Been geeking it up

theskaz

I am all that is BACON!
Donating Member
Registered
So for the past 2 weeks i have been in geek heaven, or my living room, whichever you call it. I put together a 400 dollar HTPC (home theater PC) and set it up. took 2 weeks to get this far.
photo.jpg
Runs MythBuntu 9.10 (.22 MythTv)
video and sound go, unadulterated, throught the HDMI cable and the receiver translates. i have NFS mounts to a Server 2008 File Server located elsewhere in the house that actually houses the videos (6TB setup expandable to 20TB+) across a GB switch. Still don't have my remote working but there apparently is a bug. The coolest thing about this, i think, is that it has all the metadata for all the videos, meaning director, year, plot, rating, and artwork (ie case).

photo.jpg

oh yeah and i also got that thing to rip blu-rays to .mkv without visible quality loss and they take up about 7GB per movie. I had to do it like that because linux cannot play blu-rays due to licensing issues.

Runs MythBuntu 9.10 (.22 MythTv)
video and sound go, unadulterated, throught the HDMI cable and the receiver translates. i have NFS mounts to a Server 2008 File Server located elsewhere in the house that actually houses the videos (6TB setup expandable to 20TB+) across a GB switch. Still don't have my remote working but there apparently is a bug. The coolest thing about this, i think, is that it has all the metadata for all the videos, meaning director, year, plot, rating, and artwork (ie case).

WTF...Did he just say ?

Si Senor.....U r a nice gringo.....and you hab a nise telebision..

(B4 NE1 gets upset I am mocking my wife speaking like that)

Last edited:
very nice geek! now buy a Hsu sub for that surround system and you will truly be in heaven!

Looks like a sweet set-up Keven. I'm a bit of a HT geek myself...kind of a 2nd hobby. A well put together HTPC can be a tall order and it does take time. My question is.... how far off are you on your $400 quote!?? :poke: Need to add a zero in there? :laugh:

That's unheard of!

Can you give us a rundown of what software you are using in addition to Linux? Also, what brand of Linux do you use? $400 is a drop in the bucket for that type of setup (if it's $400 and not $4000 like Takeuon said :) )

NVM, I re-read it and saw the first thing you said...mythbuntu myth tv, etc. I'll check it out.

Last edited:
Couple questions for you though.

1. What kinda loads does that put on the comp? Quite a bit or almost non existent.

2. It is my assumption you are having to run that in GUI mode not in just plain jane CLI. Can you run that OS in CLI and just feed the signal through something such as a browser across the network to the TV. Wanna keep the load to a minimum.

3. If you can feed it across a network, does it only allow 1 feed at a time or can you stream multiple items at the same time. (Given you have the network capabilities.)

Just curious trying to find a setup that will allow multiple feeds at the same time vs just the 1 which I have now. Have a second comp to set it all up on just need to find the right progs to pull it off with. I am really wanting an "On Demand" feed system which I can pull the movies from my NAS to my TV without having to run to the comp to change the current prog settings.

Looks like a sweet set-up Keven. I'm a bit of a HT geek myself...kind of a 2nd hobby. A well put together HTPC can be a tall order and it does take time. My question is.... how far off are you on your $400 quote!?? :poke: Need to add a zero in there? :laugh:

That's unheard of!

the box cost me 405 @ newegg

Back