe for a disaster. People are nervous enough flying these days, they don't need boneheads making bonehead decisions. Get rid of him and the supervisor.

Mofuggahere I think one of my passports may speak a little as to my travel exp....???
99% of these are Intl overseas flights.
I have 2 more would you like to see them !

Kid did nada wrong but it seems some think he did .
Not my employee not my decision.

passport.JPG

thats the world we live in.....nobody wants to deal with reality. we want to deal in "what if".

the reality is that nothing happened. the reality is that a qualified Controller, told the boy what to say....and the boy did it. I heard the tape, and the one with the girl.....none of the pilots even cared. most thought it was cute, amusing and a pleasant break in a long stressful day.

people today want to be outraged, they work hard to find things that anger or offend them....

we live in a country that has so many problems, but fixing the real problems takes real work. it is far easier to be outraged over silly things like this.

I dont think he did anything wrong.... Telling a plane its clear for take off, or relaying them to departure isnt exactly rocket science...

and FYI, this wasnt leaked or let out...

it was heard on the internet and thats what caused the hubub...it went viral, and people got a burr up there butt...

you can listen to ATC's online if your really that bored... just search streaming air traffic control...

thats the world we live in.....nobody wants to deal with reality. we want to deal in "what if".

the reality is that nothing happened. the reality is that a qualified Controller, told the boy what to say....and the boy did it. I heard the tape, and the one with the girl.....none of the pilots even cared. most thought it was cute, amusing and a pleasant break in a long stressful day.

people today want to be outraged, they work hard to find things that anger or offend them....

we live in a country that has so many problems, but fixing the real problems takes real work. it is far easier to be outraged over silly things like this.

X2. Everyone needs a reason to be outraged it seems these. Getting tired of hearing about it too.
Posted via Mobile Device

No Harm, No Foul?

In a way I see it as no big deal,but the "What If" is what got attention. Insurance companies don't find it amusing and a simple mistake could of land a very expensive "What If".

Better to be safe then sorry when dealing with other people lives without them knowing?

Bad publicity is easy to sell, which makes it hard on what seems like an innocent act.

Back