Ping NC speeding ticket advice

jellyrug

Donating Member
Registered
77 in a 55, seems as if all tickets in this state have to go to court?

Any experience in the State?

Do they have traffic school here?

That ticket should be prepayable unless otherwise noted. Was it a NC State Trooper? Nail ya in the undercover Tahoe?

No traffic school that I know of. 22 over is careless and reckless here in NC. Many points behind that one and maybe license suspension for 30 days. If you have a pretty good driving record then you might can have it reduced. Best thing to do is get a lawyer.

I got a ticket at Myrtle Beach SC back in 03' for failing to turn in bus lane. I called down just before I was going to send a check and asked exactly how many points the ticket carry. The clerk asked if I ran a stop sigh or something because the charge carries 4 points. I drove back to SC and after a 4hr visit my $140 ticket came to $175.

The option I was given was pay $75 and keep the 4 points or pay $175 and no have any points. I have not been back to Myrtle Beach since! Now I see build board ads about visiting Myrtle Beach around here off I95. They can sink for all I care.!:laugh:

This is Mrs Jellyrug now and the whole story is Jellyrug told me to follow him and I got pulled over trying to keep up. I have an Arkansas drivers license does that matter?

Hi Mrs... I did a quick search and found that North Carolina has reciprocal licensing arrangements with Arkansas...

If you are worried about points, get some professional help as anything that happens in NC does not stay there , it will follow you home..

No traffic school that I know of. 22 over is careless and reckless here in NC. Many points behind that one and maybe license suspension for 30 days. If you have a pretty good driving record then you might can have it reduced. Best thing to do is get a lawyer.

Dude...your going to scare the guy sh*tless. As far as I know, it's at the Leo's discretion whether to assign the ticket to be reckless or not. And if he does, it would be clearly noted on the ticket, stating that he must appear in court.

Hi Mrs... I did a quick search and found that North Carolina has reciprocal licensing arrangements with Arkansas...

If you are worried about points, get some professional help as anything that happens in NC does not stay there , it will follow you home..

Randy,

I have a small favor to ask, can you please check the search that you used above and see if NC also reciprocates with Missouri. I would be be greatly appreciated. Have something I want cleared up for the near future.

TIA

Brian

I don't think the leo has to specify it to be careless and reckless. Certain actions fall under the same category. I do think that anything 15 and over the posted speed limit is considered careless and reckless here. I got a 120 in a 70 and it was not written as careless and reckless on the ticket but it was on my dmvr.

Had a female friend that was so use to getting off the hook here in NC because she had her CDL. She went to VA and tried to pull 75mph on hwy 58 from the beach and got pulled. She had the nerve to be pissed because she got a ticket. I told here that Va leo do not have warning ticket hearts and if they light you up 9 times out of 10 you are going to get a ticket male or female, CDL or no CDL!

Last edited:
It is careless and reckless.I'm from there and just beat a 81/55 a month ago,no points awarded that i got when I went home for my brother's wedding.What area did you get ticket in might be able to help you?lmk got a bit of inside info for you on a couple things you can do.

Search "non-resident violators compact" (NRVC) Plenty of info on the subject.

Beat Speeding Ticket Defense

I bought this book 8 years ago, but never got to use it. Went to court last week for the very first time. Went from a $190 ticket to $160 'prosecutor' offer to $0 'not guilty verdict.

It's intimidating to go to court for the first time, but if you prepare, you can beat it easily.

we do have driving school here
had a friend get a ticket and taken the class i think he said no points almost like yours 78/55
i will ask him what he did and chime back in

This is Mrs Jellyrug now and the whole story is Jellyrug told me to follow him and I got pulled over trying to keep up. I have an Arkansas drivers license does that matter?

Yes, that means NC can't take your license. They are very rough in the Asheville area. My advice, go see the DA on trial date and ask for a reduced ticket. Typically 9 over v. 22 over. If that works out pay it and be done with it.
Defensive driving courses typically take 2 to 4 points off. Check it out.

Good luck with it all. If they refuse to work with you before trial, you might consider getting a continuance and hiring a lawyer. I'm sure you have already received several letters from good attorneys in NC willing to represent you. What a system..............

I hope they show some sort of mercy on ya! With the shape the economy is in, I am surprised if they give any breaks nowadays!

Hire a local lawyer in the town in which you got the ticket and they should be able to get it dismissed. I have several times. They all play golf together after court. I don't agree with it, but if you want it to disappear you need to pay into their local "economic system". :thumbsup:

It won't disappear! The insurance companies pull records of such events nowadays. Insurance companies in some states have their own point system. They charge you points even if your case is dismissed simply because you are charged by the leo. I have had this happen to me so it is nothing I am making up. The way it caught up with me is every time the policy renews they pull a dmvr and see what ya been up to. Now if the lawyer can make it disappear from dmv then you got it made in the shade. I think I had a lawyer long ago that could do that voodoo.

It won't disappear! The insurance companies pull records of such events nowadays. Insurance companies in some states have their own point system. They charge you points even if your case is dismissed simply because you are charged by the leo. I have had this happen to me so it is nothing I am making up. The way it caught up with me is every time the policy renews they pull a dmvr and see what ya been up to. Now if the lawyer can make it disappear from dmv then you got it made in the shade. I think I had a lawyer long ago that could do that voodoo.

You are partially correct. It will disappear if they completely dismiss the charge or reduce it to something that is not consider a moving violation. There are two different sets of points (insurance pts & driving pts), however as long as the charge is dismissed it should not appear on your MVR. You should know this once you speak with your attorney on how it was discharged in court. There are circumstances where you can still be charged if the reduction is still considered a moving violation with the insurance company however if it's truly dismissed or lowered to a non-moving violation your insurance cannot charge you (I'm a licensed NC Insurance agent).

