I'm ashamed to post this, but...

BulletTrain

Call me Daddy...
Donating Member
Registered
Well, actually I tried to weigh on the scales at the gym at work about a week ago and I topped the damned things out!
eek2.gif
They top at 350lbs and I hit the limit plus some so I still didn't know how much I weighed. I figured maybe 300-325 lbs max, but 350+...
drooling3.gif
blush.gif
I've never been so embarassed by anything in my entire life!
drooling3.gif

Well, I didn't bother the scales again until today. I knew I was losin' but just couldn't bare to see it hit the limit again. This mornin' when I went in to do my leg workout I decided to step on and see if maybe I could get a weight. Was still worried that I'd hit the limit but was in a kind of mood that I thought I could handle it, sooooooo...

I'm proud to say, I didn't max it out this time!
biggrin.gif
I still weigh 345lbs and as terrible as that feels, sounds, IS, it still hurts less than hittin' the upper limit of the scale. I can't put into words how depressin' it was for me to hit the scale's limit. I knew I was/am a fat ass, but I had no idea I'd let myself go THAT bad...

To update everyone, I'm still hittin' the weights Mon-Wed-Fri and the treadmill Tues-Thurs-Sat. I had to change my diet though. I've been doin' a lot of readin' about Metabolic Typing and the associated diets. While readin' them, fillin' out the questionaires, and studyin' the different types of metabolism I found that I'm apparently a Protein Type, meaning that I need more protein and fat than carbs to thrive.

In fact, I pretty much fall into a classification called Syndrome X according to the readin' I've done. Apparently, my body has started to build up an insulin resistance. I had all the symptoms of Syndrome X that I read and I experience the outlined reactions to certain foods just like I've read about. The bad thing is that Syndrome X is referred to as "no man's land" between normal insulin function and TYPE II DIABETES! Scares the shid outta me!
eek2.gif

On a positive note I've adjusted my diet according to the recommendations of the books I've read and my body is responding very positively! I have more energy and it stays even more consistent than when I started Body For Life this time. In fact, since my last motivational post I hit a slump. Seemed that my energy level started peakin' right after I ate and dumpin' shortly after. I learned from my readin' that this was apparently from the amounts and types of carbs I was eatin' on the BFL program. I guess my initial improvement came from the reduction in pure junk foods and soft drinks.

I guess change is good, but the RIGHT changes are even BETTER. Now that I've learned which meats, vegetables, and oils are right for my individual metabolism I feel even better than when I restarted BFL just over a month ago. My energy level is through the roof most days and great even on bad days. I stay charged all day, from the time I get up until the time I lay down. I even sleep better.

On the BFL note, I also sort of ran into problems followin' the workouts. I could do it, but it got to where I was dead tired and sleepy as fug after every workout. I was startin' to get really burned out because I felt worse after workin' out than I did before. Shouldn't be that way... Couldn't figure out why until I got the metabolic typing books and learned about Syndrome X.

According to my reading, people in the Syndrome X category really need plenty of moderate exercise to control and reverse the insulin resistance issue that their body has, but it should NOT be really strenuous exercise. I was workin out HARD, tryin' to hit those level 10 intensity high points. Turns out that due to my body's condition (Syn X) my adrenal gland and thyroid are beat down just by dealin' with the carbohydrates I take in. According to what I've read, very strenuous exercise and excess stress further stresses these two organs and unquestionably works against me.

With that in mind, I've scaled back to doin' three sets of 12 reps with whatever weight I can do twelve reps with for each body part. I still get the burn. Still get the pump. Still get wobble knee'd after the squats. Still get a little sore. What I'm NOT gettin' is sleepy as hell after I work out. Just the opposite actually. I feel pumped! I've taken ephedra based fat burnin' pills before and know how they jack me up. Now, after a good workout I get that same jacked up feelin' but without the side effects of ephedra (cold sweats, goose bumps, cotton mouth, jitters, dry mouth/sinuses, occasional light headedness, etc...) I'm honestly gettin' the natural high that I should be gettin' from boostin' my metabolism with the right type and intensity exercises. I'm again excited about gettin' up and workin' out every morning!

