AR enthusiasts......What do you think of DPMS lowers?

redkat05

Dear spring....... HURRY!
Donating Member
Registered
I'm thinkin of starting with a stripped DPMS lower and then buyin a complete rifle kit from one of the suppliers in Shotgun News. It includes EVERYTHING less the stripped receiver. What are your opinions on DPMS?
Posted via Mobile Device

$189 for a DPMS stripped lower and $645 for the complete rifle kit from Model 1 Sales -
24" extra heavy fluted chrome moly barrel, 1-9 twist, 2 piece free float aluminum tube, flat top upper, chrome lined chamber & bore and all parts kit for receiver & grip.

I'll be changin out the grip to an ergo grip with adjustable palm rest and a mag-pul adjustable sniper stock possibly hydraulic but it looks like a good way to start
Posted via Mobile Device

I had a DPMS and it's pretty fair quality.

If you can swing a Rock River though...that's the shiz.
Been out of it for a while so I'm not sure where their prices are.

Darthsig.jpg

I live in a good part of the country for guns, Springfield Armory is about 30 minutes away, Rock River Arms is about 20 minutes away and yes I got a AR from them:thumbsup: Les Bauer is about 15 minutes from me, all are great and its nice going right to the source for guns:bowdown:

wow man, must be nice to live so close to em all!
Posted via Mobile Device

So far I have heard good things about Rock River. The guy that taught my CC class has one and he says he is very pleased with it. I went all out with my AR since it was my first and probably last. I ordered my upper and lower complete from dynamicarmament.com and a A.R.M.S 40L SP from I forgot where. Oh yeah! I went with the 10.5" barrel upper which I had to go with NFA docs and approval. It was worth the wait though. I have had not problems with it as I have heard of the horror stories with ARs having feed problems from being picky about the ammo it eats and needing frequent cleans.

u had to go through special paperwork just for a 10.5" barreled upper? What state do u live in?
Posted via Mobile Device

u had to go through special paperwork just for a 10.5" barreled upper? What state do u live in?
Posted via Mobile Device

All States, anything less than 16" is a NFA Short Barrel Rifle (SBR). Unless it is a Pistol Receiver with no stock. If the States allow SBRs, you must apply for a tax stamp prior to possession.

All States, anything less than 16" is a NFA Short Barrel Rifle (SBR). Unless it is a Pistol Receiver with no stock. If the States allow SBRs, you must apply for a tax stamp prior to possession.

That's rights! I went with the SBR not pistol. If you put a barrel shorter than 16" on a rifle with a stock on it with out having an approved letter with tax stamp attached from BATFE , you would be in violation of the NFA and if caught be subject to a 10 year club fed all expenses paid except for the huge fine that also may be attached.

The paper work is not so bad if you can get your Chief Law enforcement officer in your county or a comparable figure to sign off on duplicate copies of the Form 1 and the rest is easy except for the 5 month wait. Fortunately I live in a county where the sheriff is super cool. What baffles me is that Wake county, where the money is suppose to be and there are a few Class 3 dealers has a hard nose sheriff that will not sign off on a NFA form. The only other way an individual can get an SBR/SBS/Aow/WOD or FAuto(which would be cool but the cheapest civi legal runs $3.5K minimum) is to file estate which is quicker but varies by location because some state and counties wont allow ownership through that means either.

I was thinking about the build that the originator of this thread was talking about too! Be cautious about some of the build kits, because they may look alike but will not perform alike. Most of your more critical workings are in the upper assembly. The lower is most likely not as critical as for it is just a means to strike the firing pin aside from the safety which is pretty solid on all of them.

Last edited:
wow, well I probably won't ever go below a 16" barrel. I intend to one day have both a carbine upper and my main longer range upper, most likely a 24"
Posted via Mobile Device

Either way, only thing I can afford right now is the stripped lower. That is, unless I sell my Kimber Custom TLE II, and thats somethin I really don't wanna do
Posted via Mobile Device

wow, well I probably won't ever go below a 16" barrel. I intend to one day have both a carbine upper and my main longer range upper, most likely a 24"
Posted via Mobile Device

That was my thought...wish I had done vice versa on the calibers though...

425 yards! NICE!

Thanks, that was about all I could do consistantly with those particular rounds...at 500 yards they wanted to wonder a bit.

I PM'd "mr AR"...he used his to qualify for the sniper swat team and has a few "blasted" coins on his key ring from 100 yards out~!~

Quarter and Nickel blasted a hole...dime was too light to sit still

He can probably tell you a bit about the lowers you are referring to~!~

Last edited:
I tried searchin for him but its hard bein mobile & all. I think I may spring the extra $15 & get a Rock River Arms stripped lower for $199.
Posted via Mobile Device

I'm thinkin of starting with a stripped DPMS lower and then buyin a complete rifle kit from one of the suppliers in Shotgun News. It includes EVERYTHING less the stripped receiver. What are your opinions on DPMS?
Posted via Mobile Device

I have build about a dozen over the last year. I have build a bunch of different brands incuding dpms. They are all about the same. The one i like the most is Spikestacktical.com (http://www.spikestactical.com/z/ind...cPath=104_65&zenid=euc7v48602vm06n0jqvlgfee61) they have the stripped lowers on sale for 89.99 plus shipping to your ffl. Then i would go to http://blackthorneproducts.com/ and order your complete kit for just over 400 so you build the gun for around 550$. Smoken deal. 6months ago it was about 700+ to build. Good luck
pm me if you have any questions:thumbsup:

Last edited:
I bought two stripped Smith & Wesson lowers here locally for $225.00 each. Not bad for Cali.. I just spoke with him though and he raised the price to $250.00 now. Beautiful high quality lowers though..

Sorry Redkat, I don't have any experience with the DPMS, but sounds like a good lower reading some of these posts :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Back