Pool Cleaning Service

Kento-Moto

Hayabusa Immortal
Donating Member
Registered
Anyone here own a pool cleaning service? I am thinking of buying one and I have a couple questions ...

Thanks - Kent

I hate cleaning my pool so come on over. I would think it's a busy job. I'm always seeing trucks with the gear in the back. Good luck if you deceide to get into it.

From what I have been told, there can be some money made in it, but you have to work your a@@ off to get it. From dawn to dark. Plus around the summer holidays everyone wants thier pool cleaned at one time. The scenery might be pretty good at times though!!
Good luck with your venture bro. :beerchug:

Try Pool Maintence And cleaning. Maintence meaning pool Equiptment, filters, Water lines, Pool Coping, Grout, Pool sweep, Clorine, Cover, Ect.

Anyone here own a pool cleaning service? I am thinking of buying one and I have a couple questions ...

Thanks - Kent

Good luck on the big adventure of owning your own business. I used to work for a moving company and like in the pool business the scenery is pretty good from time to time. :beerchug:

There is money in it.. Your up front cost are nat as bad as say a lawn serivce. Figure on about 4 to 5K, not counting the truck.

A pool service is in my business plan for next year as a add on.. You best best on the billing is to set up a 12 month plan. I do that here with all service contracts on lawns as well as big landscape jobs. It keeps me from going out and having to find work in the off season when people are more worried about spending money on Christmas then their yard.

Also check with the state for any certs needed for running a pool service there. I dont need any special things here as most chemicals are over the counter at any walmart.

And do offer just one sevice.. As in dont be just the pool cleaning guy. Do it all, cleaning, chem checks, pump service, the whole nine yards.. If you dont someone will and you will loose a customer..

Hope that helped a little bit..

I have done research into it and it is a money maker just got ot get the jobs.

You best best on the billing is to set up a 12 month plan. I do that here with all service contracts on lawns as well as big landscape jobs. It keeps me from going out and having to find work in the off season when people are more worried about spending money on Christmas then their yard.
I'm curious as to how this works. Say you bid out a year at $12,000. Do they just pay $1,000 a month instead of paying per service?

Hey Guyz, Thanks for all the suggestions.

Here are more details :

The guy who is selling his biz is a friend of mine ( kinda more of an aquaintance,) rides a Gix 1K. He's about 60 and has sadly has terminal cancer.
I used to clean pools in the early 80's and with better filters and automatic sweeps it seems to have become easier than it used to be. Yes the billing is for year around and complete service and then there is the extras, like chemicals and pumps ...

The Good : :cheerleader:

1. He works only 3 and 1/2 days per week
2. Gets to be out doors alot
3. Nice scenery
4. Dec-March very little to do at each stop, no leaves, no swim ...
5. Each location avgs $100 per month 74 pools = $7400 per month + extras.
6: Very few Mexican competitors, unlike yard & Janitorial svs.

The Bad : :(

1. He wants $70K but will sell to me for $60k
2. Includes very little equipt and chemicals.
3. All clients are month 2 month ( they could all quit next month. )
4. Blue Sky? ???
5. $60k would just about clean out the bank account and I would still need a small truck

The Ugly? : ???

I am thinking of just starting my own but it would be months maybe years before I had a decent client base and there is alot of competition around here but there is a lot of pools too. I think I would offer $30k but the guy is dying and I dont want to insult him and his wife. He also has other folks interested but I think they dont have cash. Another service wants to buy about 1/2 of his best customers.

So there it is... any other comments? Thanx again. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
I'm curious as to how this works. Say you bid out a year at $12,000. Do they just pay $1,000 a month instead of paying per service?

you pretty much nailed it on the head.. I just finished a 21K landscape redo a few weeks ago. I broke it into 30% down and the rest in 12 even payments over 12 months with 0% intrest..

On jobs where i have to provide product, like landscape jobs lighting jobs and so on I try for the biggest deposit I can get as ot cover my out of pocket costs. On jobs where its mostly labor, or a yearly service contract I just break the contract into 12 payments.. I find it helps my sign more contracts, and come Nov, to Feb im not sitting home with no income.

Hey Guyz, Thanks for all the suggestions.

Here are more details :

The guy who is selling his biz is a friend of mine ( kinda more of an aquaintance,) rides a Gix 1K. He's about 60 and has sadly has terminal cancer.
I used to clean pools in the early 80's and with better filters and automatic sweeps it seems to have become easier than it used to be. Yes the billing is for year around and complete service and then there is the extras, like chemicals and pumps ...

The Good : :cheerleader:

1. He works only 3 and 1/2 days per week
2. Gets to be out doors alot
3. Nice scenery
4. Dec-March very little to do at each stop, no leaves, no swim ...
5. Each location avgs $100 per month 74 pools = $7400 per month + extras.
6: Very few Mexican competitors, unlike yard & Janitorial svs.

The Bad : :(

1. He wants $70K but will sell to me for $60k
2. Includes very little equipt and chemicals.
3. All clients are month 2 month ( they could all quit next month. )
4. Blue Sky? ???
5. $60k would just about clean out the bank account and I would still need a small truck

The Ugly? : ???

I am thinking of just starting my own but it would be months maybe years before I had a decent client base and there is alot of competition around here but there is a lot of pools too. I think I would offer $30k but the guy is dying and I dont want to insult him and his wife. He also has other folks interested but I think they dont have cash. Another service wants to buy about 1/2 of his best customers.

So there it is... any other comments? Thanx again. :thumbsup:

Ok if the 60K will empty your bank, I would say stay away from it.. Right now is a very hard time to get new customers. Everyone in the service industry is working twice as hard as 2 years ago, for half the money.

If you do go through with it see if he will train you. As in he works for you for 5 or 6 months. This will get his custoemrs use to you, and will build a bond with them and you.

Dont forget you need to advertise, and a LOT. it takes someone seeing your ad 20 times or more before they call you ( the reason I put out over 6500 flyers so far this year, only 900,000 more ot go, then start over)

On the truck issue, I would suggest soemthing that looks good. People do not want to see a old beat up truck in front of their house.. Your projected image will speak volumes..

I think its a good idea if the money is right. But dont bet your family on it unless your 100% sure it will work, and you talk to God about it!

Starting a new business in a competitive industry is not easy. Your first few years will be rough. Think of things you can offer over what is currently the norm. Target the high-end customer with your marketing as that customer will be there through thick and thin. Retention is key, perfect service is critical spend three days on a job to be sure its right. Don't hire anyone your first two years just get out there and hump it, keeps your overhead down and puts the quality aspect in your full control. If you can merge the pool care and lawn care together that would be a winner. Get solid dealer accounts on chemicals. Good luck....

Matt, thanks for the thoughts.

I have been in the commercial cleaning service for over 30 years in Hawaii but here there is rediculous competition. Image is very import... All my cars, busa, garage are pretty much steller at all times. I will be looking for a tacoma or ranger type small truck about 5 + years old. Advertising is outragously expensive and rarely gets the results needed. I beleive door hangers are probly the best bang for the $. Large Professional graphics on the truck would be good too. Photo quality body wrap would be good. Collared shirts allways are better than just a t-shirt.

As for the training he wants to spend maybe a week or so and then be available by phone after that, sadly he doesnt have 6 mos. I think he will be gone or bed ridden in the next couple months.

Prayer is allways helpful when making any decisions :thumbsup:

Thanks again.

Last edited:
Back