Fast kitchen reno...

slash

Registered
We have been toying with the idea of relocating. I have a good job offer in Fl. So we are slowly updating out home. We bought it new in 01 and it is allready outdated! Went to home depot, bought new cabinet hardware, new light fixtures to replace the frosted globes! a fresh coat of paint and some new appliances and it looks fantastic! Countertops are next!

Overall I am happy with it!

We are gonna make it nice enough we arent gonna want to leave!

New light fixtures/Paint
kit.jpg

Cabinet hardware (makes a world of difference)
har.jpg

Appliances/Custom stainless backsplash(better than the dollar store white junk the builder throws in!)
sto.jpg

Last edited:
i understand people need to update to sell, but im always perplexed that they never motivate to make things nicer for themselves....its always when your moving out you fix things.....nice job btw looks good

Looks great :thumbsup:

One of the things I did when I sold my first house was to trim out the windows. Noticed your kitchen window did not have a trim around it, its cheap, easy and changes the look of the place. You typically dont see a lot of trim work in houses these days simply because trim carpenters are so $$$. Just a thought, otherwise good luck with the sale if you do sell it....doing all of that work will pay off in the end :beerchug:

I do house renovations for "for sale" homes. Don't spend too much, more than likely, the new owners will want to personalize it to their taste. Just replace the "fluff" stuff and appearance items that appear to be worn.

i understand people need to update to sell, but im always perplexed that they never motivate to make things nicer for themselves....its always when your moving out you fix things.....nice job btw looks good

When I did my house prior to selling....it was always a "want" but never made it to the top of the list, there was always something different to spend the $ on or the time doing...including riding :whistle: I dumped about 2k into my house with the interior paint, trim, tile work and the exterior landscaping, plants, grass, etc. I also sold my house in 71hrs after it was listed for the asking price (actually more, they rolled in closing costs) :thumbsup: My situation lined up perfect with a visiting couple that needed to buy that weekend. My house was the most updated, best looking lawn of the ones they looked at, so they jumped. The day we closed I drove to the spring bash :laugh:

To more specifically answer your question....I think the drive to do it when you are looking to sell is that you are staring at the ROI short term, which makes it easier and more important to get it done. The difference of selling or not, getting what you want $ wise or even close all plays into it.

I do house renovations for "for sale" homes. Don't spend too much, more than likely, the new owners will want to personalize it to their taste. Just replace the "fluff" stuff and appearance items that appear to be worn.

yes, exactly what Aussiekeeper says.... keep it cheap and replace/add things that stand out (flooring, paint, trim, fixtures, etc) . Use neutral color schemes, if you are doing landscaping, pick plants that are cheap but pretty....Home Depot usually has some $1-5 flower pots that look amazing for a few months :whistle: And chances are they will repaint or replant or replace at least something after they buy to "make it theirs"

is that the guy with the "new door" calling? :rofl:

the cost of new cabinet handles and pulls will floor you huh? nice job!! funny the small things make such a big difference... We are in year 2 of our updates (20 year old home).. I know I will get done and Karen will say, "I found a new house I REALLY LIKE" :laugh:

we know that the markes sucks now and we reallylike the home. we probably wont sell it untill the market comes back in a few years. I think that is what motivated me to do these things. If we are stuck for a while may as well update it and make us happy!

OH THIS MADE ME REALLY HAPPY!

...installed a 1080 HD projector with a 110 screen in the family room!, bad pic but you ger the idea. This room flows to the kitchen, so you can easily see it. next is a small dormer for the screen. The pic is amazing, even with the ambient light.

pro.jpg

Last edited:
is that the guy with the "new door" calling? :rofl:

the cost of new cabinet handles and pulls will floor you huh? nice job!! funny the small things make such a big difference... We are in year 2 of our updates (20 year old home).. I know I will get done and Karen will say, "I found a new house I REALLY LIKE" :laugh:

yea, the pulls and the fistures were under 500 dollars, backsplash and appliances were, well a little more!:rulez:

your fireplace is giving me a guilt complex... :laugh: I am refacing ours from that same firebrick (going to marble) The only way I am allowed to hang a projector is if it has an automatic setup to suck it up out of sight when not in use.. (like that is going to happen)... need a media room :)

your fireplace is giving me a guilt complex... :laugh: I am refacing ours from that same firebrick (going to marble) The only way I am allowed to hang a projector is if it has an automatic setup to suck it up out of sight when not in use.. (like that is going to happen)... need a media room :)

just build a dormer for it and finish it with a nice molding. BELIEVE ME! it is worth it. The room it is in (between the kitchen and family room) is 40x20 and 25 (wider in the family room) so it is just perfect! the outlet and the wiring was pricy (i ran 4 50 foot hdmi cables!)

my plasma is going to take up residence just above the fireplace now and was thinking HDMI outlets with the rg5 outlet... just how "pricey" were the outlets? and how many hdmi connections at the outlet?

better pic of your outlets?

my plasma is going to take up residence just above the fireplace now and was thinking HDMI outlets with the rg5 outlet... just how "pricey" were the outlets? and how many hdmi connections at the outlet?

Glad you asked, i had the screen mounted 8 inches from the wall. I plan on putting a 55 led over the fireplace and cleaning up the corner where the dlp is. the screen when down will clear it by 3-4 inches. i paid 1100 for the electric, and running the cables. That also included repainting the cieling after they were done. There is a brush plate for the cables. Very clean work.

I have to relocate the BluRay and HT stuff to a nearby closet and was thinking something like this was a good move..

HDMI Single outlet wall plate wall plate - wall plate for in wall cable installation

Thoughts? it will be about a 5' run is all .. and should I also include any other types of jacks? (RCA?) I just do not want to get caught short later..

other issue is the remotes are IR I am sure... so I need to make some kind of a reflector or receiver for them to work still.. I was thinking a peep hole of some kind.... how is this usually done?

Last edited:
My master plan is to install built in's on either side of the fireplace. this would house the equipment. I dont know if we are going to actually move or not till spring, so that will wait. i like those hdmi outlets though...

You can never go wrong updating your kitchen or bathrooms, those are what helps a house sell. And outside appearance, you need curb appeal. Good job bro. :beerchug:

explain further... you mean like "recessed"? I gotta do this all at the same time... Been waiting for DjSin to call me so I could talk to him about this but the guy never does..

here is the fireplace stripped of half the hearth and flattened out for the new marble..

space to right side is closet and the space to the right is laundry room.. I could do an inset into the laundry area I think.. the area below I thought would be to dirty and close to floor.. I could remove the bifold door to closet, sheet rock and then put a regular door on the remaing opening... ?

Last edited:
explain further... you mean like "recessed"? I gotta do this all at the same time... Been waiting for DjSin to call me so I could talk to him about this but the guy never does..

here is the fireplace stripped of half the hearth and flattened out for the new marble..

space to right side is closet and the space to the right is laundry room.. I could do an inset into the laundry area I think.. the area below I thought would be to dirty and close to floor.. I could remove the bifold door to closet, sheet rock and then put a regular door on the remaing opening... ?

take a wider pic

Back