Florida Price jack-FLa peeps whats goin on down there?

Lycan

Emerging from slumber...
Donating Member
Registered
Ok so Im shopping around for my track bike, and I find this place in Port Richey(?)

Dude tells me, that either...

1. I HAVE to pay the MD tax there

or

2. I HAVE to show up with a bill of lading demostrating the bike is to be trasporterd by a shipping company to MD...for what????

Soooo, I can't just GO to the sunshine state anyomore, buy a bike and throw in on my trailer and take it home?

Somebodys gotta clear this up for me..???

This a private seller or a dealership? Sounds odd...

Have one of our FL members go "buy" it, then pick it up :whistle:

basically when you buy it from a dealer, they have to title the bike some place... this is the +TTL that is always mentioned in sales price...

either in florida where they sell it, or MD where your taking it...

so if you pay the dealer the tax, they should title it for you in MD.... other wise they need proof basically that your getting the bike the hell out of town....

you would have to pay the tax there, if they are titling the bike for you in MD...

they could get into some deep doo doo in the title transfer if the taxes arent payed as they are supposed to be...

state to state laws vary... but thats the jist of it...

private sale would be the only way to get around this more often than not..

200+ miles from me but it sounds like a nice excuse to take a ride...:laugh:

Dont know about the bill of lading.
A bill of lading usually deals with ocean transport in my exp.

I bought my Busa in NC, didn't pay the extra fees at that dealership because it was going to VA. I had insurance on it, temp tags, rode it back THEN paid taxes and titled it in VA...no issues...

I've never heard of this before...msut be a state-to-state thing or FL is just screwy ???

Dont know about the bill of lading.
A bill of lading usually deals with ocean transport in my exp.

might be using it in the more general since of the term, which would just be a shipping contract from whom ever is shipping the bike....

however, if he was trailering the bike himself, not sure what the hell that would be...

yeah usually you pay the taxes when you go register it... BUUUUTTTT would you be registering a track bike?

We bought my Busa in Louisiana and pay the taxes when we got back to Mississippi to register it.

Things that make you go HMMMM.

You can make a mock bill of lading online with the LTL guys. http://www.rlcarriers.com/kp_bol.asp
I don't think you would need much more since no carrier is going to ask you to prepay for shipment. If that's all they want, just print it out and send it to them.

I bought my Busa in NC, didn't pay the extra fees at that dealership because it was going to VA. I had insurance on it, temp tags, rode it back THEN paid taxes and titled it in VA...no issues...

I've never heard of this before...msut be a state-to-state thing or FL is just screwy ???

Same here, I like traveling to pick up vehicles...purchased a liter bike in Oh and didn't pay sales tax until licensing it here~!~

If I remember correctly they gave me the option and allowed me to make the decision~!~ Should be the same either way, but a private seller usually would not have this option to accept sales tax that I know of.

I see now your prob.
Seller is concerned about tax fraud is all.

He wants to cover his behind and license by making sure you pay correct amount of tax needed to register bike.
If you do not pay the tax for whatever state you are from even if you are from Florida he cannot allow you to 'ride' it off the lot.

If it is a track bike and you do not ever plan on registering it anywhere for street use then either way he cannot allow you to ride it off the lot.

Is he a dealer ?
Is he registering bike for you in Maryland ?
Are you just wanting to pay cash and take your title and bike ?
The bill of lading I dont know about but most dealers will 'go back inside' if you put it on a trailer and leave.
If he is just your average small dealer or one person 'draw up' a bill of lading and give it to him. Most likely it will go in 'sale file' and get stacked never to be seen again.
Yeah ABC transport is picking it up for me. Blanca Busa shows up undercover working for ABC to pick bike up and we leave. C ya'
PM me if you need help.

There seems to be a simple misunderstanding.
Ask the guy if you show up with a trailer will he allow you to leave ?
If he does not collect tax than he cannot allow you to ride.
What you do after that doesnt matter.
As a dealer with a license he cannot allow anyone to ride or drive without collecting tax.
If he saw you leave with it on trailer he is covered and you should be good even if you go across the street and unload it.

Blanca, I wish it were that simple. The state of Florida (and others I assume) demand proof that a sale is either tax exempt or sold out of state if taxes are not witheld. For sales that are out of state, there must be ample documentation to prove that the bike was actually shipped outside Florida. It's very likely that they may even insist on having the truck line pick up the bike at their showroom.

Trust me, we were just audited last year for sales tax. :poke:

Vonderbach agreed but like I said if he is a small dealer a simple doc will be all he needs.
Most likely he does not even know what a bill of lading is.
After receiving the call he went and asked the 20yr old title clerk in accting if he can sell a bike to guy in Maryland and she said make sure to get a bill of lading if you dont collect tax.
Now he is just being a parrot most likely.
If it is a cash deal and he does not collect tax he cannot allow him to ride off the lot. Finance and def he will have to be assured tax is collected for whatever state reg is applied for.
Cash in hand computer printed bill of lading.
10 mins , hes gone with bike and TITLE.
Who cares ?

Believe me I cannot tell you how many Canadians came down to write a check for new Town Cars and Navigators and did not want to pay tax.
As long as they loaded it onto a trailer and gave us a shipping doc saying where it was going we were fine.
And all of those docs 4 days after were stuffed in deal folders and filed never to be seen again.

Times are diff now. Yrs ago some I knew would cut and paste names onto their own utility bills, paychecks, mortgages, CC receipts to make a slug back into a human so he can roll !
Once the 'paper got hung' (deal got bought by bank and we got funded) WHO CARES ! :laugh:

I may be wrong but it is a used bike ?
We still havent heard from him as to size and type of person he is dealing with ?

???

Yeah.....I'm going by the letter of the law, and you're right, he may not have the same demands as I would after being audited. :laugh:

so are we openly talking about committing fraud over the internet?

just pay your taxes and follow the rules.....

my state will require a "race-only" vehicle to be registered as a race only vehicle. you can get something impounded even if its in a trailer or truck. never seen it happen, but i have seen DMV and LEO show up at the track and check for vin#

When I bought my Expedition in NC, they collected the money and sent it to Ohio. It's not just titling, it is the State making sure it gets it's tax dollars.

Maybe the trailer is the difference...as long as it's paid to DMV when you return to your own state I don't know that it would make any difference~!~

I'd be willing to bet it has something to do with issuing temp tags also~!~

Last edited:
afterhours not talking about fraud only talking about getting a bike off the lot of one who may be asking for something not needed.

It is imp no matter what I say to get around the tax.
If he registers the bike he will have to pay it, simple.
There is a diff between working the system and cheating it.
I am master at the first and not guilty of the 2nd ever.
I have kids whose faces I look into every day.
Dont want them to see a cheater, ever.

Last edited:
Back