"e-mail of the year"l

StromBusa

Registered
E-Mail of the Year!!

WOULDN'T IT BE GREAT TO TURN ON THE TV AND HEAR ANY U.S.

PRESIDENT, DEMOCRAT OR REPUBLICAN, GIVE THE FOLLOWING SPEECH?

"My Fellow

Americans: As you all know, the defeat of the Iraq regime has been

completed.

Since congress does not want to spend any more money on this war, our mission

in Iraq is complete.

This morning I gave the order for a complete removal of all American forces

from Iraq . This action will be complete within 30 days. It is now

time to begin the reckoning.

Before me, I have two lists. One list contains the names of countries

which have stood by our side during the Iraq conflict. This list is short

. The United Kingdom , Spain , Bulgaria , Australia , and Poland are some of the

countries listed there.

The other list contains every one not on the first list. Most of the

world's nations are on that list. My press secretary will be distributing

copies of both lists later this evening.

Let me start by saying that effective immediately, foreign aid to those nations

on List 2 ceases immediately and indefinitely. The money saved during the

first year alone will pretty much pay for the costs of the Iraqi war.

THEN EVERY YEAR THERE AFTER IT'll GO TO OUR SOCIAL SECURITY SYSTEM SO IT WONT GO BROKE IN 20 YEARS.

The American people are no longer going to pour money into third world Hell

holes, and watch those government leaders grow fat on corruption.

Need help with a famine? Wrestling with an epidemic? Call France .

In the future, together with Congress, I will work to redirect this money

toward solving the vexing social problems we still have at home. On that

note, a word to terrorist organizations. Screw with us and we will hunt

you down and eliminate you and all your friends from the face of the earth.

Thirsting for a gutsy country to terrorize? Try France or maybe China .

I am ordering the immediate severing of diplomatic relations with France ,

Germany, and Russia . Thanks for all your help, comrades. We are

retiring from NATO as well. Bonne chance, mezamies.

I have instructed the Mayor of New York City to begin towing the many UN

diplomatic vehicles located in Manhattan with more than two unpaid parking

tickets to sites where those vehicles will be stripped, shredded, and

crushed. I don't care about whatever treaty pertains to this. You

creeps have tens of thousands of unpaid tickets. Pay those tickets

tomorrow or watch your precious Benzes, Beamers, and limos be turned over to

some of the finest chop shops in the world. I love New York !

A special note to our neighbors. Canada is on List 2. Since we are

likely to be seeing a lot more of each other, you folks might want to try not

pissing us off for a change.

Mexico is also on List 2. Its president and his entire corrupt

government really need an attitude adjustment. I will have a couple extra

thousand tanks and infantry divisions sitting around. Guess where I am

going to put 'em? Yep, border security.

Oh, by the way, the United States is abrogating the NAFTA treaty - starting

now..

We are tired of the one-way highway. Immediately, we'll be drilling for

oil in Alaska- which will take care of this country's oil needs for decades to

come. If you're an environmentalist who opposes this decision, I refer

you to List 2 above: pick a country and move there.

It is time for America to focus on its own welfare and its own citizens.

Some will accuse us of isolationism. I answer them by saying, 'darn

tootin.'

Nearly a century of trying to help folks live a decent life around the world

has only earned us the undying enmity of just about everyone on the

planet. It is time to eliminate hunger in America . It is time to

eliminate homelessness in America . To the nations on List 1, a final

thought. Thank you guys. We owe you, and we won't forget.

To the nations on List 2, a final thought: You might want to learn to speak Arabic.

God bless America . Thank you and good night."

If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you are reading it in English,

thank a soldier.

For many , many reasons this will never happen. The US does need to tighten the purse strings...............and the email contains some very good areas to look at.

Everyone is frustrated with the Iraq debacle to be certain. This thread could grow to multiple pages before it mysteriously disappears from the forum if we choose to discuss the wisdom, or lack thereof, and integrity and intelligence, or lack thereof, of the political leadership which lead us into that campaign.

Isolationism has it's appeal...particularly during the very brief times in history when one nation is the dominant economic power, but isolationism also preceded two World Wars last century, which I suspect were far more costly than numerous smaller campaigns.