It has been a learning experience. Last time I used BFL apparently I hadn't yet built up a resistance to insulin and could go all out. Until I re-balance my body with the right diet and exercises, I'll go with what works for me. It's not what I'm used to, but if it works, then it works. What I'm used to was definitely not workin'.
wink.gif

Anyway, if you're into nutrition, health and fitness I highly recommend gettin' the two books I'll list below. I can't tell you how many times I stopped while readin' 'em and said, "So THAT'S why I feel a certain way after eatin' (insert whatever here)!". I've learned more about my body, or more specifically my own individual metabolism and personalized dietary requirements from these two books than from the PILES of other books and magazines I've read over the years. Based on my initial results and the results seen by the guy who recommended the books to me, I really believe I've finally found a source of information that arms me with what I need to fine tune my diet to ME.

Metabolic Typing is the first "system" (for lack of a better term) that is not one size fits all. Using the information in these books and maybe the right physician you can almost infinitely fine tune your dietary intake for YOUR body, unlike BFL where everyone gets the same diet with the same protein/carb/fat ratios obtained from the same types of meats, fruits, and veggies. I'm tellin' ya, the changes I've seen after my initial diet changes PROVE that the one size fits all doesn't always work for everybody.
wink.gif
I'm still fine tunin' and figurin' out which foods don't do well for me, but my feeling of well being, both physically and mentally, have dramatically improved. I suspect my overall health has improved as well. Hard to quantitatively measure that in such a short time, but I just know I'm on the right path.
biggrin.gif

Ok, the books are:

The Metabolic Typing Diet  by William Wolcott and Trish Fahey

The Nutrition Solution: A Guide to Your Metabolic Type  by Harold J. Kristal and James M. Haig

By the way, if you're really interested in learning from these books and reapin' full benefit from them, throw out EVERYTHING you've ever read about diet and nutrition and the health impact of this food or that food before you start readin'. A lion's share of what I thought I knew about eatin' "right" and "healthy foods" got shot right out of the water. I'm not talkin' about some quacks that are recommendin' some off the wall miracle plan here. You'll really have to read the books and understand them to truly understand what I mean.

I'll end with a paraphrase from the books. Both constantly drive home the same message that just like no two humans have the same finger prints, no two humans have exactly the same biochemistry...

<span style='font-size:15pt;line-height:100%'>One man's food can be another man's poison.</span>

<!--EDIT|BulletTrain
Reason for Edit: None given...|1084411191 -->

drooling3.gif

eek2.gif

wink.gif

biggrin.gif

Oh yeah, after that post I guess I can no longer poke at thrasherfox or Rev for bein' long winded...
blush.gif

Hey Train thats ok to feel that way. I know it's still to soon to say but congrats on losing 5lbs. If you stay motivated I know you will prevail and you see those pounds just melt right off. Keep up the good work and good luck.

As others have said you didn't gain the weight overnight and it won't come off overnight. Continue the program, make adjustments where necessary and you will continue to get results!

Hey Train thats ok to feel that way.  I know it's still to soon to say but congrats on losing 5lbs. If you stay motivated I know you will prevail and you see those pounds just melt right off.  Keep up the good work and good luck.
Not too soon, man. Encouragement and support are always welcome. I know what you meant though.
wink.gif
Oh, and I've lost more than 5 pounds, I just can't say how much more. Put it this way, my XXXL h.org shirts were actually a little snug. Had to stretch 'em out a little before wearin' 'em so they weren't too clingy. Now they're gettin' baggy. I'd be willin' to bet that I could get into an XXL now in the same shirt.

My uniforms are fittin' looser, too. I have to fold and overlap my shirts on both sides in the back now. Got the equivelent of maybe a 1.5" deep "pleat" in both sides on the back. They were gettin' snug when I made my life changes.
wink.gif

I wouldn't be afraid to say that I've lost a good four inches in my waist already. Wish I had measured all that and got an accurate weight before I started so I actually could know how far I've come already.
wink.gif

Thanks for the words of encouragement, man. Part of the reason I posted this thread and embarassed myseld like that "in public" was to provide myself with that much more focus and motivation to keep goin'. Also, writin' stuff like this allows you to sort it out in your head so you can put it into words that someone might understand. Some of the posts I've made here about my changes have really opened my eyes to some things when I went back and re-read 'em.
wink.gif

<!--EDIT|BulletTrain
Reason for Edit: None given...|1084412122 -->

wink.gif

wink.gif

wink.gif

Hey Train thats ok to feel that way.  I know it's still to soon to say but congrats on losing 5lbs. If you stay motivated I know you will prevail and you see those pounds just melt right off.  Keep up the good work and good luck.
You, and they, are right.
wink.gif
I just can't believe how much more focused I've become since adjustin' my diet and exercise program to MY needs instead of usin' the one size fits all approach. It'll be even EASIER to follow this kind of thing for LIFE.
super.gif

