Question for you all

sleepless_red

The artist formerly known as "sleeper_red"
Donating Member
Registered
I'm sure all of you have heard of guys whether friends or relatives that want to start riding but their wife/girlfriend won't let them. I know 4 of them right now that want to ride and just can't do it.

When I took my MSF class in Hagerstown back in October of '05, my wife even went with me. She got up so early, we then had breakfast at IHOP before it started and she sat in the car the whole morning just watching us. Also, she kept telling me to pop a wheelie several times.:laugh: You know, I'm the same way with her even when we were still dating. I always tell her..."We only live once. If it's going to make you happy and you can afford it, go for it."
What do you guys think? I understand the danger that's involved in motorcycling. I know it's a risk. So, what do you guys think?
Are we the lucky ones to have a girlfriend or wife that let us ride? Let me hear from you.

Last edited:
Yeh I think we are, I was riding before I met my partner, and he didn't say a thing just a bit worried when I went out on my own. Now I have the same concerns about when he goes out on his own since passing his test and getting a bike. So definetly lucky on that score.

Last edited:
If they want to that badly, let them, but keep an eye out on the late starters.
Are they talented, accident-prone? etc

If they want to that badly, let them, but keep an eye out on the late starters.
Are they talented, accident-prone? etc
:beerchug:
By the way, now that you mentioned it, I was 38 when I started. No experience whatsoever prior to taking the MSF. Never even pushed the starter button on a bike.

It doesn't really matter when you start, as long as you take the correct courses and buy the right bike to learn how to ride.After passing your test, as we all on this site know, passing the test does not a competent and safe rider make.

I' m 31, just bought my Busa in November, no prior riding experience whatsoever. I still need to take my MSF course though, to lower my insurance, and learn a few things. I have absolutely noone to tell me I can' t do what I want. That' s the beauty of being single! :thumbsup:

I'm sure all of you have heard of guys whether friends or relatives that want to start riding but their wife/girlfriend won't let them. I know 4 of them right now that want to ride and just can't do it.

When I took my MSF class in Hagerstown back in October of '05, my wife even went with me. She got up so early, we then had breakfast at IHOP before it started and she sat in the car the whole morning just watching us. Also, she kept telling me to pop a wheelie several times.:laugh: You know, I'm the same way with her even when we were still dating. I always tell her..."We only live once. If it's going to make you happy and you can afford it, go for it."
What do you guys think? I understand the danger that's involved in motorcycling. I know it's a risk. So, what do you guys think?
Are we the lucky ones to have a girlfriend or wife that let us ride? Let me hear from you.

Do what ? Have all man cards been revoked, seriously people. There's danger in living............

There are risks all around...on the bike you have to be aware of others, conditions, and your ability. Accidents happen and being prepared is part of the learning process...at 10 yrs old or 60. Suggest that you take the class again with them and their wives...if the support each other cool...if not that is their choice. Having a good foundation will only help.

My wife was dead set against me getting a sport bike two years ago. We'd been together for about 6 years at that point but I hadnt been on a bike since about 2 years before we got together. But now, she gets depressed everytime I leave on it without her.:laugh:

We are lucky BUT if you are with a woman who says no and means it then your with the wrong woman.
My wife tells me 'no' all the time but in the end she knows if I want something I am gonna get it.
She is happy to not argue about things like that because I know when she calls me from the mall to tell me about the purse on sale she was thinking about buying its already full of her stuff and on the way home with her.

They are our better half whether you want to admit it or not.
Voice of reason and when asked if you can do something dangerous their first concern is of the future. What if something happens to you, chute doesnt open, new gun blows up, crash on your dream bike. We as men live for the moment and only think about the later the millisecond before we eat asphalt.
They think about themselves and the loss of you. Say to themselves what will I do, who will take care of me-mentally and physically.

So out of concern for preserving status quo......they say no.
Upon discussion and with real love they should let you do whatever makes you happy and support you when its done....

We are lucky BUT if you are with a woman who says no and means it then your with the wrong woman.
My wife tells me 'no' all the time but in the end she knows if I want something I am gonna get it.
She is happy to not argue about things like that because I know when she calls me from the mall to tell me about the purse on sale she was thinking about buying its already full of her stuff and on the way home with her.

