Tie down system

lavinrac

Lav's towin service.
Donating Member
Registered
Yes I know there are threads upon threads of how to tie down a busa.

I am going to try a new steal tie down system on mine, from a guy I met last year at RoT. It hauls around Harleys and other fat bodied beasts with no issue and if all is well the days of straps will be no more.

My question to you guys is this.

Do you think the Swing arm bolt is a good balance location for a tie down system? Ive seen how he has them setup for other bikes and we went into great discussion about movement and balance of the bike. We also got measurements for the whole setup to be made for the busa specifically. I don't personally see any reason why it should not work but would like thoughts.

You can get a general idea here -> Motorcycle Tie Down system by Moki Creations

Bring the side arms back further to pin through the swingarm bolt without damaging fairings.

With the guys current setups for larger cruisers the bikes give no movement side to side, but leaves the suspension free to absorb the bumps you find on the road.

Looks like an interesting concept. I need to spend a little more time on their site to see exactly what & where the stabilizing rods attach to.

What are you going to use to haul your bike?

How do they propose to fasten the pivot point to your bike? It would have to stick out pretty far to get past the fairing down to the unit? Looks like a good system for my springer!
Good luck Lav

How do they propose to fasten the pivot point to your bike? It would have to stick out pretty far to get past the fairing down to the unit? Looks like a good system for my springer!
Good luck Lav

Since we cant just attach it like the others. The reason I asked about the Swing arm bolt is we thought about pushing a rod through the middle of the swing arm bolt extended out on both ends to clear the fairings.

Of course the rod would not be a permanent fixture. When installed The rod would be firmly in place by nuts and washers with a pad holding against the swingarm bolt to prevent scratching. It would extend out and angle enough for the brace rods to clear plastics. Does that clarify a little?

If you can think of a better way to hold the bike without hitting plastics im all ears.. I am getting ahold of him next week to discuss this further, and any other possible ideas on positioning. Hence why im asking yall...

Please note this is a prototype for the busa and im getting it for basically nothing. So I am the guinea pig so to speak, but would like the best solution for this situation. If it works great ill have it at the bash in my truck. :)

Ok Lav, i get your idea. The rod used would have to be plenty strong so it doesnt bend. Then it needs to be threaded so you can tighten it to the frame as you said with pads against the frame. Then the ends of the rod should extend out far enough to clear the side fairings. Sounds good.

I have seen guys use a rod thru that hole and jack stands to support their bikes, see no reason this wouldnt work well. Not like im an engineer or anything, but i would do it if i was a trailer queen! :poke: :rofl: :rofl:

Lifes a Carnival!

Hard to say if center of gravity has anything to do with nothing but, I'm thinking the swingarm pivot may be a little low. Looking at all the pics on that site it appears that the angle of the tiedown rods is a big factor. I mean the rods can't be too vertical or the suspension won't travel and they can't be too horizontal or the front wheel chock would be the only thing keeping the bike upright. ??? Damn geometry!

Last edited:
Hard to say if center of gravity has anything to do with nothing but, I'm thinking the swingarm pivot may be a little low. Looking at all the pics on that site it appears that the angle of the tiedown rods is a big factor. I mean the rods can't be too vertical or the suspension won't travel and they can't be too horizontal or the front wheel chock would be the only thing keeping the bike upright. ??? Damn geometry!

Well the tiedown rods will be shorter and the legs for the rods will be further back to give the "correct" support.

I have tried a few things like you describe.
If you run a rod through the front axle, rear axle, and/or swingarm, you can attach from there.
I won't support anything from my bars (like cayon Dancers)
I won't load up my suspension by compressing it in any way.
Here is my first attempt.
I have made a rod that goes through the rear axle, and will support that by the rear stand for next year (too much snow now) and I will post pics of that in the spring.
The front axle and rear axle the new way is plenty IMO.
I will leave off the swing arm rod.
Good luck!

https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/gene...-tie-busa-down-trailer-no-spring-loading.html

Or you can go this route. A sure thing. Very easy to load.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

On the front fairing...where you have your sliders made out of plastic (is it called delrin)..just drill through one of the sides and put your tie down hook through the end of the slider and out through the hole you drilled...snug it down and you are good...no damage to plastics ever...works..I like the pit bull system but it is way expensive and you have to have it permanently attached to your trailer..and you have to roll over 4 times...2 wheels..in and out...PITA in my opinion. 2hip

Back