Where is Ronald Reagan when we need him (famous quotes)

skydivr

Jumps from perfectly good Airplanes
Donating Member
Should be required reading:

"Here's my strategy on the Cold War: We win, they lose."
- Ronald Reagan

"The most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help."
- Ronald Reagan

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant: It's just that they know so much that isn't so."
- Ronald Reagan

"Of the four wars in my lifetime, none came about because the U.S. was too strong."
- Ronald Reagan

"I have wondered at times about what the Ten Commandment's would have looked like if Moses had run them through the U.S. Congress."
- Ronald Reagan

"The taxpayer: That's someone who works for the federal government but doesn't have to take the civil service examination."
- Ronald Reagan

"Government is like a baby: An alimentary canal with a big appetite at one end and no sense of responsibility at the other."
- Ronald Reagan

"If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under."
- Ronald Reagan

"The nearest thing to eternal life we will ever see on this earth is a government program."
- Ronald Reagan

"I've laid down the law, though, to everyone from now on about anything that happens: no matter what time it is, wake me, even if it's in the middle of a Cabinet meeting."
- Ronald Reagan

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first."
- Ronald Reagan

"Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it."
- Ronald Reagan

"Politics is not a bad profession. If you succeed there are many rewards, if you disgrace yourself you can always write a book."
- Ronald Reagan

"No arsenal, or no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women.
- Ronald Reagan

I loved the one about the Ten Commandments and Congress :laugh: So frickin' true!!

No offense but this has always been my favorite.
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem."
Ronald Reagan

Great post!

Lurch- he must have said 'Marines' by mistake.. he really meant 'Army' :poke::poke:

:thumbsup::beerchug:

he truly undrestood what made america great

"America represents something universal in the human spirit. I received a letter not long ago from a man who said, 'You can go to Japan to live, but you cannot become Japanese. You can go to France to live and not become a Frenchman. You can go to live in Germany or Turkey, and you won't become a German or a Turk.' But then he added, 'Anybody from any corner of the world can come to America to live and become an American." President Ronald Reagan, Nov.7,1988

Two of my favorites:
"Surround yourself with the best people you can find, delegate authority, and don't interfere."

"If we love our country, we should also love our countrymen."

I think Reagan was an excellent president. As I grew older I realized he was the last president who actually seemed to care about the average working man/woman, and although I don't agree with all his policies, (trickle down economics.....what trickled down wasn't money...) I think he belived that it would make the average person's life better. Todays Republican party need to go back and study his way of doing things......

Ya that is just what we need. I thought many of you were against redistribution of wealth and higher taxes?

Reagan's Tax Reform Act of 1986 and its impact on the Alternative Minimum Tax (AMT). The tax reform was ostensibly to reduce or eliminate tax deductions. This legislation expanded the AMT from a law for untaxed rich investors to one refocused on middle class Americans who had children, owned a home, or lived in high tax states. This parallel tax system hits middle class Americans the hardest by reducing their deductions and effectively raising their taxes. Meanwhile, the highest income earners (with incomes exceeding $1,000,000) are proportionately less affected thereby shifting the tax burden away from the richest 0.5%. In 2006, the IRS's National Taxpayer Advocate's report highlighted the AMT as the single most serious problem with the tax code.

So the wealthy got more while the middle class got less (Redistribution of wealth).

Thanks's Ron.

Lets also not forget his stellar record on Civil Rights:

- He was opposed to the landmark Civil Rights Act of 1964, which was the same year that Goodman, Schwerner and Chaney were slaughtered. As president, he actually tried to weaken the Voting Rights Act of 1965.

- He opposed a national holiday for the Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., giving in only when Congress passed a law creating the holiday by a veto-proof majority

- He tried to get rid of the federal ban on tax exemptions for private schools that practiced racial discrimination.

- In 1988, he vetoed a bill to expand the reach of federal civil rights legislation. Congress overrode the veto.

- Reagan also vetoed the imposition of sanctions on the apartheid regime in South Africa. Congress overrode that veto, too.

- When he went on about the welfare queen driving her Cadillac, and kept repeating the story years after it had been debunked, some people thought he was engaging in race-baiting.