I find it intriguing that America has hunger "problems", yet also has the fattest people of any nation on the planet and the highest rate of obesity in the world.

I find it odd that people cry for less government intervention and free markets, yet they cry even louder when free market economics renders their skills much less valuable because people of equal ability (or at least with enough ability to satisfy the all-ignorant consumer) who live elsewhere are willing and able to provide those same skills for far less.

I suspect the author of this writing has never spent time outside the U.S., or if he/she has it was done with lack of humility of many Americans who believe they are the only ones in the world who work hard to earn a living...and that the lifestyle they enjoy is based soley on their personal achievements...completely ignoring the simple fact that the land that comprises America is rich with natural resources, and many Americans before them have fought to preserve and manage those resources for our benefit vs. completely stripping them out to make a quick buck.

I suspect the author has never turned a faucet on without seeing water pour out of it. Most of the poorest among us are far wealthier than 80% of the world's citizens.

The e-mail has a lot of simple "feel-good" appeal to it. With some of it I can agree a little. It would be nice if everything were so simple.

Personally I find it a little too "I've got mine, f you". Or if you prefer "It's my ball, and I'm going home."

Any student of history realizes it is highly unlikely any one nation will dominate the world economic, military, and political stages indefinitely. There is value in some humility, just as there is value in maintaining good diplomatic relationships with other nations with whom we don't always agree with.

Just some thoughts that come to mind when I read things like this.

Well I grant that the guy bites off a lot, however I tend to think that the world could be a much brighter place if we had better cooperation with our peers in the rest of the world. Conflicts could be shortened through leverage of a more united front.

Well I grant that the guy bites off a lot, however I tend to think that the world could be a much brighter place if we had better cooperation with our peers in the rest of the world. Conflicts could be shortened through leverage of a more united front.

I agree with you, but I like to keep a quote from Mark Twain in mind...

"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority it's time to pause and reflect."

It's written as one persons opinion. I took the email as his/her way of voicing the concerns that they have in the world today.
You can only take it so seriously, as it's laughable to think that all the things mentioned on there would ever come to fruition or become reality. (would be nice though IMO)

That being said w/ the exception of the part that reads "This morning I gave the order for a complete removal of all American forces from Iraq . This action will be complete within 30 days. It is now time to begin the reckoning."

I happen to agree strongly w/ nearly everything else. IMO it is time we start taking care & thinking about #1! US...AMERICA & those that live with-in it's borders. :usa:

It's written as one persons opinion. I took the email as his/her way of voicing the concerns that they have in the world today.
You can only take it so seriously, as it's laughable to think that all the things mentioned on there would ever come to fruition or become reality. (would be nice though IMO)

That being said w/ the exception of the part that reads "This morning I gave the order for a complete removal of all American forces from Iraq . This action will be complete within 30 days. It is now time to begin the reckoning."

I happen to agree strongly w/ nearly everything else. IMO it is time we start taking care & thinking about #1! US...AMERICA & those that live with-in it's borders. :usa:

Please don't take my inability to agree with you in this discussion personally.

It would be nice if every country in the world had the resources to allow every one of their citizens to enjoy what we consider basic necessities...things that 99% of Americans who live in "poverty" enjoy on a daily basis.

No matter how nice that would be, it is not, and never will be reality.

What we consider "tough times" are an aspirational fantasy to a very large portion of the world's population...and there's no easy solution for this problem.

Without the goodwill created by American generosity (which really isn't that generous compared to much of the developed world when one looks at it as a percentage of wealth), I suspect we'd be painting a much bigger bullseye on our backs. An even larger percentage of the world's population would resent our way of life.

There is no military or isolationist solution to the problem of security when all it took to execute the attacks of 9/11/2001 was fewer than fifty human beings who placed the value of faith above the value of rational thought.

Reduction of complexity can be elegant if applied correctly. Oversimplification of some problems can lead to bigger problems...regardless how good it feels in the short term.

