Are 3D movies blurry?

Vonderbach

Your AD here!
Donating Member
Registered
For a while now I have been silently critical of 3D movies. I feel that 3D is a cheap gimmick that sacrifices picture quality for a minor thrill. But the more I hear about 3D and the revolution in cinema, the more I wonder if perhaps I have a vision problem. You see, 3D appears blurry to me. I have to constantly re-focus my eyes to see the image properly, and even then they are not sharp and the color is extremely poor. I feel as if my vision is slightly out of alignment.

Does anyone else have this problem?

You gotta put the glasses on....:thumbsup:

Last edited:
That goes back to 1953, didn't catch on, public didn't care for colored specs. But
remember them being clear. Haven't tried the nu version. Without the glasses
you saw double

Haha, thanks for the laugh guys. :laugh:

No, I'm talking about with the glasses on. ??? Still blurry.

the new ones use alternately polarized specs, one polarized horizontally, one vertically. the glasses aren't colored anymore. now IMAX, that's a whole different ballgame.

I took my son to see "Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs" and it was awesome. Didnt even know it was going to be in 3D. Clear as a regular movie with the polarized glasses on.

I doubt the glasses they hand out in the theater have outstanding optical quality.

I doubt the glasses they hand out in the theater have outstanding optical quality.

LOL, they arent bad if you clean them first. Wonder if my Oakleys could be used, they are polarized.

Polarized sunglasses do not work. It's totally different. Modern 3D is fantastic and I hope all movies come out using it in the near future. There can be SOME minor ghosting with IMAX dual projectors, and maybe a very little bit with polarized but it is very slight and doesn't ruin the movie. Some rare people can get headaches from the way 3D is projected.

Old RED/BLUE 3D was always subject to blurring and ghosting. This new way is way better and worth seeing.

go watch my bloody valentine 3d on blu ray :thumbsup: the few 3d movies that u have gotten on blu ray all seem to have minor ghosting

LOL, they arent bad if you clean them first. Wonder if my Oakleys could be used, they are polarized.

nope, both lenses are polarized the same direction. in the theater glasses, one is up/down, one is left/right.

ya i just avatar in 3d last night...probaly best movie ive ever seen :bowdown:

I just saw this review (SPOILER) below, seems you are not the only one that liked it. END JACK

Movie: Avatar — Director: James Cameron

By Nabila Khouri

Tuesday, December 22, 2009

The story of Avatar begins with an ex-marine Jake Sully, who is given a once in a lifetime opportunity to travel to a distant planet called Pandora, in hopes of carrying out his deceased twin brother's military mission. Paralysed from the waist down, Sully is determined to fulfil the task of deceitfully befriending the indigenous people or Na'vi in hopes of gaining secret and useful information.

Through the physical bodies or Avatars the human scientists have created, Sully, as well as his military and scientist colleagues are able to enter the realistic world that is Pandora without ever leaving the confines of their military base camp. Built from the grafting of genetic and molecular structures of the Na'vi and humans, these Avatars are able to breathe the toxic air on Pandora, communicate effectively, move as efficiently as the natives, as well as transmit informtion to the humans.

On his first expedition outside of the base-camp in his Avatar, Jake finds himself lost and completely bewildered by the world he has been thrust into.

The avatar of Jake Sully (left) with Neytiri.

In a moment of danger he receives help from one of the Na'vi women called Neytiri, who relentlessly and resentfully is forced into teaching the ignorant human the spiritual and melodic ways of her people. Jake is quickly entranced and inspired by the Na'vi and the way they choose to live their life in gratitude towards their god and all she provides to them.

He slowly begins to lose sight of his initial mission and task and he becomes entranced by their passion, faith, belief and sheer determination to live their lives in a humbling and gratifying manner. He begins to finally understand the beauty of their world just in time to realise his own race is destroying it.

Disregarding the Na'vi and their home, the humans begin to attack and threaten the lives of all the indigenous people, for their own greed and cruel intensions. Destroying their home, habitat and trying to conquer their faith and beliefs. The Na'vi, however, stood strong against the technology and power the humans have, using their skills, and knowledge of their homeland to overcome the evil that has engulfed their beautiful and entirely unique planet.

