Foster Mom to a breed I never thought I'd help...

VaBusa

oRg Gal
Staff member
Administrator
This does not need to become a reason to fight or point out your stance on the breed, but I can safely say no one fears Pit Bulls more than myself. I never chime in on the threads discussing 'em because I have very little to add. Only dog to ever bite me, completely unprovoked and while NOT on the dog's property, and this was a family pet...just always had a huge fear of 'em since that day, but I digress...

Woke up today to an odd call for help...no details, but a Pit Bull needed a foster home fast, so with my connections to vets and friends that foster and know who might be able to help, I agreed to take him with an hours' notice. He's been with us for nearly 12 hours now and let me say this, this guy's not had an easy life, of that we're sure, and he's the most thankful dog I've ever met.

He's already seen my veterinarian and here's his diagnosis:
Ears chopped up and infected...

Heartworm positive...

Ulcerated eye...

Cut tongue...

About 20 lbs underweight, ribs showing...he's 71 lbs now and could easily carry 90 lbs (he's pretty damn big to me and I had Danes)...

He's got arthiritis in both rear knee joints...

Not neutered, marks everything including other dogs LOL

He's maybe 2-3 years old...

So, he's already been crated and is OK with that, been for a ride to the vet's office, no issues...he seems to not mind cats, is great with kids (so far), loved the vet's female Bull Mastiff (maybe too much)...I'm just fostering him right now; I'll admit, my fear of the breed really keeps me from just taking this guy in, but we're doing all we can to make his life easier. He's on antibiotics for everything, heartworm meds, dewormer, got all his vaccinations today, including rabies...he's good to go and tolerated every test possible without a single growl or show of aggression. I've got feelers out for anyone that rescues these guys. He'd not be kept at the local shelters; they put them down immediately which is kind of why he's in need of foster care right now.

Anyway, my kids had to give him a name because calling him Dog just wasn't fun...so, here's Lucas (or Luke) and as you can see, didn't take him long to enjoy the good life...

Lucas.jpg

Last edited:
One more shot...proud of my kids today; they've walked him all around on a leash, they've been very tolerant of him and loved on him all day long...

LucasAndBoys.jpg

The good life :thumbsup:

You did good :beerchug:

4 Dogs / 4 Cats / 4 Kittens here, No need for another dog here. Good luck in finding a home or just keeping him yourself

Looks like you love animals as much as I do~!~

Kudos for making him happy, and good luck with his adventure and new changes in life~!~ :beerchug:

I have 3 cats that aren't too happy at the moment :laugh: We're also fostering a tadpole :rofl: fish and a gecko. Tonight during dinner, another stray cat was walking through out backyard slowly, as if he/she was scoping the place out :whistle:

VAB's Rescue...

Well done, Q. Well done.

Let us know if you need anything. :whistle: You know...

Great job Vabs! I'm happy to see that he will not be destroyed just because of his breed.

Now, down to business.

If he is allowed on people furniture and/or he is allowed to eat/beg for people food...

He will begin to think he is an equal in your pack, and will eventually decide to compete for the Alpha Male position. When he begins to build his confidence he will challenge the pack member that he sees as the leader.

Dogs are dogs, and need to be treated as such. They are not children. Strong breeds need strong leadership and consistent rules to be happy. If he knows you and your boys are his dominants, he will gladly follow and protect your family.

Happy puppying, even if it is just temporary. :thumbsup:

:thumbsup: Always good to hear people helping out pets in need. My wife and I are always watch the tv shows about it, and we've both talked about doing it once we get out of our apartment.

I used to be terrified of pitbulls as well haha. Then there was a wandering pitbull on post once when I was patrolling..ended up being a weekly thing, we'd pick her up and take her to the humane society to scan the micro chip, week later it'd be back wandering. Anyways, the first time I put her in the back of the patrol car, I thought it was going to eat my head off when she leaned forward near me...instead I ended up getting bathed the entire ride down to the Humane Society haha. Turns out, bulldogs are actually awesome family dogs!! I hear that since they have such a high pain threshold, little kids tugging and pulling on them doesn't really get to them haha. Since then, pitbulls have moved up a bit in my "favorite dogs" list :p

Last edited:
I owned Danes for over a decade and those Danes owned my furniture; it wasn't a problem, just a softer spot to sleep...

Thanks for the advice but I think we're good...

I can't take care of myself much less a dog:laugh: My :bowdown: goes to you for what you did good luck finding him a home. Pretty sure we don't have any here but "Dog fighters need not apply". :angry:

He's a cute boy Michelle....it's great that you are able to help him out. :thumbsup:

The breed is great really,it's bad owners that make them bad...I love them and wish I was closer he would be a family member..I had 2 from puppies and when I was over the road they stayed with my parents at their daycare....Kids loved them,state workers wondered what type of dog the kids were playing with them one day and was just rolling around and she was surprised to learn they were pits... :thumbsup: for you...My ex has the girl and boy passed away...

Last edited:
Hey CG, maybe Michelle can put him on a plane and ship him to you overnight. That's how I got my Springer. Delta will do domestic animals in same day freight. :beerchug:

ive had a couple and both were good dogs. actually seemed better mannered than the great dane i have now. shes a beast... weighed her about a week ago. she is 1.5 and weighs 108.

Sorry to hear about all the health problems, but I'm sure you'll take good care of him. Good luck with him. :thumbsup:

Back