- In 1976, he talked about working people angry about the “strapping young buck” using food stamps to buy T-bone steaks at the grocery store, he didn’t mean to play into racial hostility. True, as The New York Times reported, the ex-Governor has used the grocery-line illustration before, but in states like New Hampshire where there is scant black population, he has never used the expression “young buck,” which, to whites in the South, generally denotes a large black man.

- Reagan declared in 1980 that the Voting Rights Act had been “humiliating to the South”

- In 1982, when Reagan intervened on the side of Bob Jones University, which was on the verge of losing its tax-exempt status because of its ban on interracial dating

Thanks again Ron.

Of course his rhetoric did make you feel good while he was giving it to you in the :moon: ...

Black America Today / EARL OFARI HUTCHINSON: The racial paradox of the Reagan presidency

Many, if not most of your issues are misleading. Voting against a particular bill does not mean that you hate blacks or are against equal treatment. Instead, if you dig a bit deeper you will find that Reagan was against affirmative action, a biased system and was very much in favor of states rights, a prominent aspect of the Constitution. The implication that Reagan supported segregation is quite incorrect.

Ya that is just what we need. I thought many of you were against redistribution of wealth and higher taxes?

Reagan's Tax Reform Act of 1986 and its impact on the Alternative Minimum Tax (AMT). The tax reform was ostensibly to reduce or eliminate tax deductions. This legislation expanded the AMT from a law for untaxed rich investors to one refocused on middle class Americans who had children, owned a home, or lived in high tax states. This parallel tax system hits middle class Americans the hardest by reducing their deductions and effectively raising their taxes. Meanwhile, the highest income earners (with incomes exceeding $1,000,000) are proportionately less affected thereby shifting the tax burden away from the richest 0.5%. In 2006, the IRS's National Taxpayer Advocate's report highlighted the AMT as the single most serious problem with the tax code.

So the wealthy got more while the middle class got less (Redistribution of wealth).

Thanks's Ron.

Lets also not forget his stellar record on Civil Rights:

- He was opposed to the landmark Civil Rights Act of 1964, which was the same year that Goodman, Schwerner and Chaney were slaughtered. As president, he actually tried to weaken the Voting Rights Act of 1965.

- He opposed a national holiday for the Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., giving in only when Congress passed a law creating the holiday by a veto-proof majority

- He tried to get rid of the federal ban on tax exemptions for private schools that practiced racial discrimination.

- In 1988, he vetoed a bill to expand the reach of federal civil rights legislation. Congress overrode the veto.

- Reagan also vetoed the imposition of sanctions on the apartheid regime in South Africa. Congress overrode that veto, too.

- When he went on about the welfare queen driving her Cadillac, and kept repeating the story years after it had been debunked, some people thought he was engaging in race-baiting.

- In 1976, he talked about working people angry about the “strapping young buck” using food stamps to buy T-bone steaks at the grocery store, he didn’t mean to play into racial hostility. True, as The New York Times reported, the ex-Governor has used the grocery-line illustration before, but in states like New Hampshire where there is scant black population, he has never used the expression “young buck,” which, to whites in the South, generally denotes a large black man.

- Reagan declared in 1980 that the Voting Rights Act had been “humiliating to the South”

- In 1982, when Reagan intervened on the side of Bob Jones University, which was on the verge of losing its tax-exempt status because of its ban on interracial dating

Thanks again Ron.

Of course his rhetoric did make you feel good while he was giving it to you in the :moon: ...

Reagan turned our economy around PERIOD. Obama is taking pride in slowing the increase in unemployment (i.e. we're going down the crapper, it's just that now we're going slower) I'd like to see you deny that. And you also need to re-check your definition of "redistribution of wealth." Oh, and way to play the race card too... Classy.

Reagan turned our economy around PERIOD. Obama is taking pride in slowing the increase in unemployment (i.e. we're going down the crapper, it's just that now we're going slower) I'd like to see you deny that. And you also need to re-check your definition of "redistribution of wealth." Oh, and way to play the race card too... Classy.

In economics, redistribution is the transfer of income, wealth or property from some individuals to others. Most often it refers to progressive redistribution, from the rich to the poor, although it may also refer to regressive redistribution, from the poor to the rich.

I see nothing wrong with slowing the rate of unemployment, nor do I see anything wrong with taking credit for it. I am very happy the rate of unemployment is slowing and hopefully it will come to a halt.

Civil rights are a huge part of what makes our country great and anyone who would limit them is not someone I would want to see in office.

Back