computer guru's

djsin

Lily's Daddy
Registered
got a problem..my laptop crashed...I have the original installation cd
and key code...the key code sticker has been on the bottom of my machine for a few years and I cant read part of it....cant register the install:banghead: without the keycode..i have tried many many different combinations of what it looks like it could be...any help, maybe your eyes are better then mine...

btw it is service pack 2...it wont boot anything less..(@#$%)dell

100_1837.jpg

100_1835.jpg

Seems that some of the Dell systems used a "restore" cd/dvd? they did not use the key code on the sticker.. did not need one.. you sure that is the right disk?

Jellybean rocks.. I run it on every computer I do (pulls office numbers too)

Yeah but Bogus you and I both know how reliable Dell's are with the software. I wouldnt wish that crap on my worst enemy.

You could always try to find a key online. It is not like you are stealing a copy of XP since you have the CD for proof.

Another suggestion, if you are interested in trying something different, would be to install Ubuntu. They offer a live CD, which allows you to run Ubuntu without actually installing it so that you can get a taste of it before you permanently install it on the system.

You could always try to find a key online. It is not like you are stealing a copy of XP since you have the CD for proof.

Another suggestion, if you are interested in trying something different, would be to install Ubuntu. They offer a live CD, which allows you to run Ubuntu without actually installing it so that you can get a taste of it before you permanently install it on the system.
technically it is "stealing" possession of the CD/DVD is not proof of ownership..

However, that little sticker on the back of the laptop IS.. Any number you find online is going to probably be flagged by MS already... not a good idea..

2 other options:
Call MS direct.. explain to them what is going on.. MOST likely they are going to brush you off to Dell (volume licenses are not supported by MS)

You will then call Dell and go through the process again.. They "should" be able to give you the correct key or a good one.. (just depends how nice they are feeling)

Yet another way to go is purchase the upgrade to W7. You will need that CD/DVD to perform the install of W7 is all... (we might just make a deal on a copy for your labors at the house in the coming week or 2 :) )

technically it is "stealing" possession of the CD/DVD is not proof of ownership..

However, that little sticker on the back of the laptop IS.. Any number you find online is going to probably be flagged by MS already... not a good idea..

2 other options:
Call MS direct.. explain to them what is going on.. MOST likely they are going to brush you off to Dell (volume licenses are not supported by MS)

You will then call Dell and go through the process again.. They "should" be able to give you the correct key or a good one.. (just depends how nice they are feeling)

Yet another way to go is purchase the upgrade to W7. You will need that CD/DVD to perform the install of W7 is all... (we might just make a deal on a copy for your labors at the house in the coming week or 2 :) )

The fact that you have an authentic copy of the windows xp cd is proof enough. Calling around to all those people can be a huge hassle and chances are they will charge you. Additionally, W7 is still fairly expensive. Finding a key online is a little difficult, but you can def find one that is not flagged by MS and its free.

Its just my 2c no need to :spank: me.

just saying without the Certificate of Authenticity (COA), you are SOL.. The DVD's are easily available (you can even order them from MS),

not beating on you , sorry ..

I have just been down this path (and through the MS licensing program)
They actually publish a manual and produce classes just for this subject and they are BORING...

The fact that you have an authentic copy of the windows xp cd is proof enough. Calling around to all those people can be a huge hassle and chances are they will charge you. Additionally, W7 is still fairly expensive. Finding a key online is a little difficult, but you can def find one that is not flagged by MS and its free.

Its just my 2c no need to :spank: me.

Unfortunately the cd is not proof of anything. I have about 7 different authentic cds on my desk right now but that doesn't mean I own the license.

As Mr Bogus said it's all about the COA.

:beerchug:

Also, I think the code is:

BF64j - BHQJP - YB(8)(T)6 - KJW68 - H94V8.

Last edited:
only to make things worse, there are I think 5 different installs of XP Pro? (and the keys are NOT interchangeable) a real PITA to find out you pulled the wrong disk out of your MAPS kit 20 minutes into an install onsite... :grumble:

Back