Reinforcing a tin shed?

Vonderbach

Your AD here!
Donating Member
Registered
Ok, I admit it, I made a mistake. I bought one of those pre-fab metal buildings...the really thin tin metal variety. I spent a good $2000 on it since it's 12' x 20', but the building itself it like a heavy duty tent...if a tent were made of tin. ;) So I'm trying to come up with a way to reinforce it so that I don't get the feeling I'm going to blow away every time a wind comes along. The shed is anchored in concrete, so the frame won't budge...it's the 8 feet between the trusses that worries me. And to top it all off, I have a series of leaks coming from a poorly designed roof cap.

So I'm wondering if any of you have any history with this type of project?
I'm in a bad way guys...... :banghead:

I need photos but you may want to take the sheathing off and put some metal strapping at 4' on center then put your sheathing back on and screw through the strapping as well as the joists / studs. I would also put strapping corner to corner and screw through it to give it more sheer strength.

i got mine from carolina carports... no issues...heavy snow on top...condensation drips only and its steel sheets for them..paid 2500 for 12x30 and 10'

I need photos but you may want to take the sheathing off and put some metal strapping at 4' on center then put your sheathing back on and screw through the strapping as well as the joists / studs. I would also put strapping corner to corner and screw through it to give it more sheer strength.
Would that give the tin itself more rigidity? While I like your idea about increasing sheer strength, I'm thinking that's a sure fire idea. Thanks.

i got mine from carolina carports... no issues...heavy snow on top...condensation drips only and its steel sheets for them..paid 2500 for 12x30 and 10'

Stop bragging. :laugh:

VB what kind of shed costs 2k and isnt fairly strong to begin with ?
Not being smart.

Reason I ask is our shed got smashed a few yrs ago from Hurricane.
Ins gave us enough to get a new one.

Got it from Teds Sheds.
Hurricane proof, reinforced and anchored for around same.

Is it too late to take it back and get another better one ?
If so maybe the pics and descrips here in link will give you some ideas ?

Ted's Sheds, West Palm Beach, FL, Best Value...

Thing is solid and already been thru one TS at about 80mph.

Utility

Don't get me wrong, the frame is rigid and quite durable, but the tin that is attached is still just crappy tin and in heavy winds it buckles and makes me feel like it's going to cave in....I'm sure it won't but it's still a horrible feeling.

i just want to sure it up so that the shell is a bit more durable. I'm considering putting foam sheets along the inside to give the tin more rigidity and insulation, but I wanted to see if anyone here had any better suggestions.

Is there anyway you could put studs inside to screw the siding to? If it's on concrete, maybe you could put a base plate down and build interior walls. Just a thought.

Is there anyway you could put studs inside to screw the siding to? If it's on concrete, maybe you could put a base plate down and build interior walls. Just a thought.

That's actually a good idea...not sure why I didn't think of it. I'm not the most mechanically inclined person in the world.

:beerchug:

Thanks!

you can pick up some metal studs at any home depot, lowes, etc. they should give more "structure" to the building.

Maybe a dumb question, can you build a wood frame under it? Or maybe in the areas where there are gaps?

I'm assuming there is no sheathing between the tin and frame??? I've built a few tin faced structures, but I always put the tin over sheathing. You can get it for under $15 a sheet(32 sq ft). Would definitely add rigidity to facade if that's what you're worried about.

I would have to agree with everyone else and say take off metel tin and put some cheap plywood underneath then reinstall tin if nothing else put plywood inside after insulation if you dont want to go to all the trouble then youll have an insulated buld and solid ..
good luck:beerchug:

Great ideas guys, I knew I could count on you!

I really like the stud bracing idea....and teddy went further with the metal studs...a great way to keep it uniform.

So I have to fix the leaks (don't ask) and get the side reinforced...then I can hook up the power and maybe a sink......oh boy. :beerchug:

i know in tornado land they toss aircraft cable over the roof and anchor it down to the ground with some really really long rods pounded in the ground..but u could drill into the concrete and anchor to that i would suppose

I was gonna suggest the same thing as Shadetree did. I would get the metal studs that they sometimes use in new buildings and use them to build walls. You could also use them to somehow build trusses for the roof. Good luck with the fix. :thumbsup:

I'll take pix when I'm done. Going to attempt to do it this weekend.

Thanks again everyone! :beerchug:

i have a 20x60 im sturdying up by screwing 2x4s to the tin, 1" Styrofoam board on the tin, and particle board screwed to the 2x4s over the foam, and "great stuff" expanding foam everywhere, every crack leak or draft. made the building much stiffer and warmer. i'll go take a pic for ya and post it in a few.

hope these help. sorry the last one is kinda fuzzy, but as i tell my kid "ya get what ya get, and ya don't throw a fit.":laugh:

erase these pics 034.jpg

erase these pics 035.jpg

erase these pics 036.jpg

Back