Any experience with one of these?

sleepless_red

The artist formerly known as "sleeper_red"
Donating Member
Registered
Who has flown one? I want to at least see them up close. I heard these guys have been flying these things for like 20-30 years. I saw them on TV one time and one of the fastest one can go over 240mph. I forgot the name. I think it's the High Speed Bandit. Pretty neat.

Last edited by a moderator:
Impressive, good landing:thumbsup::thumbsup:I want to give my Siamese kitten
a ride.

I have enough experience to know that they run in the several thousands and chances of someone with one letting anybody else fly it....Slim to none. I was looking at ducted fan rc models and while researching the cost I came across some of those jet engines. Try $3k or more per engine plus you still have thousands more to spend.

I have enough experience to know that they run in the several thousands and chances of someone with one letting anybody else fly it....Slim to none. I was looking at ducted fan rc models and while researching the cost I came across some of those jet engines. Try $3k or more per engine plus you still have thousands more to spend.

Beat me too it, trade the Busa and fly, fly ,fly :laugh:

Awesome machines:thumbsup:

Who has flown one? I want to at least see them up close. I heard these guys have been flying these things for like 20-30 years. I saw them on TV one time and one of the fastest one can go over 240mph. I forgot the name. I think it's the High Speed Bandit. Pretty neat.

Dude~! That is seriously bad azz! I wonder what kind of fuel that thing runs on?

I flew R/C (all props, never got into ducted fans) for about 6 years in my early teen through teen years. Very expensive hobby! One of the guys we flew with had a very very rich pop who got him a Viper (at the time a 200mph jet, said to be one of the fastest around) only to watch it destroyed as he came in for a high speed pass and clipped a fence about 150 yds out. He salvaged only a single servo out of the crash! I still have some video of me flying them on some old VHS tapes - really should get them transferred onto the computer and converted over to VCD or DVD. One of my favorites was one called the Hots - very small but nimble stunt plane - it could accelerate going vertical which is very rare (or was back then 20+yrs ago) in the R/C world.

Dude~! That is seriously bad azz! I wonder what kind of fuel that thing runs on?

Depends, if it's a ducted fan they run on a Nitromethane based fuel - anywhere from 20-30% nitro, if a true turbine it would run on something similar to kerosene I believe. The turbines have gotten very small and efficient. 20 years ago they were dinosaurs that were far underpowered compared to their ducted fan counterparts.

A little more info for you - http://www.hooked-on-rc-airplanes.com/rc-turbines.html
From the sounds of the F-16 in the video that's a real turbine. The ducted fans were much louder as I remember them. Engines spun around 30,000 rpm vs 17,000 for a high performance prop engine and about 13-14k for the average prop engine. I still have some of my old .45 engines laying in boxes....somewhere in the garage.

Last edited:
That is freakin awesome! Brings back a bad memory from last Christmas though. I bought my son a R/C helicopter. I flew it for him on the first flight so I could "show him how to fly it". I went up about 50 ft in the air then "mayday, mayday," straight to the ground in a million pieces!! I'm not sure what I did wrong, but the look on my son's face is something I'll never forget. :whistle:

That definitely sucked and was an expensive flight for one run! Done with the RC crap!

Depends, if it's a ducted fan they run on a Nitromethane based fuel - anywhere from 20-30% nitro, if a true turbine it would run on something similar to kerosene I believe. The turbines have gotten very small and efficient. 20 years ago they were dinosaurs that were far underpowered compared to their ducted fan counterparts.

Very cool. Thanks for the answer.

From the size of it looks like a Yellow Aircraft model but not 100% sure. They make some pretty awesome stuff.
Linky:Yellow Aircraft: Jet Models

I saw a guy on youtube wreck a 8 engine B52 RC jet. Thing looked like a real jet down to the smoke and fire. So lets see $3k per engine times 8 equals a change of underwear!:laugh:
Linky:
- RC B52 bomber crash[/url]

Back