WD 40 axle

busakidaz

Registered
Can I spray WD 40 on my tire axles out side? I left the bike out in the rain (i never said I was a smart man) and now the wheel chirps at low duck walk speed.
SuzukiHayabusa.jpg

WD40 isn't good for rubber.
There are rubber seals on the rear wheel.
Also WD40 will dissolve grease so if it gets into the bearings, that's not good.
It is fairly waterproof into the bearings so I would think if you took the rear wheel off, you could clean off whatever is making it squeak, and pack a little grease into the seal.
JMO

+1 on rotor possibly.
Maybe just a slow drag from the pads squeaking.

Mike1180 I have used WD40 on rubber seals in firearms for yrs.
Works perfect for gas seals on semi auto shotguns.
It has never weakened any of them.

Last edited:
Mike1180 I have used WD40 on rubber seals in firearms for yrs.
Works perfect for gas seals on semi auto shotguns.
It has never weakened any of them.

You've never experienced accumulation of gunk from that? I was always told that WD-40 was a no-no for guns because it gunked up the action.

if the brakes make a squeaking (is that a word?) sound, you're better off to clean them with a proper brake cleaner, cuz like Mike said, WD40 will get rid of grease, so try not to get that in to your bearings hey
:thumbsup:

WD40 isn't good for rubber.
There are rubber seals on the rear wheel.
Also WD40 will dissolve grease so if it gets into the bearings, that's not good.
It is fairly waterproof into the bearings so I would think if you took the rear wheel off, you could clean off whatever is making it squeak, and pack a little grease into the seal.
JMO

Excellent advice! :thumbsup:

I also agree with the folks pointing to the brake rotor. It wouldn't hurt to clean/check your pads as well.

Yes, no wd...if it is the axle, pull the assembly and use spec grease only. I'd prolly run it a couple miles & see if it sorts out.

Back