Outtage Season-I'm gonna need a vacation!

TaxMan

Registered
So I do Nondestructive Examinations for a living, inspecting power plants here in Texas, been doing it for 4 years now with this company.

Just headed away from home, 3-4 months on the road working 7/12's with no Busa, no days off, living in hotel rooms and hoping like hell that everything i left at home will still be safe and sound when i get back.

Guess it will give me time to ponder where to take my vacation when its finally done. Thinking a trip to one of the coasts, just can't decide if I should go East or West. I figure a week or two at the house to make sure everything is settled, and then another week or two on the bike to really unwind!

Any suggestions?

I'm a radiographer what do you do?

I'd say east if your in tx. La and fl are fun.
Posted via Mobile Device

I did RT for about 5 yrs, mostly petrochem down in the Houston area, now mostly phased array UT, + a bit of convetional UT, MT, PT and VT. Takin Lvl III refresher courses up in Ohio this Sept, should get a shot at the test early next yr.

I'll have to look into it that, got a lot of time to think about it, if i make a big enough loop i can sheck out the dragon too.

I'm staying out of the aut. Manual is ok but I don't want/need the aut. Are you union. Don't know of many non union comp us based that were into phased array.

I can't see where your from but if your in tx a lot couldn't you go to asnt and take the lvl 3 there or are they in house courses?

I'm gonna take the wife to new orleans next time we get out. I worked in lake charles area for about 4 months. Currently on the ruby project in nevada. Big aut job. I'm on prefab but the mainline is mostly aut. Think its over 1k mile of automatic welding and aut.
Posted via Mobile Device

So I do Nondestructive Examinations for a living, inspecting power plants here in Texas, been doing it for 4 years now with this company.

Just headed away from home, 3-4 months on the road working 7/12's with no Busa, no days off, living in hotel rooms and hoping like hell that everything i left at home will still be safe and sound when i get back.

Guess it will give me time to ponder where to take my vacation when its finally done. Thinking a trip to one of the coasts, just can't decide if I should go East or West. I figure a week or two at the house to make sure everything is settled, and then another week or two on the bike to really unwind!

Any suggestions?

I have an Aunt in Mesquite, and I used to live in Houston.:beerchug:

If you are taking the Busa, than there is very little argument - HEAD WEST, YOUNG MAN.
I can personally guarantee the best riding and you will never tire of the weather. There are great people here that will take care of you and can show you the best roads in the West.

If you don't take the Busa, HEAD WEST, YOUNG MAN.
I can personally guarantee the best weather. There are great people here that will take care of you and can show you the best of the West.
Bubba
Ride safe either way you go.:thumbsup:

I live in the Dallas area, working in Rockdale for next 6wks, then heading to Mt Pleasant. Not union, but not opposed to em at all, they just aren't very common here TX.

My company's client is paying for the course and all the travel cost associated with it, so I figure why not.

Most of our pa is done manually since its not code work, just customer info, but it gives the client a warm fuzzy, and pays the bills real nice so...

Have about 15,000 tube welds to check on this job, 1.25" to 2" heavy wall stuff, then another 10,000 on the next one.

I will definately be taking the Busa:thumbsup:

Was thinking if I head west, would go thru new mexico, head for LA, then go north up to San Fransico, then work my way back through Utah and Colorado.

If I go east, out through Arkansas and work my way to North Carolina, then down to Florida and follow the coast back to Dallas.

Though I am currently leaning towards the west, have been to FL, NY, NJ, PA, VA, LA, GA, AL, but never made further west the Vegas.

Last edited:
Eeewwww. Lol small welds. I'm more pipeline based. 30" is small to us. Shot some 1" the other day though.

Shows how little I know about the ut world. I got lvl 2 straight beam only but I've done little angle hand scanning before. Didn't even know that the pa was being used manually.

Wouldn't the tube work be asme?

I'm not opposed to being non union either. This big work slows up ill jump ship lol. Get all those free classes you can I'm still in line for the lvl 2 from our union. Like a pedigree dog more paper never hurts.
Posted via Mobile Device

ASME sect 1, visual and hydo. Plus these are dirt burners, all of em old, doing change outs of the superheat, reheat, economizer and some water wall sections.

We are pushing to expand into more code work on the vessels, but then we have to go automated, and they're still considering whether they want to lay out the cash for the rover we want.

I will definately be taking the Busa:thumbsup:

Was thinking if I head west, would go thru new mexico, head for LA, then go north up to San Fransico, then work my way back through Utah and Colorado.

If I go east, out through Arkansas and work my way to North Carolina, then down to Florida and follow the coast back to Dallas.

Though I am currently leaning towards the west, have been to FL, NY, NJ, PA, VA, LA, GA, AL, but never made further west the Vegas.

If you decide the West, you must do Cali SD and hook up with Scar and his crew, they do rides on all weekends and can show you roads you will love. This is a great crew to ride with, composed of many diverse riders.

Cool. Small world. Don't meet to many ndt people on the internetz. Good luck on the vacation.
Posted via Mobile Device

Alabama has some very nice beaches. :thumbsup: And if you come this way maybe you can bring a piece of home to me. I was born in Dallas and grew up in Euless.:cheerleader:

Alabama has some very nice beaches. :thumbsup: And if you come this way maybe you can bring a piece of home to me. I was born in Dallas and grew up in Euless.:cheerleader:

Dallas Girl?
I never knew.:thumbsup:
The wife is from FW and grew up in Austin.
Sorry for the thread jack.
On with the show.
Bubba

And Yes, Nice beaches, believe it or don't.

Back