Medical Advise

DEMMYM

Donating Member
Registered
Im one of those guys that never goes to the Doctor unless someone tells me hell yes you need to get that stiched up.

A couple weeks ago I got sick, Usual Congestion / Achey feeling / Cough, Well I got over it all except the cough, The cough continued and was pretty deep, One day when I coughed my side hurt and from then on every time I coughed it hurt, Someone told me I probably cracked a rib with all the coughing, Well the cough is gone and the side is feeling much better, However this morning I sneezed and it took me to me knees my side hurt so bad.

My question is, If indeed it is a cracked rib is this something that will heal itself or do I need to go to the doctor so they can just wrap me up and tell me to rest. ???

I am not a doc... I have heard cracked ribs heel on there own. Just got to take it easy for a awhile...4 to 6 weeks.

How do you know it is just a cracked rib, could be something else. GO to the doctor!

Go to the Doctor! It might be that you only strained the muscles and connective tissue between the ribs, but you should get it checked out.
Posted via Mobile Device

Sounds like a cracked rib. I've done it three times ( dirt bike, water skiing, and surfing ). It took about 6 to 8 weeks before I was pain free. If you have insurance, or can afford it, have it checked out.

Last edited:
If it is a cracked rib, there really is nothing they can do. Think about it, your ribs move every time you move ait in and out, cant put a cast on that.

Chances are it is a cracked rib, but I am not a Dr nor did I bring my X Ray internext connection with me today. What the Dr is going to do, first listen to your lungs, to make sure there is no fluid in there. Next you will get some x-rays taken, then if it is a cracked rib, your going to get some pain meds and a bill. If its a pulled muscles your going to get some muscle relaxers and a bill.

If you not showing sings of anyhting else worng it will stop there. The Dr is not going to do a 35,000 dollar work up on rib pain with a cough history.

I hate the doctors! But i went when i had a couple cracked ribs. I thought i was gonna die with pain when i sneezed!
No they dont do anything for a cracked rib, but an exray will reveal if you are gonna punchure a lung!
Now i go to the Doctor once a year whether i need to or not just to reinforce how much I hate them! :poke:

I doubt that coughing is going to break any ribs. Pulled some muscles and/or connective tissue probably, which will hurt like h*** for quite a while.
I got thrown over the front of the dirt bike last spring (fast forward 15 ft., down 8-10 ft., full frontal onto the rocks and roots), same situation. No deep breaths at all, a cough will make you pee your pants, a sneeze will make you faint. Took a month or so but it passed.
If the cough persists I'd say go to the doc. But if pain is getting better, there's nothing the doc will do but charge you a fee and shift the pain to an anterior orfice of your body.:laugh:

come on over we can take apart one of my microwaves and aim it at you and take a looksy...:laugh:

GO TO THE DOCTOR!!! from a F/F EMT

If ya aint got insurance speak a foreign language and it's free.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Ive got the insurance, Just dont like going to the Doc for something thats going to fix itself anyway.

Get it checked out. For peace of mind and your health. A walk in clinic can do an x-ray.

I am not a doc... I have heard cracked ribs heel on there own. Just got to take it easy for a awhile...4 to 6 weeks.

4-6 weeks my A$$! I broke five a year and a half ago, And i still cant sleep on my side. but then mine was a little more in tence than snizze. I cut a 4x4 in half with my rib cage:banghead:

Back