The director of the film, James Cameron delivers an outstanding and unbelievably powerful message. I lament not many in the theatre could comprehend the issues brought up in the movie. The Avatar is a clear representation of what we as a civil race used to be and what we have unfortunately become. Our desire to possess wealth, power and materialistic items, has driven us to truly forget the principles we were once so intent on living by. Passion, love, innocence, pride, faith and will are all themes Cameron has lucidly conveyed through the Na'vi and their pure way of life.

As Jake Sully journeys through the life of Neytiri and her people, he soon starts to realise what we all lack and how greedy and ungrateful humans have become.

I sat astonished in the theatre at how powerful and what a remarkable experience this movie was. I thought about how unfortunate that so many did not share my enthusiasm or passion for such a captivating story. The movie will open the eyes and inspire anyone who is open and completely drawn in by its message and encourage all to gain as much as possible from its teachings.

The Na'vi, after all, are inspired and stemmed from our earth's own indigenous and native people. The very people we all originate from.

Cameron through this extraordinary work of phenomenal graphics, intense music and an amazing cast is able to ignite our memories allowing us if we let him, to realise what we have forgotten for thousands of years. How to love, appreciate, worship, remember, praise and justify what we are truly meant to fight for in this short life.

As a TEENager, I only hope that we can learn how we should live our lives through this movie and how to mould our passion around the important and real things in this lifetime. And with this sacred knowledge, we can learn and benefit in more ways that this generation has. As a TEENager in Jamaica, this movie epitomises what we should all strive to be and live for and how we as a nation have lost the vision towards a fulfilling and humble life.

The Earth is what we chose to make it and Avatar portrays this message through every moment of magic this movie delivers. It is a movie that simply cannot be missed or ignored for all that it represents and what it enlightens. By far the best of the year, Avatar earns its place in history along with its outstanding writer and director James Cameron.

TEENage: 5 out of 5

For a while now I have been silently critical of 3D movies. I feel that 3D is a cheap gimmick that sacrifices picture quality for a minor thrill. But the more I hear about 3D and the revolution in cinema, the more I wonder if perhaps I have a vision problem. You see, 3D appears blurry to me. I have to constantly re-focus my eyes to see the image properly, and even then they are not sharp and the color is extremely poor. I feel as if my vision is slightly out of alignment.

Does anyone else have this problem?

You are not alone. I just saw AVATAR, the first movie I've seen with the newer 3D technology, and was sorely disappointed. Yes, I wore my 3D glasses, I even took them off to see if it was any more/less blurry without them. It was more blurry without the glasses in case you are wondering. I did a little searching and from what I can tell it stems from the same problem that causes poor depth perception.

Did you notice white flickering light around moving images, like a really poor quality film, that has a low frame rate? I tried describing this to my husband but to no avail. He doesn't have the vision problem and thought I was crazy or needed corrective lenses though I don't wear glasses and have better vision than him even when he is wearing contacts.

I just wish I new how to fix the problem, but this was the only post I came across where someone even had the same problem, and no one else seems to be able to relate. Sorry I can't help, but know that you are not alone.

Saw Avatar in 3d on Christmas day, there were a few scenes with noticeable blurring, but I couldn't tell if it was intentional or just a side effect of the imaging in that scene. Either way it was a long step ahead of the standard hi-res. Shrek preview nearly made me toss cookies. :rofl:

3d movies are in a few different formats... RealD is the system used for "Avatar" and the glasses are different... I went and saw the movie and the 3d was exceptional.. there does appear to be a bit of "adjusting" your eyes need for a few minutes but by the time the trailers are over, your eyes are ready..

Check out the RealD site for more info on the system but is sure beats the crap out of the old polarized glasses thing... For the first time, it might make sense to invest in decent 3d glasses you keep...

I also own a "shuttered" 3d system at home.. it uses 2 independent images that are rotated and the glasses are computer controlled to sync the images... easily the best 3d but way impractical for an audience or even a family as the glasses are computer controlled and you have to be in sync with the monitor.. Sure makes for some intense FPS games... COD and MOH will get you motion sick after an hour :laugh:

Saw Avatar with my kids and loved it. It did take some time to get used tot he 3D, thought I might be getting motion sick however it went away and I was able to enjoy.

I've seen every kids' cartoon 3D movie in the last year (UP, Cloudy with a Chance..., Battle for Terra). All were amazing, especially UP. I have not seen Avatar, so I wonder if it's just that one movie?

The 3D movies give my youngest headaches and don't do me favors with migraines...

Back