Thanks for the words of encouragement, bro. Of course I knew you'd step up with somethin' positive. You always have. We're gonna HAVE to hook up and ride when you get back from playin' in the sand, bro! How about we start makin' plans to meet at Deal's Gap soon after you get back and tearin' up some REAL twisties together? How does a weekend at the lodge with ridin' and chillin' out sound?
rock.gif
Should be a nice relief for ya after bein' over there in all that shid!
beerchug.gif
Hell, we can even invite some of these other calf heads to join us... Hehehehehehe...
wink.gif

Just kiddin' ya'll. Ya'll know I love everybody here.
biggrin.gif

wink.gif

Hey Train,
I am trying to loose too. I was 296 lbs, March 4, this year, April 6 Doc's scale said 285. I'm with ya brother, keep workin'. We'll get there.

J

wink.gif
I just can't believe how much more focused I've become since adjustin' my diet and exercise program to MY needs instead of usin' the one size fits all approach. It'll be even EASIER to follow this kind of thing for LIFE.
super.gif

Thanks for the words of encouragement, bro. Of course I knew you'd step up with somethin' positive. You always have. We're gonna HAVE to hook up and ride when you get back from playin' in the sand, bro! How about we start makin' plans to meet at Deal's Gap soon after you get back and tearin' up some REAL twisties together? How does a weekend at the lodge with ridin' and chillin' out sound?
rock.gif
beerchug.gif
Hell, we can even invite some of these other calf heads to join us... Hehehehehehe...
wink.gif

biggrin.gif
Sounds good to me! I'll be up for that and lots of other stuff when I get back. I am really not looking forward to being gone for another year. Finally thought I was getting my personal life in order and now it's on hold again!

wink.gif

Hey Train,
I am trying to loose too.  I was 296 lbs, March 4, this year, April 6 Doc's scale said 285.   I'm with ya brother, keep workin'.  We'll get there.

J
I'm more focused than ever now, man.
super.gif
I'm finally hittin' on information I can follow for the rest of my life. My willpower is stronger than it has ever been. I tell ya, findin' out that I was prolly headed for Type II Diabetes really put my ass in gear. I've got an uncle that is all but crippled by Type II. No feeling in his legs from pretty much the knee down, no feeling or strength in his hands, can't walk well, poor sense of balance/equilibrium, etc... Provides me with a LOT of mental motivation to maintain a diet that balances my body chemistry.
wink.gif

Hey, if I can ever lend you any support of any kind (other than financially or course. Can't make my own ends meet in that area sometimes.
biggrin.gif
) just hit me up.
beerchug.gif

good goin BT.. sounds like you got a good battle plan goin on now.

wink.gif
super.gif

rock.gif
beerchug.gif
wink.gif

biggrin.gif
Sounds good to me!  I'll be up for that and lots of other stuff when I get back.  I am really not looking forward to being gone for another year.  Finally thought I was getting my personal life in order and now it's on hold again!
It's on then!
super.gif
We're gonna keep in touch anyway while your gone. When you have a return date and an idea of when you wanna do Deal's Gap just let me know and we'll start makin' the reservations.
beerchug.gif
I missed the Busa Bash and hated life for not bein' able to go. Can't wait to get up there!
biggrin.gif

wink.gif

super.gif

beerchug.gif

biggrin.gif

good goin BT..  sounds like you got a good battle plan goin on now.
Thanks ego.
beerchug.gif
And you're right. Absolutely focused and sure I'm goin' in the right direction now. It was tough on me to find out that what worked for me before wasn't workin' this time. I was gettin' a little depressed, hence no motivational posts after the first few. Had a hard time motivatin' myself. Knew I wasn't gonna do anybody else any good.

Thanks to busaben though (on GSB board, not sure what he goes by here...) it didn't take long to find somethin' that does work. He's the one who put me onto those books.
biggrin.gif

I was getting ready to send you a PM asking where the motivational posts were. I'll let you know how things are going and when I will return. Hope its about this time next year.

I was getting ready to send you a PM asking where the motivational posts were.  I'll let you know how things are going and when I will return.  Hope its about this time next year.
Yeah, well, each successive motivational post got fewer hits so I figured everyone was gettin' tired of readin' my ramblin' bullshat. In addition to that, my own motivation was bein' sapped and it was hard to make an upbeat post about my progress. I'll continue to do updates occasionally, but not daily. I'll save that for my journal, if I ever start one.
biggrin.gif

This time next year would be perfect. Weather should be warm, but still not too hot. I can't wait to do this.
beerchug.gif

I got back into karate. Pulled out my bicycle, locked the refrigerator, and kicked myself in the a$$. Just knowing that I am not alone is all the support I need. I am here for you too. We all need a shoulder to lean on sometimes.

