Is this retarded or am I???

kjcili

Donating Member
Registered
So i moved to Illinois earlier this year and meant to post this but forgot till i was looking over some papers.
So I went to S.O.S. to get an IL cycle endorsement and this question caused a serious argument with me and the ppl behind the counter, it read:

You are riding with a pack of other motorcyclists and YOU are the leader. There is a slow moving vehicle in front of you, your traveling on a 2 lane (1 going, 1 oncoming) highway and you are in a passing zone. You pass the slower vehicle and the other riders do as well, as you recover the driving lane, which part of the lane do you take;
A) left of center
B) center
C) right of center

I've asked many riders this question and so far every1 I'VE rode with answered the same way I did.
Tell me you answer and I will post the "ILLINOIS" answser in a day or so.

I take =C, that way another biker has the other side of the lane to use if need be, but I bet they say A

Big time C

I was in a group a while back when this happened and the rider in front of me took left of center and also slowed down after passing the car. I had no where to go I had to pass him as well.

Speed up and move over to C.
Once regrouped reorganize if needed but you gotta give the guy behind space to get in as well.
I'm sure the answer is the 'wrong' one to us though, prolly A.

I take A but I keep on the thottle until I see all bikes have passed. Also I wait until all my group can pass. I adjust this depending on the riders I have in tow and their skill levels.

Also, keep in mind, when the STATE is posing this question, they are "ASSUMING" that we'll pass diligently without BREAKING the posted speeds. Which WE as ACTUAL riders know that is not feasible in reality.

How can ALL the bikes pass the slower vehicle if you're clogging up l.o.c.?

You’re not clogging up the lane. You pass, then move ahead in that lane so the bikes behind the slow vehicle can see you are still in that lane and far enough ahead.

You don't all jump out as one and jump back in front do you?

if you passed and got in the other lane (far right or “C”) yes others could get in proper formation, but they could not see that you had "safely passed and was advancing forward" When you stay in the far left "A" everyone can see you have passed and are "safe" after the last bike passes, then everyone gets back in proper formation.

Last edited:
A, left of center. You are not clogging it if you are continuing to accelerate to give the rest of you group room to get in front of the car they are passing.

A, left of center. You are not clogging it if you are continuing to accelerate to give the rest of you group room to get in front of the car they are passing.

True, but you said it "continuing to accelerate", so by that you mean to "SPEED"; correct!?!

True, but you said it "continuing to accelerate", so by that you mean to "SPEED"; correct!?!

Not necessarly, it would be relative to the speed of the car I am passing. You mentioned it was a slower vehicle so that would imply it is going siginficantly slower than the posted speed limit. Otherwise why risk passing on a 2 lane road?

You’re not clogging up the lane. You pass, then move ahead in that lane so the bikes behind the slow vehicle can see you are still in that lane and far enough ahead.

You don't all jump out as one and jump back in front do you?

if you passed and got in the other lane (far right or “Câ€￾) yes others could get in proper formation, but they could not see that you had "safely passed and was advancing forward" When you stay in the far left "A" everyone can see you have passed and are "safe" after the last bike passes, then everyone gets back in proper formation.

Very well thought out answer! NO, it is IMPOSSIBLE for us all to jump out as one, BUT, and here comes the argument, as I, the lead bike begins the pass, the others will fall in suit right behind me, and if I track l.o.c., i've given the guy directly behind no feasible place to enter; whereas, if I go r.o.c., the guy trailing me will invariably see i've cleared my pass and have taken a place in line. The reason I argued about this with the state is because i've actually had this question in another state with a completely different answer; AND, i've been in a position where the lead guy took l.o.c. and almost got all of us killed.

No, if you are passing a "slower vehicle" like it said, you can safely go the speed limit and get far enough ahead for all other bikes to pass at the same speed.

Wait...you argued the point with someone at their DMV? :rofl:

Um...I'm thinking it'd be (if posed here in Cali) left of center. None of the other riders should pass the slow moving vehicle until they can regain their place in the staggered formation... Indeed, until there is enough room between the lead bike and the vehicle being overtaken, they should stay behind the SMV but take the #1 position, left of center.

Ergo: Rider #2 should not pass the SMV until he could take right-of-center, his rightful place in (Cali's) riding rules of the road.

But that's here. :whistle:

Not necessarly, it would be relative to the speed of the car I am passing. You mentioned it was a slower vehicle so that would imply it is going siginficantly slower than the posted speed limit. Otherwise why risk passing on a 2 lane road?

And yet the other problem with the question, are we in a 47 going 55, a 45 doing 32, no-one knows! So yet a difficult decision that there actually isn't a 100% correct answer for UNLESS all factors of the equation can be introduced and considered.

Back