Accident. advice?

Datsun350Z

Registered
No, I wasn't riding in todays 19 degree weather... or this would have been much worse.

Last night I was heading to a movie and my power steering went out (Unsuccessful patch of an audi-only $160 hardline). No big deal, I left it at my girlfriends job and made it to Daybreakers on time.

She drove me to pick it up today, on the way back we had a problem.

4 cars, me 3rd, her last in line.

first car (Malibu) decides to turn without a blinker, has to stop for oncoming traffic.
second car (Jetta) stops in time, barely.
third car (me in my TT) stopped in time with about 15' of room to spare.
4th car (girlfriend in my subaru wagon) locks up tires (New studded snow tires, slid on the studs)

I moved forward after stoppping, up to about 3 feet away from the car in front of me to give her extra room to stop, came to a stop again. She hit me and pushed me forward into the jetta in front of me.

Malibu had no contact
Scuff to the jettas rear bumper by my front bumper, he didn't care, no ins claim.

My front and rear bumpers are done, grill is dead, possibly more damage ~2k rough estimate by eye.

minimal damage to the subaru, i can fix it myself.

Question is, will my liablilty (on both cars) cover my car hitting my own car?

I'm not planning on telling my ins unless i'm fairly certain I will be covered.
so advice telling me to ask my ins won't be necessary :lol:

Road conditions sometime negate "at fault" in single vehicle situations, not so sure about multiple ones. Check the local DMV and I am sure they will have online FAQ's'
Good luck and I am glad you are all Okay.:thumbsup:
Bubba

Her (your Saburu)vehicle would be the payer. That vehicle pushed the other cars. As far as liability, the car is covered, not the driver for material damage. You should be good to go as far as coverage.

Last edited:
aussie, thanks, i hope this is true, after the eagles finish losing this joke of a game i'll call my ins.

PM replied

from what i see, the sub would be at fault. you should be covered, but it depends on your insurance. some policies exclude certain persons. hope it all works out for you. i know you dont wanna hear it, but the only way to know for sure is to call the ins people.

gonna go watch the eagles win now, be back after the game

How'd that work out for ya :poke: Eagles looked as flat as I've seen them.

:lol: Don't worry ....I'm a Redskins fan...so watching Dallas win was no consolation for me either.

Sorry to hear about your TT. I had a 2004 Crimson Red A4 that I absolutely adored. Hope Ins will take care of it for you.

I' d love to hear and see the insurance rep' s reaction, when you explain that one of your cars hit the other, and you want to file a claim. No way you' re getting out of this one without paying the deductible. Guess it' s a good thing the Jetta isn' t filing a claim. That might even be more interesting to explain. "My car hit me, and pushed me into his car."

Sorry to about this though man. Keep us posted though, I' d like to know what they say.

Back