interesting discussion from another board

sweet tea man

Registered
its a truck site and we have a member posting thier bikes type thread going. been going good now comes the whole support american spill.

Originally Posted by .......
Harleys are no better then Yamahas, Hondas, Suzukis, or Kawasakis. They don't run any worst or better. The only difference between them, is Harley owners are paying more for a Name, its like buying a Z71 over a 4X4, cost more money just so you can say I have a harley. I'm not saying Harleys are junk or a bad bike, but its not like your getting a better bike for the money. It's just a status thing.

then this reply came right after it

Paying more for a name? Yes they are expensive but they are American...you want to send your money to Japan? Go right ahead but I'm trying to keep as much money as I can in the country I live in and support... An American flag patch sewn on the back of a Chinese-made jacket worn by a man riding a Goldwing with a sticker that says support the troops just doesn't make sense to me....just my thoughts

to me, its kind of single sided thinking. so i simply replied with this:

My money stayed in america....bought it from original owner, he gave me title. So an american gained 8k. it didn't go overseas.

same as how dealerships do. they buy the bikes, we buy the bikes from them. our money keeps an american business running. how many americans are employed by the dealership? it all goes full circle man. yeah the initial part goes overseas, BUT, how many jobs has that OVERSEAS company given to AMERICAN workers here?

alot of the hardcore "buy american bike guys" are also the squids running with a half shell helmet and nothing else protecting them. freedom is what they say......i'd rather wear my gear made in china and not have roadrash or worse, and be able to walk away from a crash and still know im alive. also i supported a local company by purchasing from them.

i used to ride like that too, until one day i realized what would happen if i went down.

waiting on responses.

your thoughts?

Im with you, I bought my 07 Used so my money went to an American as well.

As for the Harley thing, I agree as well, Your paying for nothing more than a name.

his reply
Its just what it represents man...yall may be different but at the end of the day "I don't live in America, America lives in me."

my reply
huh? you lost me. how does it not represent anything but good that i paid an american for my bike? he got the cash. no one else. straight to his bank account.

how is it representing something bad when a "jap bike company" opens up and gives more americans jobs?

im honestly having a hard time wrapping my head around this. i understand the whole buy american thing. but if that company is over here on AMERICAN SOIL, giving AMERICANS JOBS, and SUPPORTING their local economy........then whats the big deal?

International Trade is an extremely complicated subject.
In short, if someone else wants to buy your goods and services, they have to use your money (gained from previously selling you something else) or use their money (on the basis you will but something else from them later on with that money)
It is way more in depth than one product.
As an example, our dollar (CDN) is rising in comparison to yours (USD).
That is great for me as I shop ebay etc. but bad for Canada, as now everything (goods and services) we sell to you is more expensive to you, and your country will buy less from us, and that will result in our economy slowing down, less sales, more layoffs etc.
It will be good for your economy and industries as now your citizens will buy more locally produced goods and services, instead of the more costly things from us, means more sales, more employment and so on.
Think of it like: Every dollar spent to buy a Japanese bike is a dollar that some Japanese person or company will have to eventually spend on US products, so it will even out.

Reminds me of a few years ago when I purchased a brand new 2005 Nissan Quest and traded in a 2003 PT Cruiser Turbo. A redneck friend of mine asked me why I didnt buy another American car. I told him the Chrysler PT Cruiser was made in Mexico and the Nissan Quest was made in Mississippi. I asked him which one was the American car. Needless to say he was tongue tied.

I'm not one to really argue over this subject, but this usually gives people a chuckle. Nowadays, I don't think there are too many things that are truly ONLY MADE IN AMERICA.

harley_parts_made_in_japan.jpg

I'm not one to really argue over this subject, but this usually gives people a chuckle. Nowadays, I don't think there are too many things that are truly ONLY MADE IN AMERICA.

:thumbsup:

Paying more for a name? Yes they are expensive but they are American...you want to send your money to Japan? Go right ahead but I'm trying to keep as much money as I can in the country I live in and support... An American flag patch sewn on the back of a Chinese-made jacket worn by a man riding a Goldwing with a sticker that says support the troops just doesn't make sense to me....just my thoughts

That guy needs to do his homework. The vast majority of Goldwings on the road were made in Marysville, Ohio. He's one of those too ashamed to admit he's buying a brand name.

i posted that pic in the thread and said that it was just to have a laugh. hopefully they'll get it:rofl:

You can tell 'em take the joke. I owned a Harley, I didn't enjoy it. I love my Busa, but my Dad and all of my uncles and friends ride Harleys, so I'm not hating by sharing that pic, I'm just saying if that's all they're after, being pro-American with their Harley, perhaps they should take a closer look at where their parts come from. Not much is 100% American made anymore. Shoot, even Japanese companies are manufacturing in China because it's cheaper...bottom line for everyone is profit.

