UK moves to ban controversial Islamist group

dmrowe

Registered
Wow, this is an interesting read. The UK is moving to ban the group Islam4UK, which has been known by other names which were banned also. Why don't they just strip these people of their citizenship and ship them to the Middle East country of their choice? They want to enjoy the fruits of democracy to destroy it. When their leader says they will re-organize and call themselves whatever they think is suitable....how about DEAD!

UK moves to ban radical Islamist group - Europe- msnbc.com

LONDON - The British government banned an Islamist group notorious for glorifying al-Qaida and tied to terror plots at home and abroad, but its Lebanon-based spiritual leader promised to reorganize under a different name.

The group, Islam4UK, will be banned starting Thursday after its British leader, Anjem Choudary, threatened to bring hundreds of people marching in protest through the streets a small market town known for honoring the British soldiers killed in Afghanistan.

The latest ban puts the group in the same league with terror organizations such as al-Qaida, and the Tamil Tigers. It could lead to the arrest of anyone meeting under the Islam4UK name or using the group's insignia.

The group, previously known as Al-Muhajiroun, was banned before only to change its name and resurface again.

'The Emigrants'
Al-Muhajiroun, which means "The Emigrants" in Arabic, catapulted to notoriety shortly after Sept. 11, 2001, when it organized an event celebrating the airline hijackers who slaughtered thousands in New York, Washington and Pennsylvania.

The group and its founder Omar Bakri became among of the most aggressive voices of radical Islam in Britain. Officials have said that Omar Khan Sharif, who attempted to blow himself up at an Israeli bar in 2003, was associated with al-Muhajiroun. So too was Mohammed Junaid Babar, a Pakistani-born al-Qaida member turned FBI informant. Members of the terrorist cell behind the July 7, 2005 London transit bombings and those convicted in 2007 of plotting to set of explosions across southern England using fertilizer-based explosives also had links to the group.

Officials moved to ban Al-Muhajiroun in the wake of the July 7 attacks, but by then it had ostensibly disbanded. Bakri left the country for Lebanon in late 2005.

Since then group has re-formed under new names — such as the Saved Sect or al-Gurabaa — both of which were banned in 2006.

The groups' leaders Choudary and Bakri reacted fiercely to news of the ban.

"It will rally the youth to our side," Choudary told reporters.

Going to rename itself
Peter Neumann, a professor at the International Center for the Study of Radicalization at King's College in London, said he doubted the ban would have much of an impact.

"It harasses them, but it doesn't make them go away," he said, explaining that the group would probably have to empty its bank account, change its Web site and reprint its promotional material.

In a telephone interview with The Associated Press from Tripoli, Lebanon, Bakri said his followers were looking forward to regrouping under a different name.

"Tomorrow we can call ourselves whatever we think is suitable for us," he said.

Neumann said Islam4UK had been allowed to operate for the past year or so in part because it kept its activities relatively discrete.

It was the national outrage whipped up by Islam4UK's proposed protest at the town of Wootton Basset that drew the government's wrath. The protest was eventually canceled by Choudary, who said his group had made its point.

Muslim council: Target leaders instead
The Muslim Council of Britain, an umbrella group of British Muslim organizations, questioned whether banning the group rather than going after its leaders is the best way to deal with the issue.

"Shouldn't we, as a democracy and a country which upholds the rule of law and order, be banning individuals who break the law rather than banning organizations?" spokesman Inayat Bunglawala said.

Neumann suggested that the ban would not mean the end for al-Muhajiroun, whatever new form it took.

"They've been playing this game for quite a long time," he said.

Last edited:
ban christians, solves all problems. how do you like that now.......

you know the Muslims started it.. :laugh: like how many thousand years ago? then the Christians killed a bunch of them and took over..

we are going full circle. they will kill a bunch of Christians and take over again..

wash and repeat....... anyway, in 40 or 100 years, they will have control and the Christians or some other group will eventually return the favor..

I agree completely that groups whose mission statement is to promote hatred of any sort should be banned. The people who are members of this group should be deported. I'm all for immigration and blending of religions, cultures, races etc. in society but some people don't deserve the opportunity.

ban christians, solves all problems. how do you like that now.......

because the muzzies will kill the jews, the pagans, and everyone who's not muslim. banning christians only shortens their list a little.

Wow, that's ignorant.....

I agree completely that groups whose mission statement is to promote hatred of any sort should be banned. The people who are members of this group should be deported. I'm all for immigration and blending of religions, cultures, races etc. in society but some people don't deserve the opportunity.

these are completely contradictory, explain please

Yeah Let's Ban the Freaking Muslims. While your at it How about them Crazy Christians, Catholics and Jews. "AMERICA **** YEAH" ....................:whistle:

Boy, this thread is going downhill quickly. Uhh, how about the Demon Deacons tonight? We beat MD in OT tonight. WOOT! :thumbsup:

Yeah Let's Ban the Freaking Muslims. While your at it How about them Crazy Christians, Catholics and Jews. "AMERICA **** YEAH" ....................:whistle:

because the christians, catholics, and jews are not in the business of KILLING people who don't agree with them. islam is a violent religion, no two ways about it. they've been violent for thousands of years, their religious book endorses violence against non muslims. let me guess, you think they're a completely peaceful people who are simply misunderstood????

Well since I'm not starting either this conversation nor it's tone, I think I'll throw 2 cents in....one cannot explore history and find a conflict that doesn't have with it a religious component. Competition between religions weather it be geography or beliefs has killed millions and continues to do so. It's amazing what rigid closed minded superstition can do to fundamentalist belivers.
Yeah the drug cartels are awful....but no worse than violence done "in the name of God".
Raydog

can't we just ban muslims?

Something to consider, since they want to kill us.

Even in jest, these are some of the most absurd statements I have seen here.

Unfortunately, they illustrate the all too common sentiment shared by greater America and the members here. It is easy to motivate a Christian dominated Army when the "enemy" can be simply identified as a competing theology. How many millions more will die in this world due to religiously motivated violence?

these are completely contradictory, explain please

No sir, they are not completely contradictory nor are they partially contradictory.

Wow, that's ignorant.....

No explanation needed.

This statement is simply covering itself and does not point to muslims at large, it instead focuses on "Hate Groups". Lump them together with white supremists and they are all the same, it is just that the ones that come from a muslim heritage tend not to have blue eyes and blond hair.

Last edited:
Well since I'm not starting either this conversation nor it's tone, I think I'll throw 2 cents in....one cannot explore history and find a conflict that doesn't have with it a religious component. Competition between religions weather it be geography or beliefs has killed millions and continues to do so. It's amazing what rigid closed minded superstition can do to fundamentalist belivers.
Yeah the drug cartels are awful....but no worse than violence done "in the name of God".
Raydog

stand and :clap: :bowdown:

Back