Lost Dutchman Mine

Phil96

Tail Gunner
Donating Member
Registered
Started a thread about this insane person I worked with who claimed to have
the ability to see to the center of the earth. So I said, well then, let's to
to the Superstition Mountains and find the Lost Dutchman Mine.
Every time I tell this joke, I get blank stares, because nobody knows the
story. Most .org members would know, but for those youngstesr who don't
here's a link. Lots of info on Google. Pic of Weavers' needle, part of Jacob
Walzs' map.
The Lost Dutchman Mine

needle.jpg

Last edited:
gotta hit the steak house up there... :) (Lost Dutchman)

Every year, we had to read about some doink that got lost up in the hills... (we lived at the bottom of the Superstitions in AJ..

Gotta think there is something hidden up there but more like a bag of rocks :laugh:

Lot of dodo's died chasing that dream.
one of my bosses spent many a month hiking those mountains...

you fly over them and you get an idea of just how rugged that country is.. beautiful but pretty dangerous if you are not good in the desert and mountains..

we were about 5 miles west of the main range, grew up with this in our back yard..

(golf course was not there, just creosote, cactus and mesquite) :)

superstition-mountains.jpg

Here is a pic from the camp..

mountain.jpg

Last edited:
Ok, that is a land mark sign! :laugh:

Now, how about .... Buckhorn Baths (hot springs joint)...

:rofl: I remember as a little kid driving past that place and Main street was still dirt~!

Ok, that is a land mark sign! :laugh:

Now, how about .... Buckhorn Baths (hot springs joint)...

:rofl: I remember as a little kid driving past that place and Main street was still dirt~!

Last time I drove thru there was in 1951. rt 66, I think.

I officially declare this thread the "old fart" zone.

36 yrs young here. :laugh:

But I have to say, riding a Busa takes about 20 years off your age. So you're really only 50....ish. :p

Last edited:
But I have to say, riding a Busa takes about 20 years off your age. So you're really only 50....ish. :p

Yes, most think I'm 'bout 50, but as the saying goes: crazy people
never look their age. :laugh:and that's Grecian Formula running
down my neck

HK91 (Small).JPG

Is there such a mystery mine in Arizona? My brother in law use to talk about that all the time when I was out there.

Is there such a mystery mine in Arizona? My brother in law use to talk about that all the time when I was out there.
If you are a tourist, YES!! come dig and hunt for it till you die of thirst in the desert.. :)

The stories have abound for 100 years or so about the stash..(or mine)

There has been so much folklore about it that the fact and fiction run together.. It is a cottage industry in Apache Junction and some really neat history preserved because of it (real gold mines and ghost town stuff)

My guess is that there may be a stash of some value by native Americans or maybe even stage coach robbers but as far as the "fortune" of the legend?

Anyones guess...... Never say never.. :)

I posted a few picks from a trip up Tortilla Flats of that place. Can't seem to find them on my computer anymore.

You gotta love that sotry and all of the people that go chasing after that dream every year. I still live in Phoenix and can remember hearing about people getting lost while looking for it. They eventually get found, but are usually dead.

Back