San Andreas Fault

SANDFLEA85

Registered
think I spelled that right

anybody else watch that documentary they aired last night about it?? you guys that live in Cali, esp the coastal cities.......man, I dont know, Im far from a doomsdayer and definately arent one of those "what if" people(I hate them ppl) but very protective of my family,esp my kids. that thing is no joke.and have to say, as beautiful as it is out there (and I've been to So Cal many times) if I lived there I may think about moving. that earthquake in Hatti is nothing compared to what they are talking about with this thing, they were talking "Sonic Boom" kind of power and garunteeing it will occur anytime within the next 30yrs. LA basically being leveled. scary stuff, 11million ppl live in LA.

So my question is this. if its ineveitable like they (300 experts from all over the world) claim it is. why doesnt the Goverment step in and declair the proposed "ground zero" area (most of the coastline from san fransisco south) unsafe to live. (I know that will never happen) but if it does happen,can you imagine the consiquences. the devastation will be unimaginable.

there are lots of danger zones. what make earthquakes any different than hurricane,tornados and other natural disasters?

i live in so-cal....the smart ones have a disaster plan, most don't. you just live with it.

I did watch the show. That area is visable...there are areas of the fault line or other fault lines that are more active under water on less reported. Yellow Stone has had the interpretation of being one massive vent...that if it did build pressure and blow that it would mimic krakatoa and caues loss of sun light for some time. I got this info from nat geo and othe science mags...tv shows are ok, but the present the info in an entertaining way.

It seems that the plates rubbing is totally different than Cali breaking off and falling into the ocean.

Live life to the fullest everyday as if they will be no tomorrow---these words ring so thru in light of what natural disasters/catastrophes may do to the planet.

or buy real estate in Arizona now as it may be beach front property someday.

think I spelled that right

anybody else watch that documentary they aired last night about it?? you guys that live in Cali, esp the coastal cities.......man, I dont know, Im far from a doomsdayer and definately arent one of those "what if" people(I hate them ppl) but very protective of my family,esp my kids. that thing is no joke.and have to say, as beautiful as it is out there (and I've been to So Cal many times) if I lived there I may think about moving. that earthquake in Hatti is nothing compared to what they are talking about with this thing, they were talking "Sonic Boom" kind of power and garunteeing it will occur anytime within the next 30yrs. LA basically being leveled. scary stuff, 11million ppl live in LA.

So my question is this. if its ineveitable like they (300 experts from all over the world) claim it is. why doesnt the Goverment step in and declair the proposed "ground zero" area (most of the coastline from san fransisco south) unsafe to live. (I know that will never happen) but if it does happen,can you imagine the consiquences. the devastation will be unimaginable.

So the ground shakes every once and a while...it actually shakes EVERYDAY...we just don't feel the small ones. I live about 20-25 miles from the epicenter of the 1989 Loma Prieta quake 1989 Loma Prieta earthquake - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia the only thing that happened at my house was the skis that were leaning up against the wall...fell over and some water sloshed out of the pool :whistle:

That quake was a 6.9...I was at the World Series...took 4 hours to get home, what normally is a 45 minute drive.

It all depends where you are at...the guy I worked for at the time...his house was a 'total' he was less than 5 miles from the epicenter and his property was not on a 'solid' piece of land. His neighbors on BOTH sides of his property had minor damage.

there are lots of danger zones. what make earthquakes any different than hurricane,tornados and other natural disasters?

i live in so-cal....the smart ones have a disaster plan, most don't. you just live with it.
hurricanes you can see coming and decide what you want to do with a few days or even a weeks notice

tornados,im not real sure about but think for the most part you can get yourself out of the way

earthquakes....no warning, just happens. disaster plan doesnt really help if you have a building on you:poke:

I dont want to debate this because it is what it is,I just found it fascinating and wondered if most ppl living out there just kind of shut it out of their mind, if they even realize at all what is potentially a disaster waiting to happen where they live/work/play everyday

I hope it never happens but it seems odds are against that:banghead:

It seems that the plates rubbing is totally different than Cali breaking off and falling into the ocean.

was intersting when they said at the rate the plates are moving LA will be a suburb of San Francisco in 20,000 yrs

guess that means Cabo will be the new southern California:whistle:

hurricanes you can see coming and decide what you want to do with a few days or even a weeks notice

tornados,im not real sure about but think for the most part you can get yourself out of the way

earthquakes....no warning, just happens. disaster plan doesnt really help if you have a building on you:poke:

I dont want to debate this because it is what it is,I just found it fascinating and wondered if most ppl living out there just kind of shut it out of their mind, if they even realize at all what is potentially a disaster waiting to happen where they live/work/play everyday

There are no garranties what will happen in a big one...but you would be surprised at the building code out here for commercial buildings and residential homes.

the thing is: there are faults EVERYWHERE. Read up on the New Madrid fault sometime.

back in the 1800s, this one let go so hard that it was felt in Denver, and it made church bells ring in boston. It also made the mississippi river flow backwards for a few days.

not trying to argue....

but you just put it in the back of your mind, and enjoy the weather....

Yep faults ev erywhere. Major in oklahoma in utah are the couple others that come to mind.

If gov made it ground zero. First would have to pay out to move then move where? Like saying no people should live in New Orleans because another storm will hit. Or noone in hawaii cause of its a volcanos.
Posted via Mobile Device

the thing is: there are faults EVERYWHERE. Read up on the New Madrid fault sometime.

back in the 1800s, this one let go so hard that it was felt in Denver, and it made church bells ring in boston. It also made the mississippi river flow backwards for a few days.
I moved from Pasadena CA about ten years ago, had no clue I was moving smack into another fault system. I'm by the little black X....

547px-New_Madrid_and_Wabash_seizmic_zones-USGS.png

Last edited:

:laugh:
That one was so bad, the earth tipped on its side for little while, and everyone who were not strong enough to hang on, fell into California.

That would be job security for guys like me:laugh: I lived in so cal for a long time and got to clean the mess from the san fernando earthquake and all the fires out there not to mention the devistation malibu gets when it rains heavy!

:laugh:
That one was so bad, the earth tipped on its side for little while, and everyone who were not strong enough to hang on, fell into California.

:rofl::rofl:

sorry all kidding aside those things are bad, we have one of the worse fault lines here in missouri, but i cant reacall ever feeling a tremor...

Last edited:
I've lived in California most of my life. They have been talking about the coast falling into the ocean since I was a little girl. I have felt maybe 3 earthquakes the whole time living here. The thing about earthquakes is that they happen so quickly and are over with in a matter of seconds. You don't have time to panic or be scared. The buildings here are built to withstand earthquakes. On the other hand, I lived in Louisiana for 2 years back when I was a teenager and was caught up in a hurricane and have seen twisters. I will take California any day!!

Back