Let me dispell some myths about Oz

aussiebusaboy

Registered
Ok so yes we have deadly creatures and yes they can kill you.
We might have more than most but its not all that bad :whistle:

A quick run down of our worst inhabitants.

Some of my favoiurites.
Box Jellyfish - One of the more deadly animals on the face of the Earth, also called "Sea Wasp".
The toxin present on the tentacles (which may reach several feet in length) is so strong, that the few survivors from an encounter with a box jellyfish describe it more as an electrical shock than a burn. After contact, the person will probably leave the water screaming and will faint on the sand with marks on the body that look like streaks. Depending on the area affected, Cardio-Respiratory functions may stop in just 3 minutes, and mouth to mouth resuscitation and first aid procedures are essential to keep the victim alive.

Irukandji- Another jellyfish but instead of having several tentacles, it is only 1 centimetre or half an inch in length. It can barely be spotted by the naked eye. In the week we wrote this page, 2 deaths were registered by this jellyfish which is the smallest animal on earth capable of killing humans. They inhabit the same region, but instead of killing in a matter of minutes the symptoms are progressive and may take more than 24 hours to show up.

Salt Water Crocodile - As if it's not enough having jellyfish and sharks in the waters off Cairns, Port Douglas, North/East and Northern Territory, God decided to place another beautiful creature there to make paradise not so inviting. These places are full of salt water crocs, happily inhabiting the region. They are 7 meter long monsters; extremely strong, and very ugly! Human meat is not their favorite, but they attack anything that moves around them including sharks. They can be found in any river or beach and can go 200 Km (150 miles) inland or out into the ocean.

Blue Ring Octopus - This gorgeous animal with many blue rings on the body inhabits the Great Barrier Reef. They are not aggressive and don't grow too much, but if you grab them they will release poison kept in their sting. This poison is very powerful similar to snake bite, and can easily kill a human if medical attention is not given within a couple hours.

Barrier Reef Cone Shell- Barrier Reef Cone Shell - The same as the blue ring octopus, it has spots or zigzagging lines on the shell. Immediate medical attention is also required.

Scorpion Fish & Stone Fish - Scorpion Fish - Another amazing animal from the same family as the Lion Fish. Long spines on the dorsal can contain enough poison to kill. They inhabit every area of Australia and prefer coral reefs. They are curious, friendly and approachable creatures but if you touch their spines or stand on them you will experience the worst pains. The best first aid to offer is: to place the area affected in the hottest water you can handle and them get to the hospital ASAP. Note: It's not necessary to turn the ambulance siren on. Your screaming will do the job very well.

Funnel Web, Red Back, White Tail - They are all spiders, in reality little spiders with very powerful venom. Australia is full of different spider species which are found everywhere in Australian backyards, bush, beaches etc...All three spiders mentioned above can be lethal and requires immediate medical attention for the victim, just like a snake bite. The Funnel Web is found more in New South Wales, and its nest is easy to spot because of its funnel shaped web. The Red Back as the name says, has a red stripe along its black back. It is found all over Australia in every single backyard.
The white tail can carry a flesh eating bactria capable of decaying large areas of flesh even after treatment.

Kangaroo- are not really dangerous in the wild, but think about running one over while you driving?! They are about half the size of a cow and can cause serious damage to your car and its occupants. Kangaroos in Australia are free roaming and in huge numbers. (currently have more kangaroos than people in Oz) and they can jump up to 10 meters in length.

Snakes - Of the 10 most dangerous snakes in the world, 8 are Australian. The most poisonous snake in the world, is the TAIPAN, whose venom is strong enough to kill 100 adults with only one bite. In second place comes the Brown Snake, capable of sending many to heaven with one bite also. In third, the Tiger Snake, which is as dangerous as the Brown. To the ones who wish to visit the Coast line and walk on the hills over the grass, be aware that it may be dangerous especially during summer time.

Deadly Animals Come to Australia video
As we are taught in school.........
Stay away from them and they will stay away from you (sort of)

good info, thanks for sharing. Passed thru Townsville on the way to Hobart, Tazmania in 2006.....instantly fell in the love with the place. Hope to go back someday with wife and kids :)

New Zeland/tasmania/australia have all been on my to visit list...

If only the flight wasnt a billion hours long....

Holy cow.

