A program for true anonymous surfing and mail

FloydV

Donating Member
Registered
If you don't like the idea of the feds or anyone else looking over your shoulder while you surf, there is new software that is free. It is Open Source software titled I2P. Wikipedia states:

All communication is end-to-end encrypted (in total there are four layers of encryption used when sending a message), and even the end points ("destinations") are cryptographic identifiers (essentially a pair of public keys), so that neither sender nor recipient of a message need to reveal their IP address to the other side or to third-party observers.

This is not the same process as using an anonymous server. That process routes your address through one server for a fee. The anonymous server owner can be compelled to reveal your address. I2P has no central server, but rather a uses a large network of users wherein no one is trusted. Your outgoing and incoming data is scattered in a random fashion across the network. It is also randomly redistributed on the fly. Email is similarly made anonymous through another utility that uses the same system.

The program is located at:
I2P Anonymous Network - I2P

All the wikipedia info is at I2P - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I have installed it and it seems very reliable and it is easy to use. You will notice a drop in speed because so much data is being encrypted and sent in so many directions.

I use Firefox for my browser. All I had to do was change from automatic proxy to manual proxy. You can switch back and forth at will, with automatic revealing your address and manual not. I have attached a picture of that menu. You can see the manual address. My real address is purposely blank. The number and port in the manual entry are the ones you should use.

This program is a joint effort between a team of hackers known only by pseudonyms. I imagine it is a nightmare for government snoops. Even if every single user were pinpointed, no user has any idea what data has passed back and forth via his connection and the data that has passed is recorded nowhere. No user has any idea of the address or identity of any of the others. Even the people who wrote the software wouldn't know what data had passed.

The human mind is not capable of grasping the Universe. We are like a little child entering a huge library. The walls are covered to the ceilings with books in many different tongues. The child knows that someone must have written these books. It does not know who or how. It does not understand the languages in which they are written. But the child notes a definite plan in the arrangement of the books—-a mysterious order which it does not comprehend, but only dimly suspects. -- Albert Einstein

i2p.jpg

Just because I'm paranoid, doesn't mean there not out to get me.

I'm still learning how to use all the functions. It can be really, really slow at times.

There is a message to users to please stop taunting the FBI and similar places.
I guess people are having fun starting denial of service attacks and it is slowing everything down. I would consider that stupid behavior.

The site says that the system is not immune to people with unlimited resources. I'm sure that those people would be really pissed, and there would be jail time for screwing with them.

The software works though. When I am running I2p, H.org doesn't recognize me and wants me to create an account.

Last edited:
Like the Government......:laugh:

Yep. I've been a programmer for more than 20 years and looking at the source code is giving me a headache.

These guys are sharp, and their system is brilliant. The amount of money and time to try and find someone would be really huge. The only way you could get that kind of effort out of the feds would be to mount a denial of service attack.

If you are that stupid, you deserve the attention they will pay.

Think about this software as a way to download music or video without the entertainment police looking at you.

Yep. I've been a programmer for more than 20 years and looking at the source code is giving me a headache.

These guys are sharp, and their system is brilliant. The amount of money and time to try and find someone would be really huge. The only way you could get that kind of effort out of the feds would be to mount a denial of service attack.

If you are that stupid, you deserve the attention they will pay.

Think about this software as a way to download music or video without the entertainment police looking at you.

Did some research...couple of issues. First of all, this type of technology facilitates criminal activity (mostly pedophiles and terrorists). The effort you're referring to by the 'feds' is costing us tax payer money...a whole lot of tax payer money. As much as I hate the thought of my surfing privacy being invaded it's not the 'feds' so much as it is advertisers tracking you to see what your tastes are.

That said, pretty slick tech. If it's anything like toor's etiquette code they will frown on folks using massive amounts of bandwidth to download movies and music. Layered encryption is not synonymous with speed either so good luck with downloading that massive file.

Last edited:
Did some research...couple of issues. First of all, this type of technology facilitates criminal activity (mostly pedophiles and terrorists). The effort you're referring to by the 'feds' is costing us tax payer money...a whole lot of tax payer money. As much as I hate the thought of my surfing privacy being invaded it's not the 'feds' so much as it is advertisers tracking you to see what your tastes are.

That said, pretty slick tech. If it's anything like toor's etiquette code they will frown on folks using massive amounts of bandwidth to download movies and music. Layered encryption is not synonymous with speed either so good luck with downloading that massive file.

Good point about the pedophiles. But, most of them are so stupid they have stuff all over their computers when they get caught. Bugs me though.
As far as the Feds, remember all the warrant less illegal surveillance under Bush? Obama has stated he wants to step up surveillance of the net.

I don't know about terrorists. They have huge amounts of money and countries like China willing to sell them counter measures we couldn't afford.
Still they could use it. You would never know who was routing what through you connection.

There is a lot of spyware and malware and it seems to be increasing.

Speed is an issue. But, as the authors state this is a work in progress. They need a lot more clients.

Back