Philips Vs Sony (Hd Tvs)

Pride13031

Registered
In the next few days I'll be purchasing either a 46" Sony or 52" Philips HD TV. I've heard the Sony is better but I've read nothing but good reviews for the Philips. As far as specs they are very similar. Any input from the .org on which would be the better buy?

Last edited:
Depends exactly on which models?

I'd take a Sony over a Phillips on an equal playing field. That being said, Phillips has nicer displays then some of Sony's budget lines. I'd need to now the model numbers, then research their specs.

The Sony is KDL-46V5100, and the Philips is 52PFL5704D. They are the exact same price at Sam's Club.

Last edited:
May I suggest waiting a little longer and getting an LED TV? From what I understand, they are going to produce the best contrast and black levels. If you're going to invest $1000, why not wait for something a bit better? Unless you're just dying to get one...which I completely understand. :laugh: Personally, I bought a 42" Plasma at Wal-Mart for $499 as my second TV. If it fails in 2 years, I won't be too upset.

Last edited:
Get a Samsung, LED. they have the highest contrast numbers and picture looks great.

We walked down rows and rows of TV's and ya know they all were pretty close to each other... Physically and metaphorically.... :) anyway, it was pretty hard to tell any of them apart (advantage of being a FOG)

Samsung plasma here...

The LEDs are remarkably better that LCDs but about $1000.00 more. We just bought a Sony and love it. One of the things to look at is 1080dpi over 720 dpi. Pay a little more and go with 1080dpi for the better picture.

May I suggest waiting a little longer and getting an LED TV? From what I understand, they are going to produce the best contrast and black levels. If you're going to invest $1000, why not wait for something a bit better?
nope dont wait the led ones are out now, i have been instaling them for 3 months already...most are a million to 1 contrast ratio or higher.....they are as thick as a cell phone and hang like a picture on the wall.....hands down best picture i have ever seen...they are actually an lcd tv but with led used as the back lighting.....the sony bravia is a nice line, the philips will have a better picture in the house...the store displays dont always do them justice because of the different types of lighting they have that you do not have in your home....plasma is best picture but if its in a well lite room you wont see anything as the glass reflects all the sunlight....

nope dont wait the led ones are out now, i have been instaling them for 3 months already...most are a million to 1 contrast ratio or higher.....they are as thick as a cell phone and hang like a picture on the wall.....hands down best picture i have ever seen...they are actually an lcd tv but with led used as the back lighting.....the sony bravia is a nice line, the philips will have a better picture in the house...the store displays dont always do them justice because of the different types of lighting they have that you do not have in your home....plasma is best picture but if its in a well lite room you wont see anything as the glass reflects all the sunlight....

I meant wait for the prices to come down a bit...since he was operating with a $1000 budget from what I could see. Sorry, I wasn't clear. :beerchug:

As for Plasma being better than LED, this is news to me. I thought LED was the best at producing black, no?

FIRST WHATEVER YOU DO DONT BUY A TV FROM A BRICK AND MORTAR PLACE.
By that I mean buy it online.
Doesn't matter who you buy from when it needs service it will be Eds TV repair that pulls up in your driveway to fix it. Nobody has their own fleet of service vehicles for TVs.
So you will be paying their rent instead of a decent price.

Second you did not say what kind, DLP, LCD, PLASMA ?

My suggestion is to buy a SAMSUNG LCD tv with 1080p display .
Go to BuyDig.com you will see tvs you are looking at for several hundred dollars less than what you see in stores.
I got a 46' Samsung LCD series 6 for 1100 from buydig where all others were at least 1600.
As long as you order from AN AUTHORIZED E-TAILER THE WARRANTY IS GOOD.
Some sites may be cheaper but make sure they are authorized by maker of TV you are looking to sell them online.

No reason at all, none , zero that you should buy from a store and not online.
I have 5 screens in my house all bought online.

Blanca,

The difference between freight costs from an online retailer and the brick and mortar cost per sq ft can't be much, can they? To be honest, buying from a store guarantees some local accountability, whereas an online purchase might be a shell company for some fly by night outfit. People like Dell, Buy.com, etc are surely not fly by night, but then again, I doubt seriously they are going to be the cheapest either.

I thought I had seen the LED was the "back lighting" to the LCD screen...

what is the difference between the LCD and Plasma screen though?

I like the plasma but they pump a lot of heat into a room and thought that was from the "tube" back lighting on them and the LCD..(ok during winter).. guessing the LED wont do that?

Last edited:
I for one can attest to the heat emissions from plasma. We don't need no stinkin' fireplace, just huddle around the plasma!

Plasma is electrifying of molecules between two plates glass to make them line up in a certain order. Generates heat
LCD screens can use either the new LED backlight or the more traditional fluorescent light bulb backlight as are mine.
My Samsung runs cool. LCDs can be serviced as in replace the bulbs but a plasma is a one time deal. Lose pixels or it goes bad and garbage it becomes. Plasma was really the first we all heard about but I think other tewchs have past it. My Samsung LCD with a Blu-ray player and a disc like Pirates of the Carib I swear you can literally walk thru the screen it looks so real.
The final one 'At Worlds End' the cannon fighting is incredible.

Vonderbach yes there are good guys and bad guys out there but with minimum research you can verify length of biz and rep.

Buydig.com saved me at least 500 bucks on every TV I have bought from them. Been there a longtime and are great. Exc reps on pricegrabber,shopping.com as well as Amazon . Cant go wrong with them that I can attest to.
All arrived new in the wrap as ordered. Most of the time when you buy here locally it gets delivered to you after it comes from a warehouse. Same warehouse that Buydig will shipping yours from.
And your comment regarding buying locally cuz it gives you assurance is a......
.....I hope you dont have any Circuit City stuff....:poke::rofl:
Gone they are as anyone can be.
Save 500 bucks on any TV over 45 inches and thats a PS3 or Bluray player as well as quality HDMI cables to deliver you what the TV can. You can save on the tube but you cant go cheap on cables.

Cant beat this deal from buydig.

Samsung LN46B650 - 46" High-definition 1080p 120Hz LCD TV |BuyDig.com

or this one, a little more with more features..
Which is one I have

Samsung LN46A650 - 46" High-definition 1080p LCD TV |BuyDig.com

ALL ITEMS ARE BRAND NEW, FACTORY FRESH AND INCLUDE FULL MANUFACTURERS USA WARRANTY UNLESS OTHERWISE STATED.

Samsung.gif

Back