They are our better half whether you want to admit it or not.
Voice of reason and when asked if you can do something dangerous their first concern is of the future. What if something happens to you, chute doesnt open, new gun blows up, crash on your dream bike. We as men live for the moment and only think about the later the millisecond before we eat asphalt.
They think about themselves and the loss of you. Say to themselves what will I do, who will take care of me-mentally and physically.

So out of concern for preserving status quo......they say no.
Upon discussion and with real love they should let you do whatever makes you happy and support you when its done....

Agree completly sir.

i'm 51...rode all my life from 14 on...but went only 7 years "Bikeless" right after the birth of our first daughter...but 3 daughters and 7 years later?...i told the wife i was stressed and needed to get back on two wheels again...sho forbid me to...1 week later i had a booger green '00 Kawi ZRX1100R "eddie lawson race replica" bought, paid for and garaged...she didn't speak to me for a week...then on sat. afternoon she was gardening and i was proudly washing my new 2 wheeled beauty...i caught her starr'in at me and asked.."wtf is up w/ you?"...her: whaddaya mean?...me: you're starring at me..her: oh..it's just that i haven't seen you this happy in quite some while..with a smile and a twinkle in her eye...proving once again to me that...

"It's always better to beg forgiveness than ask permission"

sometimes. :rofl:

L8R, Bill. :cool:

Last edited:
My gal rides too...and it's great! It's wonderful to be able to ride together, share the same passion. We have good times together...and she's even gotten better at the twisties ;)

Tell 'em to grow some nads ???

I dont have to ask permission, to have a bike or take ride, she knows me, she loves to ride with me. I agree, if you are not with someone that shares your passion, or at least understands it, you may be with the wrong person.

By the way, now that you mentioned it, I was 38 when I started. No experience whatsoever prior to taking the MSF. Never even pushed the starter button on a bike.

That's because your talented!:beerchug::beerchug:I started when I was 13, back in
1953, so I can get away with being a crazy spaz:laugh:

whizzer.jpg

Last edited:
One solution, tell your friends with girlfriends to dump em! Get the bike and enjoy life! There's plenty of other women out there who would let them have a bike and maybe even enjoy it with them.

Those of them that have a wife have a harder sell but a serious talk about things is in order I say. Like others have said, if they're dead set against it there's a problem. Everything in life has dangers - heck, you could get popped by a drunk driver walking out to get the mail! If it's your time, it's your time. A good sit down explaining their desire might help, if not, perhaps marriage counseling to air things out and hopefully bridge the gap.

Let us... the operative words that cause 95% of the problems in relationships. If a person has a spouse, girlfriend, boyfriend or some other sort of significant partner, they are exactly that... our partner, not our parent.

I would never restrict my wife from doing what she wants to do. I may tell her that I dont think its a good idea because thats my opinion, but its not a dictate that she must conform to. I'd never stop her from doing what she wants to do, because Im confident that she is considering ME while considering her actions. On the flip side, SHE isnt going to do something that she thinks will be detrimental to our relationship. I dont see where motorcycling has anything to do with that.

If she had been into deep sea diving, or high altitude parachuting prior to me meeting her, who the hell am I to stop, or even intercede in HER activity, even though it might be dangerous??
Im not her father!! She is capable of making her own decisions.

Now, if her idea is going to Daytona for Bike Week with some other dude, THAT would obviously be a problem, because she knows in advance that its potentially a threat to us as a couple, but IMO, that situation would not come up in a relationship where people consider each other, just like I wouldnt go away for the weekend with a female co-worker... its inappropriate.

Bottom line is real simple: Be considerate of others, and treat them as you would wanna be treated, act functionally and not dysfunctionally, and for the most part, shid will go smoothly. There will always be bumps in the road, but a healthy relationship will find a way thru them.

Sorry if this seems like a hijack, but on the surface, the question seems to be about motorcycles... but underneath the question seems to be more about the overall health of the relationship.

Last edited:
Back