Again, this is just my opinion...one person who has a different viewpoint from the original author. Perhaps I have the luxury of not being concerned about water flowing from my faucet, and the author doesn't have that...though I suspect if he/she had the ability to compose this and contribute it for mass consumption he/she shares that luxury.

Last edited:
Please don't take my inability to agree with you in this discussion personally.

It would be nice if every country in the world had the resources to allow every one of their citizens to enjoy what we consider basic necessities...things that 99% of Americans who live in "poverty" enjoy on a daily basis.

No matter how nice that would be, it is not, and never will be reality.

What we consider "tough times" are an aspirational fantasy to a very large portion of the world's population...and there's no easy solution for this problem.

Without the goodwill created by American generosity (which really isn't that generous compared to much of the developed world when one looks at it as a percentage of wealth), I suspect we'd be painting a much bigger bullseye on our backs. An even larger percentage of the world's population would resent our way of life.

There is no military or isolationist solution to the problem of security when all it took to execute the attacks of 9/11/2001 was fewer than fifty human beings who placed the value of faith above the value of rational thought.

Reduction of complexity can be elegant if applied correctly. Oversimplification of some problems can lead to bigger problems...regardless how good it feels in the short term.

Again, this is just my opinion...one person who has a different viewpoint from the original author. Perhaps I have the luxury of not being concerned about water flowing from my faucet, and the author doesn't have that...though I suspect if he/she had the ability to compose this and contribute it for mass consumption he/she shares that luxury.

You have some deep & valid points my friend.

Coming from someone who has set aside his better interests and is currently volunteering in one the poorest parts of Thailand. I have 1st hand experience as to what the word "poverty" means. I now have a new found respect for the life I was brought into in the States. My illusion of reality was burst upon me seeing the things I have seen in the last 30 days. And I don't want to lose that...ever! I know how dificult a village must have had it before we had to cut small man made waterways into the land so they may take advantage of a nearby ravine as a water source. I could go on w/ examples, but I have a feeling you have seen similar in person yourself. Sad thing is...I know there is much worse out there!

Yes...the large percentage of the world beyond our borders that struggle in day to day life would undoubtedly see the American poor and poverty stricken way of life as an "aspirational fantasy" as you put it.

But what's wrong by viewing what we see as bad & tough times and keeping it on an "American" scale, without having to compare it to the rest of the world. And using that as a baseline to work off of for ourselves and keep the standards from falling any lower.
Yes the rest of the world might have it harder then us. And that can be a hard pill to swallow. However I say we fight to maintain and improve on what we have here! Again...getting back to taking care of ourselves. That is what is needed right now...before we can focus on trying to help everyone else.
It's ok...it's time to be a little selfish. America needs that right now.

Last edited:
You can't solve all the worlds ills :banghead:
You'd go broke trying (wait...we already are).

The solution is not to drag the US down to the level
of the third world countries so you don't feel guilty and
over privaliged, by giving away the country.

Suffering and hardships are all realitive to the individual's reality.

You have some deep & valid points my friend.

Coming from someone who has set aside his better interests and is currently volunteering in one the poorest parts of Thailand. I have 1st hand experience as to what the word "poverty" means. I now have a new found respect for the life I was brought into in the States. My illusion of reality was burst upon me seeing the things I have seen in the last 30 days. And I don't want to lose that...ever! I know how dificult a village must have had it before we had to cut small man made waterways into the land so they may take advantage of a nearby ravine as a water source. I could go on w/ examples, but I have a feeling you have seen similar in person yourself. Sad thing is...I know there is much worse out there!

Yes...the large percentage of the world beyond our borders that struggle in day to day life would undoubtedly see the American poor and poverty stricken way of life as an "aspirational fantasy" as you put it.

But what's wrong by viewing what we see as bad & tough times and keeping it on an "American" scale, without having to compare it to the rest of the world. And using that as a baseline to work off of for ourselves and keep the standards from falling any lower.
Yes the rest of the world might have it harder then us. And that can be a hard pill to swallow. However I say we fight to maintain and improve on what we have here! Again...getting back to taking care of ourselves. That is what is needed right now...before we can focus on trying to help everyone else.
It's ok...it's time to be a little selfish. America needs that right now.

