Alright, let's have some fun today, who can?

Tufbusa

Track Coach / TufPoodle Coach
Registered
Who can answer this quiz question on reading your tires?

Your tire is talking to you. Can you understand the lingo?

How can you visually tell the difference in a cold tear and a hot tear?

This is for fun but actually every rider must know how to read his tires before he can make adjustments to solve the issue.

First one to get the answer gets a kiss on the cheek from Bogus! But Bogus gets to pick the cheek :rofl:

aww ya pickn on me cause I already did the research.... very good grasshopper... :rofl:

here's the pics I had.... btw, how did you know I was working on this?? hmmmmm you be a spy on other board are you?

tire-wear.jpg

Last edited:
hot tear melts and leaves a solid ridge on the edge

cold tear leaves no edge?

1st and 4th pic

google is my friend...thanks for getting me to search

Do you have a pic I don't think I have ever had a tear
added, but I wont tell you which is which.... (would be cheating)

this was my tire I was checking and learning on... (is pretty normal btw) Yea!

DSCN4106.JPG

Last edited:
aww ya pickn on me cause I already did the research.... very good grasshopper... :rofl:

here's the pics I had.... btw, how did you know I was working on this?? hmmmmm you be a spy on other board are you?

Now how could you have already done the research? You don't even know whos arse,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, I mean CHEEK you have to kiss yet? :dunno:

:stirpot:

I'll admit I don't have a clue so this should be interesting. What are the effects/results?

Last edited:
I'll admit I don't have a clue so this should be interesting. What are the effects/results?

X2.

Although I don't think ill have this problem as my chicken strips only come in super size.

lol
Posted via Mobile Device

What's up fellas? I thought we'd have tons of guys weighing in on this one.

I went to the garage and looked though a stack of takeoffs and found one with decent hot tearing but could not find a single tire with cold tears. I have a few more throw aways I'll have a look at later and hopefully I can find a good cold tear example. I'll take some photos to post up. :beerchug:

The two issues are easily identifiable once you know what to look for. I'll post up photos later!

Grrr.. the roads have been crappy around here! Haven't had a chance to shred the tires like that lately. *wishes for spring to arrive and the roads to be clean*

I looked through all the takeoffs I have and found a tire with signs of hot tears but could not find a single tire with cold tears.

This is a tire that's just beginning to show signs of over heating. If you'll notice the ridges are on a 45 degree angle trailing rearward. Hot tears will always trail rearward at a 45 degree angle. This tire really doesn't show tears yet but would develope tears along the ridges as the heat increases.
Photos11510020.jpg

This tire has no cold tears but I used my thumb to show what to look for. A cold tear will be in the shape of a finger nail, half or quarter moon shape. If you can poke your fingernail into the tear and it fits perfectly, it's a cold tear. A cold tear will always have the point of the tear facing the trailing edge or rearward. A cold tear will be up to a mm deep and look as though someone took tweesers and plucked a chunk of rubber out of the face of the tire. If I can wrestle up a good example of a cold tear I'll post it up.
Photos11510030.jpg

This is what a tire should look like if everything is working perfectly with suspension and tire pressure! Notice the tire has the look of an orange peal!
Photos11510025.jpg

Back