Fitness Talk

Jet Li

What is the AWESOME????
Donating Member
Registered
With Spring and Summer looming ever closer, I am constantly getting questions about how to get in shape. I answer them, but thought it might benefit my brothers and sisters here on the org if they too had benefit of these conversations.

I am purposefully keeping this simple as the subject of nutrition is like an onion, with many layers, but ya only need to peel back one layer to make yourself cry!

Top question is how to eat. Well, let me start by saying that I do not like any of the fad diets out there (ketogenic, especially). Diets may enable you to see results in quite a short time, but after one gives up on the diet they tend to rebound and gain more weight than they lost! And some of these diets are just not safe or healthy, I mean who can survive on 800 calories a day? I actually had someone explain their diet of 800 calories, and wonder why they had not energy and were irritable all the time??

First, you HAVE TO BE WILLING TO MAKE A LIFESTYLE CHANGE!! Period. Losing 20lbs should not be the ultimate goal, keeping it off after losing it should.

Actually, no rocket science is involved! Just need to burn up more calories than you take in. That is it. How many calories do you need to survive? Cut and paste this link to determine your BMR (basal metabolic rate) this tells you how many calories you use up just doing absolutely nothing.
BMR Calculator

Next, click under the BMR calculator on the Harris Benedict Equation to determine how many calories you need to maintain your current weight based on activity level. For the very lean and very obese this equation is not gonna be precise. So you now have a target, a way to know how many calories (how much food to eat) Lets say a person's BMR comes out to 1820 and the person is very active, according to the Harris Benedict Eq, 1820 X 1.725 = 3,140 calories/day to maintain their current body weight. Just eat less than 3,140 calories and wallah, you will lose some weight. Better still, employ some exercise, (weight lift, cardio, walking the dog, take stairs instead of elevators) and you will lose more weight!

What to eat? First you gotta read food labels to determine how many calories you are eating. You would be VERY surprised at what a serving is if you begin to read food labels. Also try here for nutrition info on things like veggies or whatever you are putting into your diet.
Bodybuilding.com - #1 Food Nutrient Database

Then just count the calories you eat! Get some exercise! Stay away from processed foods and those high in saturated fats (read the label).

Another important thing to do if you are able is to split up the traditional 3 meals per day into 5 or 6 smaller meals. This serves to keep your metabolic machinery working and keep your brain from thinking it is a starvation mode (which makes your biological machinery work to store fat).

An interesting thing to do, just start keeping track of how many calories you eat currently while not eating right or dieting. Be prepared to be shocked!!

Finally, I will make some comments on fat in another post if there is enough interest. Some fats are good and needed! That's right! fat is good!!!

Great info JetLi! Thanks for sharing...I need a serious revamping of habits myself *sigh* It's the commitment part that hurts like hell :banghead:

Great info JetLi! Thanks for sharing...I need a serious revamping of habits myself *sigh* It's the commitment part that hurts like hell :banghead:

Yeah, you just gotta get it in your head to eat right, in the right amounts. Food is seriously an addiction for me. It is a good idea to set yourself one meal a week ( a cheat meal) to eat whatever you like just to keep your sanity and a reward every week gives ya something to look forward to. I literally eat whatever I crave on my cheat meal (McDonalds, Krispy Kreme, Icecream) no limits.......

Excellent post Tom! Some really good information :thumbsup:

Can ya throw in some good toning exercises?

Last edited:
Unless I am eating pre-packaged meals (ie. Lean Cuisines/ Smart Ones/ etc.) i have a hard time figuring out calories. I try to stick to serving sizes on containers.. but things like onions/ potatoes/ lettuce/ smoked pork loin don't exactly have labels.

How do I calculate calories in a recipe? Any suggestions?

Excellent post Tom! Some really good information :thumbsup:

Can ya throw in some good toning exercises?

Sure thing!

For toning, it is a good idea to keep the weight fairly light and reps really high. So, with that in mind, a good weight is one you can do for 15 to 20 repetitions that really begins to be challenging around the last 4 to 5 reps. Always do the chosen movement deliberately (not using momentum). A good rule of thumb is that a single rep should take about 3 to 4 seconds!! So, you see that is not moving very fast, you wanna feel the muscle work, or as some would describe "HURT"!:laugh:

Things that can be done at home, squats, glute kickbacks, lunges, biceps curls, triceps extensions, sit ups, crunches, above the head presses (military presses), bent over rows, good mornings. These are movements that will hit pretty much everything and are really very basic, and that is all ya really need to get lose weight and get toned.

Check out this link, shows and explains many exercises, you just click on the muscle you want to train and up pops lots of things to do for it!!
Bodybuilding.com - #1 Exercises Guide! Over 300+ Free Exercise Videos And Guides!

I will say, about a year ago I just wasn't eating 3 meals anymore (stress) and I started eating the smaller meals throughout the day, not counting calories, but more just ensuring I had something in my system so I wouldn't start getting weak. I didn't always make the best choices (Key Lime Pie was dinner some nights LOL) but the portions were smaller no matter what I ate. I was dropping weight like crazy and feeling great!!