J

I got back into karate.  Pulled out my bicycle, locked the refrigerator, and kicked myself in the a$$.  Just knowing that I am not alone is all the support I need.  I am here for you too.  We all need a shoulder to lean on sometimes.  

J
Well, I sold my mountain bike just before I made the decision to change the way I live. If I still had it I'd be ridin' it. For now I'll hit the treadmill and the roads (on foot) for my cardio.
wink.gif

I think we've both covered the hardest part though. Kickin' yerself in the ass and gettin' started has always been the hardest part for me.
biggrin.gif

smile.gif
That's excellent, BT!! It's all about the attitude, man~ If you really want it off, and you've made up your mind to do so, you've already beat the first battle~ Just stick with it and don't give up~ You will hit some spots where you won't drop any weight for a couple weeks (or more), but that's just your body adjusting to the changes~ Don't get discouraged... it will keep comin off!
I hit 275 last year when I decided enough was enough~ My problem is I just love to eat~ I can eat 'til I hurt before I figure out I've had enough~ I finally just changed my diet habits~ I still eat quite a bit, but knocked out a lot of the BS foods~ I'm alergic to exercise.. but pick up some weights every now and then~ Mostly just to tone up... not to the body building extremes~ I'm proud to say that after a year, I've been stuck between 205-210 for the past month! It's all about the determination~ I'm trying to get to 190, but I think I can hold 200 rather well for my frame...
Anyhow... good on ya, Bro! Keep up the great work!! 
biggrin.gif

Bullet...Glad to hear of your progress...Keep up the good work(outs)...How much cardio you doing???3 days a week for 20 mins will do wonders...Also don't forget that you have made more changes than just dropping the 5pds...If you have increase muscle and lost fat the scale want show it...Muscle weighs more than fat...So your actually doing better than you thought...How bought that???
biggrin.gif
evil.gif

smile.gif
That's excellent, BT!! It's all about the attitude, man~ If you really want it off, and you've made up your mind to do so, you've already beat the first battle~ Just stick with it and don't give up~ You will hit some spots where you won't drop any weight for a couple weeks (or more), but that's just your body adjusting to the changes~ Don't get discouraged... it will keep comin off!
I hit 275 last year when I decided enough was enough~ My problem is I just love to eat~ I can eat 'til I hurt before I figure out I've had enough~ I finally just changed my diet habits~ I still eat quite a bit, but knocked out a lot of the BS foods~ I'm alergic to exercise.. but pick up some weights every now and then~ Mostly just to tone up... not to the body building extremes~ I'm proud to say that after a year, I've been stuck between 205-210 for the past month! It's all about the determination~ I'm trying to get to 190, but I think I can hold 200 rather well for my frame...
Anyhow... good on ya, Bro! Keep up the great work!! 
biggrin.gif
Thanks for the words of encouragement Greg.
beerchug.gif
I agree that decidin' to do somethin' and gettin' started has always been the hardest part for me when I decided to lose weight. Good job on gettin' down to around 200, man. Based on past experience, if I'm workin' out and stayin' toned up my frame can carry about 225lbs nicely. As for attitude, I've never had a better one toward health and fitness. Seein' the mental and physical improvements I've seen over the past few weeks, especially the past week, is really gettin' me pumped on feelin' this good or BETTER for the rest of my life, which is my main long term goal.
wink.gif

My mid-term goal is to reach my ideal fit weight and size (whatever that ends up bein' based on eatin' for my metabolism and doin' the right types and amounts of exercise for my body) by my next birthday, April 27. That way I can get a set of nice leathers for next ridin' season. As useless as the skill may be, I wanna learn to drag a knee in the twisties.

On that note, my Dad is so excited that I've started on the way to better health that when he heard my goal was to reach my idea weight and size so I could get a nice set of racin' leathers he said that when I reached my goal and was ready to get a set, he'd buy me whatever I wanted! He said that he didn't know how else to help me with my plan other than help with an incentive and that he really wanted help me in some way. Man, talk about a sweet incentive and an awesome Dad!!!
biggrin.gif
Heck, I can't even use the excuse of not bein' able to afford leathers when I wanna cheat or get slack now!
drooling3.gif
biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

Back