Tell 'em to stop hating and just enjoy riding; respect anyone else that does no matter what they opt to buy. :thumbsup:

japan still gets the money..it does create a few jobs..we got a tacoma in the shop the other day that said made in U.S.A. while it makes me sick to think about, it did create a few jobs. but you know..I'm gonna drop this one cause I'd rather see more bikes than to clog up the thread. to each his own right?

my reply
i agree. i'm not arguing. seriously im not:lol:

were just having a discussion:D im seeing what you're seeing and you're seeing what im seeing.

hell, we just made points for both sides of the argument and came to an agreement:lol:

just for a laugh:
harley_parts_made_in_japan.jpg

not everything harley has is american made:lol:

c'mon, you know you laughed

and then i followed with

lets get back to the bikes!

new ones of my busa including the new yoshimura TRS exhaust, clear Zero Gravity double , and pic of my New Image seat.
busa001-1.jpg

busa002-2.jpg

busa003-1.jpg

also in desperate need of a bath.

and then of course someone got mad:rofl:
Harley had been using Jap POS Keihin carburetors since the 80's, maybe longer. It's the first thing I ditch on a stock older bike. S&S for me, please.

If you want more ammo, go look at any typical wannabe's Harley and you'll find tons of made in CHINA garbage on it, too; because that's where most of the run-of-the-mill aftermarket parts are made. You have to buy good stuff to get US-made, and the "Live to Ride" bolt-on crowd can't tell the difference.

This is a thread about bikes, not about buy American vs. whatever else; I'm Mr. Buy American too but y'all are going to derail it to death with this battle. It's also in the Snapshots forum which means... PICTURES. Not debate. :D

Richard

Last edited:
trying to get it back on track again
apparently you didnt get the humor in it. espcially when i said it was for a laugh:D

which you obviously didnt read the above posts:lol:

"Crazed" and myself arent in a battle. we are friends and just talking man calm down:lol: hell, i was trying to get the thread back on track by taking a few new ones of mine and posting up.

back on subject!

im seriously laughing at how its turning out

Wait for the vrod and sporster guys start saying how much faster they're american bikes are. All I work around are a bunch of rednecks with harley tattoos. Every time I mention I got a suzuki I get a ton of shid. A lot of people that really ride and enjoy they're bikes could care less though.
On the last job I was on a guy with a roadking said he would "smoke me" any way I wanted to race. Just had to agree.
Posted via Mobile Device

I remember this same sore spot in the '70's and japan started shipping their bikes over in parts, not many, but in parts. The dealers were stating manufactured in America at the time but had to change up to assembled in America.

I've been pretty loyal vehicle wise, but sorry guys, got to have Busa :laugh:

I've noticed that many HD riders just don't want their fellow HD riders to see them ogling another ride. Seriously, I routinely do the usual "ride to the Harley dealership" with my Dad and uncles and I park with 'em, everyone just walks around like they don't see the Busa. I go inside and look out the window, and HD riders are around my Busa, they just didn't want me to know they were curious.

I don't care either way...riding is riding. I don't do it for anyone but me...I sometimes think those that hate on others' rides feel some unnatural need to be "special" amongst 100,000 others just like 'em :laugh:

aren't the busa's put together by americans in California. I forget the city. :thumbsup:

we went on a charity run Saturday with a bunch of them and they loved the busa and kept takin pictures. LOL felt kinda weird you know...

Last edited:
It's a tough argument, but take a good look at where most of the things in your house were made--like cell phones, computers, stereo components, appliances, and clothes.

As for the H-D, when I get too old to comfortably ride the Busa, I'll be buying a Fat Boy Lo.

Fat Boy Lo.png

my favorite that gives me a chuckle is the rednecks who piss and moan about toyota being in NA$CAR now. There are 4 vehicles represented in NA$CAR: the Chevy Impala, the Dodge Charger, the Ford Fusion, and the Toyota Camry.

Chevy Impala: Built in Canada
Dodge Charger: Built in Canada
Ford Fusion: Built in Mexico
Toyota Camry: Built in Kentucky

So tell me again, which of these is the foreign car?

Back