Fast forward to now and I'm not feeling that way anymore *sigh*

Great info, thanks for sharing! So far, I have managed to keep off the 40 lbs I lost in '08 by eating in moderation/counting calories and exercise (daily 5-mile runs). Hasn't been easy but the rewards/payoff are worth it :cheerleader:

Unless I am eating pre-packaged meals (ie. Lean Cuisines/ Smart Ones/ etc.) i have a hard time figuring out calories. I try to stick to serving sizes on containers.. but things like onions/ potatoes/ lettuce/ smoked pork loin don't exactly have labels.

How do I calculate calories in a recipe? Any suggestions?

Yeah, the link I provided helps you determine calories, carbs, protein content on items you listed like the onions, potatoes, lettuce and even the pork loin.

Check this out, it even lists different ways you may prepare the loin, like brazed, broiled, etc....
Bodybuilding.com - Food Nutrients Database: Pork, fresh, loin, center rib (roasts), bone-in, separable lean only, cooked, roasted

Thanks for the post Jet Li, really good info, at 45 I think im coming to the conclusion that I need to be allot more conscious about what's going in my body...I will look into things that you have mentioned.

I will say, about a year ago I just wasn't eating 3 meals anymore (stress) and I started eating the smaller meals throughout the day, not counting calories, but more just ensuring I had something in my system so I wouldn't start getting weak. I didn't always make the best choices (Key Lime Pie was dinner some nights LOL) but the portions were smaller no matter what I ate. I was dropping weight like crazy and feeling great!!

Fast forward to now and I'm not feeling that way anymore *sigh*

:laugh: Just get back to controlling those portion sizes and making smart choices in the food you eat. :thumbsup:

Great info, thanks for sharing! So far, I have managed to keep off the 40 lbs I lost in '08 by eating in moderation/counting calories and exercise (daily 5-mile runs). Hasn't been easy but the rewards/payoff are worth it :cheerleader:

Wow, I wish I could run 5 miles, but my left knee is not with that program anymore!! :laugh::laugh:

Thanks for the post Jet Li, really good info, at 45 I think im coming to the conclusion that I need to be allot more conscious about what's going in my body...I will look into things that you have mentioned.

Excellent! It is one thing to live long, but quite another to live long and enjoy it!!

:laugh: Just get back to controlling those portion sizes and making smart choices in the food you eat. :thumbsup:

That's what I've been doing lately, but I find at night, I feel like I could eat the kitchen! I'm good all day, then late night hits... :banghead:

That's what I've been doing lately, but I find at night, I feel like I could eat the kitchen! I'm good all day, then late night hits... :banghead:

Contrary to the majority, I have no issue with eating late at night. If you hae your metabolism running as it should, it's not an issue. But hold on, before you reach for the ice cream! I usually choose cottage cheese, about 1/2 cup, very slow digesting carbs and the fat content also slows down the digestive process making you feel full longer or mix up a why protein shake. Yogurt is another good one for late night urges. Just mix plain yogurt with a few oz fresh fruit, blue berries, black berries, strawberries, and some granola to sprinkle on top. It is GOOOOODDDD!!

Sure thing!

For toning, it is a good idea to keep the weight fairly light and reps really high. So, with that in mind, a good weight is one you can do for 15 to 20 repetitions that really begins to be challenging around the last 4 to 5 reps. Always do the chosen movement deliberately (not using momentum). A good rule of thumb is that a single rep should take about 3 to 4 seconds!! So, you see that is not moving very fast, you wanna feel the muscle work, or as some would describe "HURT"!:laugh:

Things that can be done at home, squats, glute kickbacks, lunges, biceps curls, triceps extensions, sit ups, crunches, above the head presses (military presses), bent over rows, good mornings. These are movements that will hit pretty much everything and are really very basic, and that is all ya really need to get lose weight and get toned.

Check out this link, shows and explains many exercises, you just click on the muscle you want to train and up pops lots of things to do for it!!
Bodybuilding.com - #1 Exercises Guide! Over 300+ Free Exercise Videos And Guides!

Thank you so much!

who's awesome?......Your Awesome!!! :thumbsup:

Two things that have always worked for me...when I am eating as soon as I feel that I've eaten enough I stop and I won't go for seconds or heaping platefuls...I agree completely with the statement that we need to change our lifestyle...I used to love icecream in the evening with buttterscotch topping...now I will cut up an apple and eat it..and you know what..it is pretty good...one of the best exercises in the world to lose weight...learn how to push yourself away from the dinner table....ha ha...great post Jet Li..2hip

..one of the best exercises in the world to lose weight...learn how to push yourself away from the dinner table....ha ha...

Now that is the truth! :thumbsup:

My wife is a licensed Clinical Dietician...except I have a hard time paying attention to her :poke:

Back