I was scared to death!!!!!

Rev. 6:5

Registered
The official announcement was made today. I took the stage right before Coach Phillips in order to get my award. I had to give a statement from the heart in front of all the media! It was horrible! I thought I was going to pass out!

QBAward_01.jpg

QBAward_06.jpg

Kind of a long read, but it explains the photos....

COWBOYS ANNOUNCE 2009 COMMUNITY QUARTERBACK
Recognition & Grant Program Awards More than $15,000 to Volunteers Across the Metroplex

Irving, TX – The Dallas Cowboys announced today Officer Clinton “Pete” Turner with the Farmers Branch Police Department as the 2009 Dallas Cowboys Community Quarterback Award winner. Turner was nominated for his volunteer work with The Family Place – a non-profit organization that provides programs, services, shelter and outreach aimed at stopping family and domestic violence. For being named the Community Quarterback, Turner received a $10,000 grant from Gene and Jerry Jones Family Charities donated in his name to The Family Place.

The Dallas Cowboys Community Quarterback Award volunteer recognition program was designed to help identify local volunteers who demonstrate leadership, dedication and a commitment to bettering the Dallas-Fort Worth community. Now in its tenth year, the award has granted nearly $200,000 in funds to worthwhile non-profits on behalf of their hard working volunteers.

“I am humbled to be selected Community Quarterback by such an honored organization as the Dallas Cowboys,” says Turner. “I am thrilled that my volunteer work could help raise money for this important cause and one that I believe in very strongly.”

Turner, a 15-year veteran with the Farmers Branch Police Department (FBPD), is an extremely active volunteer who through his work in public safety has witnessed the impact of domestic violence up-close. Turner donates his time to working with youth in The Family Place’s Latino Counseling Program, assists with the administrative office in maintaining their fundraising databases and organizes a Santa Cop program with the FBPD to benefit the children serviced by the non-profit.

Through his work with The Family Place’s Latino Counseling Program, Turner encourages youth to share their personal stories and implements practical exercised geared at increasing self-esteem. Turner works to show children who typically only see police during times of personal crisis that public safety personnel are caring individuals outside of violent times. At his own expense and time, Turner has begun taking Spanish lessons in order to better communicate with the youth in the program.

“Working with children in counseling at The Family Place has helped me become a better police officer,” says Turner. “Now, when responding to a family violence call, I have a better understanding of the impact the experience has on the children and a how we can help these innocent victims of family violence.”

Turner has increased his volunteer service to The Family Place to also include processing domestic violence calls through the FBPD so that he can encourage women to seek assistance from organizations like The Family Place and take advantage of Emergency Protective Orders. Turner often hands out the non-profit’s business cards to victims and explains the organization’s programs and how they can benefit the family’s children. To complete this process, Turner personally calls or visits victims several weeks after the assault in order to check on their welfare and reinforce the importance of working towards the longer two-year protective orders.

“On behalf of our family and the Dallas Cowboys, we are honored to recognize Officer Pete Turner for his dedication and volunteer service to The Family Place,” said Charlotte Jones Anderson, Dallas Cowboys Executive Vice President. “Officer Turner is the third public safety official we have recognize through the Community Quarterback Award program since its inception in 2000. We continue to be amazed by these brave first responders who not only dedicate their lives to making our community a safer place to live but also give their time and resources to making a difference.”

- over -

Today’s announcement included a $10,000 check presentation made by Charlotte Anderson to The Family Place. Joining Turner in accepting the $10,000 donation was Paige Flink, Executive Director of The Family Place. Turner will also be honored as the Dallas Cowboys Community Quarterback Award winner at a special pre-game ceremony held during the Dallas Cowboys verses Philadelphia Eagles playoff game at Cowboys Stadium on Saturday, January 9th.

“Pete Turner is an extraordinary volunteer who goes above and beyond the call of duty with zeal and compassion,” says Flink. “From administrative office work, to helping kids in our counseling program, to inspiring his City of Farmers Branch co-workers to donate, we are very fortunate to have Pete on The Family Place team.”

A Community Quarterback Award panel composed of team representatives and local media reviewed the nominations for the award. The panelists included Calvin Hill – former Dallas Cowboys and team consultant, Babe Laufenberg – KTVT-TV CBS 11 Sports Anchor, Brad Sham – Dallas Cowboys Radio Play-By-Play, Kristi Scales – Dallas Cowboys Radio Sideline Reporter, Mrs. Gene Jones – Dallas Cowboys Charities Chairman of the Board and Mrs. Charlotte Anderson – Dallas Cowboys Executive Vice President.

This year’s runners-up for the Dallas Cowboys Community Quarterback Award were Ms. Marion Hustis for her work with Equest and Mr. Dale Long for his many years of service to Big Brothers Big Sisters. The two charities of the runners-up each will receive a $1,500 grant for their charity, a runners-up trophy and a certificate of appreciation.

The seven finalists for the 2009 Dallas Cowboys Community Quarterback Award (in no particular order) are Kelly Crush – Muscular Dystrophy Association, Sylvia Benenson – National Council of Jewish Women, Richard Worth – Interfaith Housing Coalition, Hal Brown – Happy Hill Farm Academy/Home, Edith Crittendon – The Salvation Army, Marc Courville – Dallas Defenders Football Club and Douglas Hawthorne – March of Dimes. Each of these finalists will receive grants of $500 donated to their nominating charity, a finalist’s trophy and a certificate of appreciation.

To be considered for the Dallas Cowboys Community Quarterback Award, volunteers nominated must donate their time to helping non-profit (501c3 or 509) organizations, be non-compensated for their charitable work and be at least 13-years-old. Nominations for the award were accepted September to November by the Dallas Cowboys Community Relations Department.

The mission of The Family Place is to eliminate family violence through intervention and proactive prevention, extensive community education, advocacy and assistance for victims and their families. For victims of family violence, The Family Place is the Dallas area’s leading organization delivering proven programs that address emotional and physical abuse and incest. The Family Place provides free, comprehensive services that prevent violence and fully support women, children and men on their path from fear to safety.

For the past 21 years, Jerry Jones and his family have owned and operated the Dallas Cowboys with a management style that places just as much emphasis on community leadership as it does on the goal of winning the Super Bowl. The dominant theme which underscores the Cowboys role in the community is to maximize the visibility, energy and celebrity of the world’s most recognizable sports franchise and use those dynamic forces as a powerful means to helping others. The results on the field have brought championships to Dallas. The results away from the field have touched the lives of thousands.

For more information about the Dallas Cowboys community outreach initiatives, please contact the Dallas Cowboys Community Relations Department at (972) 556-9959 or visit “Community” at Dallas Cowboys - Home.

:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:EXCELLENT WORK!!! :bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

I noticed a lack of Busa's in the pics...:rulez:

"My Busa and I accept this award...":laugh:

Dude, I had major tunnel vision. The entire cheerleading squad could have run by naked and I wouldn't have noticed!

ps...Nice work..Not many care anymore...:thumbsup:

I think you would have noticed some :whistle:running by you, least I hope so ...

Can you help me with the speeding ticket I got last Friday ?

Last edited:
Thanks for stepping up to the plate and making a difference... I recall you mentioning this about a month ago.. did not know they were going to torture you for it.. :laugh:

Lots of respect for a guy with the conviction to make a change in someone elses lives other than just inflicting opinions..

Outspoken with action to boot :) :thumbsup:

Back