Agreed :beerchug:

It is my opinion that what has become the American way of life...i.e. hyperconsumption, is an aberration in history that cannot be sustained long term. Like it or not, resources are finite, and population competing for those resources globally is increasing on an exponential scale. It seems irrational to believe the standard of living we've enjoyed during the sixty years post WW2 is going to continue to improve indefinitely. I hope I'm wrong, but the math just doesn't seem to support that outcome.

I don't feel guilty, or ashamed of the lifestyle I live. I am fortunate, through a combination of education, hard work, saving and investing, and living below my means, to be in a position today where I don't feel my financial security is threatened by any modest attempt to ease the suffering of those less fortunate. I wasn't always in this position...my childhood was nothing more than welfare, food stamps, government cheese and powdered milk. The only difference between myself and a malnourished person in Africa is that had the good fortune to be born in a place with a stable political system, educational opportunities for those who choose them, and tremendous national resources.

I can better afford not to be selfish than some. There was a time in my life when I would have more readily agreed with this philosophy, and as a result I think I can understand the reason someone would write this.

We've got to keep things in perspective though. We don't "need" to live in 2000 square foot (or larger), single family homes. We don't "need" to drive cars with 300 horsepower, or S.U.V.'s that get 15 m.p.g. Most of us don't "need" cellphones, or 24/7 internet access. There's a huge segment of our economy that earns a lot of money by persuading us that we shouldn't be content with the life we have.

Justyntym, your proposition that "Suffering and hardships are all realitive to the individual's reality." would be like me writing "I'm too weak to survive without a 52-inch plasma screen above my fireplace." Forgive me as I struggle to understand this viewpoint.

It's not about the 52 inch plasma anymore...it's about figuring out how to
tell you wife and kids you lost the house and are about to be evicted with
nowhere to go and no money...or it's happened already (to many).

I stress OUT and struggle monthly with keeping my head above water while my
pay keeps shrinking and the govt', credit companies, etc want MORE.
Stop squeezing...the sponge is already dry.

"Need" is also yet another intersting term...
that applies to almost nothing...

Last edited:
It's not about the 52 inch plasma anymore...it's about figuring out how to
tell you wife and kids you lost the house and are about to be evicted with
nowhere to go and no money...or it's happened already (to many).

I stress OUT and struggle monthly with keeping my head above water while my
pay keeps shrinking and the govt', credit companies, etc want MORE.

I wish you, and all who are currently struggling, the best. I am confident you have the ability to find a solution to the challenges you currently face.

Thirty years ago I was one of those kids whose parents struggled with the scenario you wrote of in your first paragraph. We survived, life goes on, and it's less about the experience one endures than how they choose to react as a result. If you have children, I hope you consider this may be a great opportunity for them to learn personal fiscal responsibility that will serve them well when they become adults.

I thought I was poor as a child until I saw how most of the rest of the world lives. As a result, I'll never feel sorry for myself because of what are really minor challenges in the grand scheme of things.

Again, best wishes.

A reflection on our past, requires powerpoint viewer, we were not always fat....

Attachments

• Really_Old_Western_Pictures_dk_11-09.pps
    4.7 MB · Views: 128
I agree with the school of though that America needs to take care of itself right now. I do like the OP's email section about cutting off aid to all the countries that have not ever/will not ever help us. That money should be kept here to help fellow Americans. I think it's a shame that we'd rather send money to nations that have never/will never help instead of giving it to hardworking American's that can't make it during these hard times (and I mean folks that still work their asses off, not those who put everything on a credit card then wonder why they're broke later on).

As for the comparison about a flat screen tv, I don't think that's what justntyme meant when referring to. People who are born into mud huts are content with spending their life in circumstances that WE would normally think is horrid. We are fortunate to be Americans, just lucky to be born here rather than some war torn desolate country. Do I feel for those who don't have running water? Yes. As a human you'd have to be wired wrong to NOT feel bad. But does that mean we should lose everything our forefathers have worked for so that we are down to that level? No definitaly not. And I'll continue to strive to better my life as well as that of my family.

Good discussion and points though :thumbsup:

Back