I remember when...

Dr E

Donating Member
Registered
I remember when I stood to say the pledge of elegance every morning in school.

I remember when at noon the National Anthem played on the radio every day.

I remember all my friends I served with wish all could be here today.

I remember when God, no matter what faith, was treated with reverence.

I remember when we could celebrate holidays for what they were and saying Merry Christmas was not considered wrong at work.

I remember when right from wrong was clearly defined by my parents and when I crossed that line, a spanking did not mean the police were going to arrest my parents for abuse.

I remember when adults were treated with respect from a yes sir and yes ma'am.

I remember when open discussion in school was allowed and you teachers actually taught from defined lesson plans, not from politicians who think one size plan fits all.

I remember passbook savings at banks.

I remember full service gas stations as the norm.

I remember my parents and that they loved me and I loved them.

I remember being a kid and wishing I was grown up...I wish I had taken more time to enjoy being a kid.

These are some of the things that I remember growing up.

I am tired of looking to the future of what life will bring. I am here today, my family is here today, I may never pass this way again and I may never have the chance to tell my friends how much they mean to me, how I cherish what you give to my life being who you are.

When life hits you in the face square on and reminds you of just how precious things are...take the time to notice.

What are the things you remember that you miss today?

I remember FDR
Enter LA and smell orange blossoms.
Enter San Antonio and hearing "San Antonio Rose" 1947
Unlocked doors
Leave toys on front yard
Route 66
Burma shave signs and ryhmes

Last edited by a moderator:
Times aren't anything like they used to be. I remember as a little girl being able to ride around the block by myself on my Huffy, walk home from friends houses just before dark, playing in the creek, walking down to the liquor store for ice cream... Kid's can't do that stuff any more. :poke:

I remember when a gallon of gas (Canadian gallon) was 47 cents.
I remember dirt biking for years and now there are houses.
I remember when a man's word was his bond.
I remember when CEO's worked to make the company and shareholders wealthy.
I remember when you could admire your politicians.
I remember when there weren't any "abuse will not be tolerated" signs about, because those people valued you and did not give you abuse.
Best stop now, but great thread!! :thumbsup:

Oh one more rant... I remember when kids used to walk around with their pants UP, fight with fist's, use chalk on sidewalks instead of paint on fences, get spankings in public and no one called 911, didn't know the number to CPS by heart, said yes mam in school instead of F' you, made eye contact, smiled at others instead of trying to look "hard," left bikes in the front yard without fear of theft, be 13 years old WITHOUT being morbidly obese...

Ok, Moving on. I'm just getting pissed off.

Spanking your child is not abuse, abusing your child is. Yes I remember all these things. I can also remember our first color Television,

Drive-In Theaters
Jiffy Pop Popcorn ( you know the aluminum bag that inflated )
Hand me down clothing
Every Saturday haircuts $00.25
A $00.30 gallon of gas, oil check, windshield cleaned, and a glass for a fill-up

I could go on, but I'll let others add..........

I'm keeping my mouth shut... :whistle:

for once :laugh:

Zombies have feeling too

zombie1.jpg

Last edited:
Back