Red Dot Scope Question

Skywalker

Donating Member
Registered
Guys and Gals, I'm a shooter but never new much about the technical aspect of the sport. I have a lithuania red dot and I want to know if any of you know why this scope is threaded on the front end as you can see in the photo? Makes me feel I'm missing some parts?

lithuania red dot.jpg

Prob glare. Some are made to accept a flash kill. (Honeycomb lens cover) never seen or heard of them so I can't speak from exp.

My aimpoint wasn't threaded" but it had a stepped kinda look on the objective side.
Posted via Mobile Device

Looking at the scope since threads do not extend all the way out I wanna say they are not threads but simply grooves to cut down tube glare. Rather than having a smooth surface it is grooved to not allow light waves to bounce evenly into lense. Instead they are stopped by grooves.
That and it also may have something to do with construction method.
Either way if you look at below pics of solar cap on an old Tasco Pro-Point that I have you can see threads extend out all the way.
Also look at first pic of aimpoint Comp M4 carefully. You can see how threads rise out and would engage a smaller diameter tube attach. Second pic of eyepiece on M4 you can see threads extend all the way out.
This is only way a cap or attachment would ever attach to anything I ever saw.
Since outer edge is rounded unless threads/grooves stick down lower than smooth part I dont see how anything could screw to it ? You would score the smooth part trying to screw anything past it, no ?
I cant see from pic if the threads/grooves rise out farther than the smooth part ?

Either way that is a super durable and very nice optic you have there.
That thing is simple and battle ready as intended by its makers.

LENS CAP 001.jpg

LENS CAP 002.jpg

comp M4 001.jpg

comp M4 002.jpg

Last edited:
Understood my man and many thanks as always to the Org! I like the flip ups you have on the Tasco and maybe I'll just add some covers and let her ride from there. Also, I really didn't know if it's a good product or not. I also obtain a dragonov scope with this setup but on my shorty the draganov was not my choice for this gun. I need a true dragonov rifle and to learn to read that thing with the left sided angle gage that is in there. It's also a cool looking unit! :beerchug:

Looking at the scope since threads do not extend all the way out I wanna say they are not threads but simply grooves to cut down tube glare. Rather than having a smooth surface it is grooved to not allow light waves to bounce evenly into lense. Instead they are stopped by grooves.
That and it also may have something to do with construction method.
Either way if you look at below pics of solar cap on an old Tasco Pro-Point that I have you can see threads extend out all the way.
Also look at first pic of aimpoint Comp M4 carefully. You can see how threads rise out and would engage a smaller diameter tube attach. Second pic of eyepiece on M4 you can see threads extend all the way out.
This is only way a cap or attachment would ever attach to anything I ever saw.
Since outer edge is rounded unless threads/grooves stick down lower than smooth part I dont see how anything could screw to it ? You would score the smooth part trying to screw anything past it, no ?
I cant see from pic if the threads/grooves rise out farther than the smooth part ?

Either way that is a super durable and very nice optic you have there.
That thing is simple and battle ready as intended by its makers.

The flip open caps are on the aimpoint and are made by butler creek .
You can measure dia of both and order them online or just go to walmart or gunstore .
Most carry them .

The Tasco in first pics I cannot put flip opens on cuz the mount does not leave enough space.

What you have is durable copy of a Russian cold war sight .
Very simple , tested design .
Sure it's not a 400 aimpoint sight but it you jump in a canal and come out other side I promise it will work .
The Russians have some of the most stringent testing you can imagine.
Give it to a soldier and let him drag it thru the mud for awhile.
It will work .
I have one somwhere around here .
Nice piece .
The Russians have never been known for making the prettiest or most expensive things but they certainly make simple durable items that LAST !

Last edited:
My POC said it was a great piece and I just kinda of nodded because I didn't know and didn't want to look stupid. :laugh:

The flip open caps are on the aimpoint and are made by butler creek .
You can measure dia of both and order them online or just go to walmart or gunstore .
Most carry them .

The Tasco in first pics I cannot put flip opens on cuz the mount does not leave enough space.

What you have is durable copy of a Russian cold war sight .
Very simple , tested design .
Sure it's not a 400 aimpoint sight but it you jump in a canal and come out other side I promise it will work .
The Russians have some of the most stringent testing you can imagine.
Give it to a soldier and let him drag it thru the mud for awhile.
It will work .
I have one somwhere around here .
Nice piece .
The Russians have never been known for making the prettiest or most expensive things but they certainly make simple durable items that LAST !

Back