I found this thread depressing. (even though it's all factual).

Although I've never come across 90% of that list. And I've certainly never seen a salt water croc when swimming at Coogee. Why would you tell people that salties can show up at any beach?!

Good post though.

...aside from all that deadly and annoying stuff, Australia looks beautiful :bowdown:

sounds awesome.I dont care much for the water, I like snakes,there is no snow,the weather is great.

Im ready to move:bowdown::cheerleader::cheerleader:

when you said (oz) you left out flying monkeys, the wicked witch's and falling houses:laugh:

I thought it was quite evident the "any beaches" was in reference to "Cairns, Port Douglas, North/East and Northern Territory".
Salties are all northern beaches, have seen them down as far as cairns myself.
Southern beaches are fine with the exception of sharks although they are starting to find box jellyfish as far down as fraser island due to waters warming up.

I lived in Victorian bushland for years and on a good day out rabit hunting could spot between 10-20 snakes, mainly tigers and red bellied black snakes.
Brown snakes are more common in top half of OZ.
My uncle stepped on a stone fish in papua new guinnea and said he would rather have had his legs cut off than go through that pain again. (almost died)
Had the unfortunate witness of a girl stung by a box jellyfish up on the whitsundays, not pleasant although she survived.

City folk in Oz will spend most of their lives never seeing any of these creatures, those that like to explore and travel will most likely see most of them.
Its a doom n gloom picture painted by the facts but if you go bush you need to know this stuff. (we have a lot of bush)

Our road toll or drownings accounts for way more than these animals kill each year but thats because we know to stay away.

You guys moan about not being able to ride due to snow for 4-6 months of the year, we moan about not being able to swim on pristine beaches in sub tropical areas due to getting eaten or stung for 6 months of the year.

Comes with the territory.
We do get to ride all year round though so maybe we dont have it so bad.

let me throw some light on the subject.
Despite all the bad thing we have here its still worth living in.
Just need to make sure you get out and see it as i am sure half of Oz have never even seen their own country.

near cairns.jpg

NorthQLD2.jpg

NorthQLD3.jpg

NorthQLD4.jpg

wildflowers.jpg

NorthQLD1.jpg

Australia is a beautiful place to visit. I was in Surfer's Paradise/Gold Coast back in:thumbsup::beerchug::thumbsup: 1998 and fell in love with it. I can't wait till I can get back there. One of the things that I really loved about the place was how friendly the people were there. I can't remember how many times my groups bar tab was picked up by some stranger that just started chatting us up at the bar.

saw a special about the jellyfish and in particular the Irukandji... tiny little guy does bad things...

I thought it was quite evident the "any beaches" was in reference to "Cairns, Port Douglas, North/East and Northern Territory".
Salties are all northern beaches, have seen them down as far as cairns myself.
Southern beaches are fine with the exception of sharks although they are starting to find box jellyfish as far down as fraser island due to waters warming up.

I lived in Victorian bushland for years and on a good day out rabit hunting could spot between 10-20 snakes, mainly tigers and red bellied black snakes.
Brown snakes are more common in top half of OZ.
My uncle stepped on a stone fish in papua new guinnea and said he would rather have had his legs cut off than go through that pain again. (almost died)
Had the unfortunate witness of a girl stung by a box jellyfish up on the whitsundays, not pleasant although she survived.

City folk in Oz will spend most of their lives never seeing any of these creatures, those that like to explore and travel will most likely see most of them.
Its a doom n gloom picture painted by the facts but if you go bush you need to know this stuff. (we have a lot of bush)

Our road toll or drownings accounts for way more than these animals kill each year but thats because we know to stay away.

You guys moan about not being able to ride due to snow for 4-6 months of the year, we moan about not being able to swim on pristine beaches in sub tropical areas due to getting eaten or stung for 6 months of the year.

Comes with the territory.
We do get to ride all year round though so maybe we dont have it so bad.

hmmm... I think because I live and play all up and down the south east coast (sydney - Hobart) I was ignorant about salt water crocs actually showing up on beaches. Just doesn't happen down here.

Hey gotta take my hat off to the promotional job you've done here. :thumbsup:

Yes all this may be true...but you can't beat Australia for surfing...the women are also awesome:laugh: AND of course the beer:thumbsup:

Back