I'll give you another tip. If you do get a ticket and you can't get it dismissed or reduced to a non-moving violation DO NOT CHANGE INSURANCE COMPANIES FOR AT LEAST 3 YEARS. Most insurance companies do not continue to pull new MVR's on all drivers on renewal customers so chances are they'll never find out about the new violation. If however you change companies the new insurance company WILL DEFINITELY PULL A NEW MVR which will show the new violation and any company forward will charge you for the new violation.

I'll give you another tip. If you do get a ticket and you can't get it dismissed or reduced to a non-moving violation DO NOT CHANGE INSURANCE COMPANIES FOR AT LEAST 3 YEARS. Most insurance companies do not continue to pull new MVR's on all drivers on renewal customers so chances are they'll never find out about the new violation. If however you change companies the new insurance company WILL DEFINITELY PULL A NEW MVR which will show the new violation and any company forward will charge you for the new violation.[/QUOTE said:
I was with the same carrier when they pulled my MVR!

I was with the same carrier when they pulled my MVR!

I didn't say all companies, most companies. Auto insurance is broken down into two types of risks, standard and non-standard. A standard risk is what the company would consider a lower risk due to few points if any, minimal claim activity, and/or higher credit score action codes. A non-standard risk is what the company would consider a higher risk due to multiple points, higher claim activity, inexperienced drivers, and/or lower credit score action codes.

Insurance companies tend to specialize in what types of risks they want to write. For example, Progressive tends to specialize in the non-standard market, whereas companies such as State Farm tend to specialize in the standard market. This is another reason why people should shop their insurance, because there can be a major difference between carriers due to the type of business they target.

Now back to my earlier point, most companies (especially standard companies) have found it less cost effective to continually pull a new MVR which they may be charged $7-$14 per driver on lower risks. On the other hand non-standard carriers are more prone to repull MVR's, because if they believe the benefit (finding additional violations) outweighs the cost of the pull ($7-$14 per driver X # of drivers) they may find it necessary to at least pull one once a year instead of every six months.

I'm not sure who you were with or what type of risk you are (standard vs non-standard) however more and more companies (especially standard companies) are finding it less cost effective to continually pull a new MVR on drivers that have a pretty clean history. Hopefully this helps to explain things further. :thumbsup: Sorry to hear you got hooked up.

where did you get the ticket first of all... what county? That can factor into this. Your ticket if written as careless and wreckless, you are boned. If its just written as speeding, you can almost certainly talk to the DA to have it reduced and pay the fine. You pay it (which means you plead guilty) you get points. You get a lawyer and fight it, it could go away from the points/penalty perspective however you will be coming out of pocket a good bit to have that... plus there is no 100% on that one.

Call the DA's office for the county you got the ticket, ask them what can be done as you are out of state. Phone call never hurts to try :thumbsup:

if you got it in wake/chatam co., I might know a miracle worker but he's not 100% but never failed me or my friends :thumbsup:

I don't think the leo has to specify it to be careless and reckless. Certain actions fall under the same category. I do think that anything 15 and over the posted speed limit is considered careless and reckless here. I got a 120 in a 70 and it was not written as careless and reckless on the ticket but it was on my dmvr.

Had a female friend that was so use to getting off the hook here in NC because she had her CDL. She went to VA and tried to pull 75mph on hwy 58 from the beach and got pulled. She had the nerve to be pissed because she got a ticket. I told here that Va leo do not have warning ticket hearts and if they light you up 9 times out of 10 you are going to get a ticket male or female, CDL or no CDL!

It is careless and reckless.I'm from there and just beat a 81/55 a month ago,no points awarded that i got when I went home for my brother's wedding.What area did you get ticket in might be able to help you?lmk got a bit of inside info for you on a couple things you can do.

I didn't say all companies, most companies. Auto insurance is broken down into two types of risks, standard and non-standard. A standard risk is what the company would consider a lower risk due to few points if any, minimal claim activity, and/or higher credit score action codes. A non-standard risk is what the company would consider a higher risk due to multiple points, higher claim activity, inexperienced drivers, and/or lower credit score action codes.

Insurance companies tend to specialize in what types of risks they want to write. For example, Progressive tends to specialize in the non-standard market, whereas companies such as State Farm tend to specialize in the standard market. This is another reason why people should shop their insurance, because there can be a major difference between carriers due to the type of business they target.

Now back to my earlier point, most companies (especially standard companies) have found it less cost effective to continually pull a new MVR which they may be charged $7-$14 per driver on lower risks. On the other hand non-standard carriers are more prone to repull MVR's, because if they believe the benefit (finding additional violations) outweighs the cost of the pull ($7-$14 per driver X # of drivers) they may find it necessary to at least pull one once a year instead of every six months.

I'm not sure who you were with or what type of risk you are (standard vs non-standard) however more and more companies (especially standard companies) are finding it less cost effective to continually pull a new MVR on drivers that have a pretty clean history. Hopefully this helps to explain things further. :thumbsup: Sorry to hear you got hooked up.

All of the above is interesting & informative info. Shows you what I know...and I live in NC! :laugh:
From my years of living in VA, i just remember that the officer had to charge you with reckless at his discretion if the infraction was 20mph or over. And a court date was MANDATORY. I guess in NC, its different. Very confusing!

The whole system is designed for you to dig into your wallet for the best outcome. Plain & simple. :banghead:

Definitely worth a :bump: for others to read and chime in on.

Back