Computer Geeks, help me with new video Card!

skydivr

Jumps from perfectly good Airplanes
Donating Member
Need help in figuring out what kind of video card I can buy to upgrade the card that I've got my machine now (Dell Dimension XPS Gen 5). The video card in it right now is a 256MB PCI Express 16 ATI Radeon X850 XT Platinum addition)

I want to replace this card. I've got a humongous box and power supply so I have the room, slots and power, but I'm not sure of what kind of card I need to buy. I'm not trying to play video games, but I need something stronger to help with my video editing Software (Adobe Premier Elements). I'm also running two monitors so I'd like one with minimum 2 HDMI slots (don't need HDMI output). I'd like to spend no more than about $120.

This machine is a Intel Pentium D 840 Extreme Edition Dual Core w/HT Technology, 4GB DDR2 SDRAM at 667 MHz (straight off my invoice). This machine when purchased (9/05) was one of the most powerful machines Dell made, so it' s not a slouch just yet (jeez, almost 5 years old).

Look at these pics and tell me if you can what I've got and what I can use.

Here's what ATI says about the card that I had:

http://ati.amd.com/products/radeonx850/specs.html

Pics follow hope this helps thanks much!

IMG_0291.jpg

IMG_0292.jpg

IMG_0294.jpg

Last edited:
yes and no

your current MB is v 1.0 , v 2.0 cards are backwords compatable with v 1.0
v2 card run at half speed, but can still be faster then a v1 card

because your compter is old your CPU and memory and mb will be the bottle neck
just dont go crazy with the top of the line v2 when it may run like a lower end card

best question for you is how much do you want to spend

then go find the one in your price range with the most processors and most memory on it.

yes and no

your current MB is v 1.0 , v 2.0 cards are backwords compatable with v 1.0
v2 card run at half speed, but can still be faster then a v1 card

because your compter is old your CPU and memory and mb will be the bottle neck
just dont go crazy with the top of the line v2 when it may run like a lower end card

best question for you is how much do you want to spend

then go find the one in your price range with the most processors and most memory on it.

Been searching all over newegg.com, but am confused. Know I don't need top of line card as it would be a waste with older computer. Any recommendations that would get me as far as I could go with the motherboard/CPU combo I have? Thanks? Didn't expect to spend more than $120 and looks like even that amount would be a waste. Recommendation?

I may still have a BFG 8800 GTX 768MB vid card lying around. unfortunately I don't have have any with 2 HDMI ports. Maybe you are saying you need 1 with 2 DVI ports??

If you need the HDMI instead of the DVI you can always get adapters.

HDMI Cable, Home Theater Accessories, HDMI Products, Cables, Adapters, Video/Audio Switch, Networking, USB, Firewire, Printer Toner, and more!

You cannot get a video card with 2 HDMI outputs as there is no way to get the card to act as 2 sound cards.

At this point in time the technology does not allow it. Best way is to just get a dual DVI card with 2 HDMI adapters for just the video or 1 HDMI and 1 DVI with HDMI adapter.

This will fill your needs nicely bro and under $90

HIS Radeon HD 5670 (Redwood) IceQ 512MB GDDR5 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

Back