Remodel 09...

Mr Bogus

Trouble Makers Inc.
Donating Member
Registered
well phase 1 is almost done.. the foyer...

is 70sq ft of oddball shaped flooring nightmare... Not sure who drew this mess of a floor plan but cutting the flooring was a job..

Still have about 6 tiles to cut but the lions share is done.... Wood molding is just layed in so we could get paint colors picked out (grout work not done yet)..

The natural stone looks great but is a lot touchier to work with than porcelain or ceramic.. I think cost and work is worth the look however.. We did keep in pretty neutral in color for the resale value.. This has been pretty fun actually

Photo0232.jpg

Photo0233.jpg

Photo0234.jpg

:thumbsup:

Looks good. This is the year I will be tackling some of these jobs. So please take good notes and pass them on :laugh:

Im gonna have to do my floors pretty soon, wanna come help. :whistle:

:thumbsup:

Looks good. This is the year I will be tackling some of these jobs. So please take good notes and pass them on :laugh:
Natural stone is a real madre to start out with (soft, fractures etc)..

Main thing is to lay out your floor before cutting or laying any tiles.. This floor only uses a 1/16" grout line so level floor and accurate cuts are pretty important..

Physically lay out the floor before committing to any mortar :) (just treat it like thin glass, any loading of the tiles can break them)..

I am going to use the same marble on the fireplace (fire brick is going bye bye)

There are some good "DIY" videos on youtube and a few websites with good info, (I will find the ones used)..

Oh the other big deal? tile saw.. DO NOT buy some $80 unit for big tiles, it wont work..
I found a QEP 24" bridge saw (almost new) for $150 on craigs list that when done, I will sell for the same $150. Rental places want $75 a day for a good wet saw (ouch) so, I just invested for short term..

qep-83200.jpg

Randy,

I recently bought 2 condo buildings that will need new hard woods, as well as tile foyers and kitchens,, feel like making a road tirp?

Also needs sheet rock in 2/3 of them as well as putting in tray celings in the master beds.

Natural stone is a real madre to start out with (soft, fractures etc)..

Main thing is to lay out your floor before cutting or laying any tiles.. This floor only uses a 1/16" grout line so level floor and accurate cuts are pretty important..

Physically lay out the floor before committing to any mortar :) (just treat it like thin glass, any loading of the tiles can break them)..

I am going to use the same marble on the fireplace (fire brick is going bye bye)

There are some good "DIY" videos on youtube and a few websites with good info, (I will find the ones used)..

Oh the other big deal? tile saw.. DO NOT buy some $80 unit for big tiles, it wont work..
I found a QEP 24" bridge saw (almost new) for $150 on craigs list that when done, I will sell for the same $150. Rental places want $75 a day for a good wet saw (ouch) so, I just invested for short term..

qep-83200.jpg

Found that out also about the wet saw rental. I wound up using my Rotozip with their diamond tile blade - cut through our tile like butter!

Randy, thats dead on, perfect! Great tips too,that saw makes it day & night over a hobby saw. Those veins can be a real beach, like making a door jam cut and lifting it off the tray only to find it cracked on the second cut:banghead::cursin: I'm sure the grout will only make it look better:thumbsup: I've seen your other tile work- you'er a natural tile setter:thumbsup:

When you are done, you had better be able to slide a nickel across the top, otherwise tear it out and start over.....

Randy,

I recently bought 2 condo buildings that will need new hard woods, as well as tile foyers and kitchens,, feel like making a road tirp?

Also needs sheet rock in 2/3 of them as well as putting in tray celings in the master beds.
not a chance... :laugh: I am way too slow to do this for anyone but the most patient... A good tile setter could do this job in probably 10-15 hours.. it took me closer to 25.. Sheet rock? is that something you find in a field? :laugh: PLEASE do not say "tray ceiling" any where near Karen... I really do not want to learn any part of that job...

When you are done, you had better be able to slide a nickel across the top, otherwise tear it out and start over.....
?? I do have a couple perimeter tiles that are a bit high (concrete problem) but they are fully supported (no air)

Randy, thats dead on, perfect! Great tips too,that saw makes it day & night over a hobby saw. Those veins can be a real beach, like making a door jam cut and lifting it off the tray only to find it cracked on the second cut:banghead::cursin: I'm sure the grout will only make it look better:thumbsup: I've seen your other tile work- you'er a natural tile setter:thumbsup:
I must be out of my mind... last years kitchen and front porch worked out just fine.. I would give this one a 7 out of 10 but I doubt anyone will spot the -3 issues other than someone that knows what they are looking at.. :whistle:

tomorrow... grout..

Last edited:
You have more patience for this stuff than I do.. My jobs turn out nice but go very ssssllllllooooowwwww.. I'd rather find a good pro and pay for the peace of mind. :beerchug:

Very nice, Just remodeled the interior of a Fleetwood '87 motorhome, feel
your pain.

Back