Identity Theft Protection

05 Busa LE

Donating Member
Registered
Any recommendations on ID theft protection companies?

Is a company like LifeLock any better than subscribing to something similar that would come directly from one of the three reporting companies (Equifax, Experian, TransUnion)?

Thanks in advance.

Had lifelock ... when I had an identity worth protecting :laugh: Friend of mine told me that 99% of the things that they do to protect your identity you can do yourself.. Hopefully some one else can help with that if not i guess I could find out. Some letters that get sent out that put a stop to those pre approved crap you get in the mail ( haven't had that problem in quite a while :laugh:) and some other letter that goes out preventing you from recieving an approval for loans. These letters an notification have to be done every year cause it expires year. so I guess to get rid of the hassle an have the million dollar guarantee depending on your financial situation may sound appealing.

Right now if someone stole my identity I may possibly welcome it :laugh:

Last edited:
For those credit card and loan approvals to stop coming in the mail; OptOutPrescreen.com

Don't know if it stops 'em from lookin ya up though.

Yeah, Lifelock charges you for info you can get for free. Your better off just checking Equifax, Experian, TransUnion. Since you can get a free credit report from them once a year, just get one from each company every 3 months. :beerchug:

That's what I figured ... get one free report every four months.

But is it worth it to pay, for example, $10/month to Experian to check their own report, TransUnion's report, and Equifax's report, every day for suspicious activity, and to also troll the Internet for suspicious use of your SS and credit card numbers?

If you really think you have something going on with your CC or SS you might want to try paying them for a few month or a year to keep an eye on it. Other then that I would just check it every so often. If someone has your info, they wont wait to use it.

I had some checks stolen out of my jeep, and even after I cancled them the people who took them were able to make fake ones with my account # on them. They wait for about a month and then started to go to town with my money. Luckily I was able to get everything back though. But even after that, I just use my free credit reports to keep an eye on things just in case.

not sure really anymore. I had a rash of calls saying "where do you want us to ship x" I was like, wtf are you talking about, never heard of it. hell I even had an insurance company call me to verify stuff. My phone was ringing all the time. Decided that while I could probably effect change on my own, the $100 I paid to Lifelock was worth me not having to do it all. I was right, within 3 days the calls stopped. I have not had so much as a peep from anything like it since signing up. Could it be coincidence, yes but for me the $100 was cheaper than me spending time to call each credit place, pulling my reports, etc etc. Really it boils down to do you have time to track down all the stuff or would you rather pay someone, know its getting done and get a guarantee for the work? I will tell you this, my younger sister had her ID stolen in college, she's been out over 10yrs now and STILL has issues from it surface from time to time. The fees you pay someone to monitor your stuff are a heck of a lot cheaper than if someone is successful in stealing your ID.

Last edited:
i dont know if any brought it up buy you personally can freeze your credit so no one can see it or do anything with it, your given a password, now the drawback is if you decide you want something contact them a week in advance so they can unfreeze your credit otherwise the creditor will run into a solid block wall, granted i could do the free things lifelock does but i say what the heck is 10 bucks. so i use lifelock.

there is nothing you can do to prevent someone from stealing your identity...

the only thing you can do is try to mitigate the damage.

I'm so broke and my credit so wrecked I can tell any con man my social security number. I don't need no Life Loc:laugh:

Even if you have a Identity Theft Protection service?

Experian's "ProtectMyID" ($10/month) states that it checks the three national credit services (Experian, Equifax, and TransUnion) every day, and alerts you to any suspicious activity. (I looked for the same on LifeLock but couldn't find it; not sure if they scan every day.) So, there's a chance you could catch it in advance, but it seems like the best you could do was limit the damage.

Also, most services "scan the Internet" to see if others are using your name, address, SS number, etc. Finally, they all seem to provide a service to help in the event you're a victim.

I had a friend who was recently a victim, so that's why I inquired. Thanks for the responses.

I have crappy credit...if someone stole my identity they'd probably help me out:laugh: well until they started calling up all my ladies...:whistle:

i dont know if any brought it up buy you personally can freeze your credit so no one can see it or do anything with it, your given a password, now the drawback is if you decide you want something contact them a week in advance so they can unfreeze your credit otherwise the creditor will run into a solid block wall, granted i could do the free things lifelock does but i say what the heck is 10 bucks. so i use lifelock.

+1 on freeze your credit. Depending on your state, it's free. It does not allow someone to open up new credit lines under your name.

As far as unauthorized charges, you CC company has that part covered. I don't see the need to spend $, but if it gives you peace of mind, do it.

Back