scam???

TonyMastodon

Big Blue Burrito!
Registered
So as some of you know, i posted my bike in the Classifieds to sell my bike..
This is the first email i got:

In reference to your online placed ad, could you please let me know if this item is still up for sale. If it is, is the condition still as described in your ad?
Kindly include your bottom dollar and some pictures too. lease email me at your earliest convenience.

Thank you.
Forbes.

I replied saying the price is set, the bike is in the same condition as when i posted it.

This is the reply...
Hello Tony,

Thanks for your feedback. I'm glad to read from you. I am okay with the price of the bike and its condition as well. Kindly consider it sold.
However, I will be paying you with a cashier's check. If you can provide me with the name and address to send this to, I will issue it out as soon as possible.
As for the shipment, I will prefer to take care of that. I will hire a hauling company to come for the pick-up of the bike. I'm sure this will be okay with you.
Thanks very much. I will be waiting to read from you soon.

Best Regards,
Forbes.

Do you think this is a scam????

Make sure the buyer understands the check has to be cleared by the bank first. If he is honest he neeeds assurances too.

Last edited:
He will send you a check for more than your selling price, then ask you to send the difference to the hauling company, via western union. This is a classic scam. DO NOT believe it.

Make sure the buyer understands the check has to be cleared by the bank first. If he is honest he neeeds assurances too.
It won't clear. It's bogus. The guy is in Nigeria, I will bet money on that. Notice the not-quite-right english. He will want the bike shipped overseas.

ahhh good to know... im going to start messing with him now :p

That's what I did, after I reported it to the FBI. He was soooo sad when he sent the check and I deposited it, but neglected to send 3k of it to his shipper via western union. Told him IF his check cleared he could call the police in Nigeria about getting his money or the bike.....it didn't clear.
Google Nigerian scams and see if anything looks familiar!

Keep in mind that just because a check appears to have "cleared" and the money has been credited to an account, if there's a problem the bank will debit the account as far out as a couple of weeks after the deposit.

Tell him to wire the money to the shipping service he is going to use and have them show up with cash when they come to crate it up.

Yes be very careful of the checks deposited in the bank, my wife made a mistake about 3-4 years ago with one of those work at home things, she was doing it for some extra money, she talked to people on the phone and everything they sent here a check for working and setting up her work at home office, she got screwed out of $5000, yep we had to pay it all back, sucked bad so watch the scams and learn from the people that have been scammed

It's a scam plain and simple be careful sometimes they are not looking for money they are looking for an identity

How does the broken english depict where the guy is from other than just that he/she is or appear to be foreign?

How does the broken english depict where the guy is from other than just that he/she is or appear to be foreign?

well when was the last time a broken english writing person from overseas shopped for a vehicle in the states. Here's your Sign :poke:

EVERY time we post an add on Craigs List for something we get an E mail that usually starts out something like...

"I am writing for to make benefit for you by purchasing the item..." :poke:

SCAM!!!!!! That's why we only deal with people that leave a call back number. Unless they are just asking questions of course.

EVERY time we post an add on Craigs List for something we get an E mail that usually starts out something like...

"I am writing for to make benefit for you by purchasing the item..." :poke:

SCAM!!!!!! That's why we only deal with people that leave a call back number. Unless they are just asking questions of course.

I think They have an auto send system. Everyone I know gets this Email.

Just best to report it and act like it never happend. If you must mess with him carful what you write. Lawenforcement will tell you witten things have a habit of comming back to haunt you.

I think They have an auto send system. Everyone I know gets this Email.

Just best to report it and act like it never happend. If you must mess with him carful what you write. Lawenforcement will tell you witten things have a habit of comming back to haunt you.

We don't even waste our time by responding.

Some of these guys are in Eastern Europe too and not just Nigeria. You may be best off ignoring the emails as they will soon cease. These guys play the numbers and stay very busy hitting ads all day if they catch a hit off one in fifty or a hundred, they would be lucky. If you simply don't respond you may get one or two more but they will stop soon enough.

thisguyseemslegit.jpg

Back