St Augustine Florida

slash

Registered
anyone from there? we are talking about possibly re-locating there...

any tips on the area?

I was there a couple yrs back on vacation

Nice little area. As I recall it rained for about an hour everyday I was there and then got really humid.

I was there a couple yrs back on vacation

Nice little area. As I recall it rained for about an hour everyday I was there and then got really humid.

That's florida...heck it's raining now, rained all day (Sunshine state my :moon:)
Rainforest state...

St. Augustine however is one of my favorite sites in the state. Oldest town
with a lot of character and neat things, especially the fort. (Love the fort)
Castillo de San Marcos National Monument (U.S. National Park Service)

Not to far from daytona (bike week)...45 minuites maybe.

I have a house about 7 miles north of St. Augustine, in South Ponte Vedra Beach, Fla.
St. Augustine is a great town, and the oldest city in the country. Lots of things to do, lots of restaurants, and 3 nice seasons. Not TOO hot in the summer, lengthy fall that shifts right into spring... no snow, no winter, and great biking roads. A1A is an awesome ride from St. Augustine heading south.
Also, there are a ton of cool places within easy driving distance... Disney, the Drag Racing Museum in Ocala, Daytona, (if bike week and/or clubs are your thing), and also the Daytona Speedway is right there.
Bang for the buck, its a REAL nice place to live. Houses can be bought relatively inexpensively (at least at the time of this writing).

I love my place in Manhattan as well, but Im not gonna shed a tear selling it and moving outta here... if I never see another snowflake in my life, Ill be a happy man.

:beerchug:

Nice place lived there for a very short spell working at Northrup back in the day...

Keep in mind that old St Augustine is nice, but the strip (A1A) can be pretty nasty in some spots, especially down in the lighthouse area. It's pretty commercial, but what do you expect?

If I had a choice, I would go a bit North or South to avoid the tourist activity. But that's just me.

Keep in mind that old St Augustine is nice, but the strip (A1A) can be pretty nasty in some spots, especially down in the lighthouse area.
That area is just for passin' thru while southbound...

:laugh:

Technically, that IS St. Augustine, but that part of Anastasia Island is kind of its own thing.
On A1A, once past that point (around the Alligator Farm) it just gets nicer and nicer heading south.
Daytona itself, though?? A little too tourist-y and pink Flamingo-y for me.

:cheerleader:

You'd be a lucky man to relocate there. My wife and I would love to settle down in that area. We got married there in '06. Just need to find a pilot job there that would be stable and supportive enough to do it!

You'd be a lucky man to relocate there. My wife and I would love to settle down in that area. We got married there in '06. Just need to find a pilot job there that would be stable and supportive enough to do it!
When you say "pilot" job, do you mean an airplane pilot? I ask because I've heard that St. Augustine Airport is expanding its range of flights to more destinations.
Im sure there would be some business at that airport for private pilots chartering small planes for customers in need of such a service. Both prop and small jets fly out of there, and its in a great location, just north of St. Augustine on US1.

BTW, Jacksonville Int'l Airport is not TOO far up the road... about 45 minutes from my house, so it would be no more than an hour from St. Augustine. All easy roads too... from St. Augustine, RT16 to 95, and then straight up 95 to the airport.

Yea, the jobs that you can count on are hard to come by, believe me, I know. I'm still working on getting my hours and experience up for a decent paying job flying a corporate jet. You have to meet the minimum insurance requirements to get into anything like that. I'll certainly keep my ear to the ground though...dunno how much I'll be able to hear from Ft. Lauderdale.

St. Augustine is the oldest city in America. Like the other posters said theres plenty to do. Witch walks every night in the town, weddings practically everyday at the fort. Georgous beach but there is high traffic on the months that tourists travel.

I agree go a little north or a little south you're within striking distance.:beerchug:

We live in St. Johns; north St. Johns County, less then 20min north from downtown St. Augustine itself. If you have kids this county is rated number 1 in the state and tops in the united states. As mentioned above from other post, great place to ride, Jacksonville is not far, Orlando and Daytona is around the corner as well. IF you like to drag race you have Gainsville Dragway home of the Gatornationals, then you have Orlando Speedworld and about 2hrs north you have South GA Motorsports Park, home of the AMA and SEMDRA, great track. Anyway; let us know if you come down.:beerchug:

Back