R/C Helo'

I'm confused ???

How do you make a helicoptor generate lift when it's upside down?

I can't see the pic...but RC choppers of quality have an extra channel for the blades to rotate in their cups...

Once you turn upside down the blade angle reverses from where it was when the chopper was right side up...very intertaining~!~

I've never been good enough to trust myself with high $$$ choppers but I've crashed my share of planes doing tricks (under insurance of course):whistle:

For skill it probably doesn't get much better than that...awsome to say the least...gyros can only do so much to add stability and that seems to be in and out of control be the second.

Last edited:
here's a beast~!~

I'm looking for a vid that shows the functions of the rotor systems~!~

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm looking for a vid that shows the functions of the rotor systems~!~

I could make a vid of mine but it's really easy to 'splain.....ok, actually it isn't. Here's a close up pic of the CNC head I have on my HB CP2 (not my pic, my heli is in the garage and it's colder than a nipple in a brass bra right now so not going out to get a pic). You can tell there's quite a little complex network of arms but it's basically a push/pull setup that changes the pitch of the blades from 0-18 degrees on the one I have, both negative and positive. This way the blades can run at full throttle at 0 degrees and generate zero lift. When inverted it's simply a matter of moving the left trim adjustment down to invert the pitch of the blades. Kinda cool how it all works but if you crash it's a real pain in the wallet! :laugh: The swashplate which is the silver disc part in the lower area of the head is what enables collective pitch on a heli. The swashplate also tilts the blades in a forward or backward motion allowing heli's to fly in reverse (that's the 2nd plane I'm referring to in the pic below - 1 plane is side/side, the 2nd is front/back). Helis without CP are called fixed pitch helis. Those are the best type for someone just trying to learn as a full blown CP heli is an expensive way to learn how to fly.

I added some text to the pic to help explain some of the parts and functions. I'd love to do a quick vid since I have my vHoldr HD camera, might have to do that this weekend. :thumbsup:

cnc1.jpg

Last edited:
holy crap JDSBusa... that thing looks pretty sophisticated... dang... I bet with all that billet bling there is a nice $$$ attached as well...

holy crap JDSBusa... that thing looks pretty sophisticated... dang... I bet with all that billet bling there is a nice $$$ attached as well...

Not really sophisticated, once you look at one close up they're just a fancy piece of equipment. Like I said, one plane of the swashplate is front/back and one is side/side. Kind of like....a steering wheel with tilt. :laugh: Not really, but that's the easiest way to compare it to something we use everyday.

Expensive - yes. The head cost me more than my heli did originally! :whistle: The CNC is pretty to look at but you'd think the crap is made of gold as much as they charge for it!

It's a more expensive hobby than the Busa for sure! I just toy around with mine, dude in that video had mad skills! Now way I'd ever do half the stuff he does, I'd be broke from repairs all the time.

I loved these things as a kid. I got into the R/C planes and cars pretty big but never messed with heli's much other than on the simulator. Well, pops sent me one of the new micro electric ones for Christmas so I've been flying it around the house. I can't do any of the inverted stuff with it but it's fun chasing the dog around the house and doing touch and goes on the wife's dresser and TV when she's in bed... :laugh:

Check this out. No tricks, but this thing's pretty dang sweet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back