Question for CDL-Truck Drivers

mymaster

Dr. Frankenstein
Donating Member
Registered
I'll try and make this short, going to look at the equipment-Truck Tractor driving Job type interview tomorrow pulling containers to and from the Port of Oakland.
So far everything looks good except one thing, haven't seen it yet but the tractor is a 1989 KW cab-over-he says it only has 600k on it???, how come I have this feeling it has more like 1,2 or even 3+ million miles on it and is tired, might be good for daily local but beyond that I don't know,it's a 20 year old Truck, nothing worst than equipment that doesn't perform and is constant maintenance.

I use to drive a 93 KW cab-over and it wasn't the most comfortable thing. Maybe I'll bring my camera and take some pics of it tomorrow. Thoughts?

This isn't the truck but heres some pics of the type of tractor.

1989_Kenworth_3_Axel_Tractor_Front_L.jpg

1989-KENWORTH-K100.jpg

1989-KENWORTH-K900C.jpg

7871431_jpg.jpg

16299082261.jpg

Last edited:
600k total or after the last rebuild? That seems ridiculously low. Never been a big fan of cabovers for long distance, don't seem to ride as smoothly as traditionals.

If thats accurate I would think it's horribly unreliable, you know as well as I do people don't buy trucks to let them sit. "If you ain't movin you ain't makin me no money...."

I always hated cab overs. I dont drive a truck anymore, but I do maintain my license, you never know.

does seem pretty low, but if it spent it's life doing short runs (semi-local delivery) it's more than possible. when I used to drive for techline in '04, they had a 94 ford bobtail w/400k and a '88 eagle daycab w/ a little under 400k. unless we absolutely needed to pull the 48' flatbed, we'd load up the bobtail. mon-fri 7a-4p...rarely leave state, mostly stay within 2 counties

Low mileage is possible, but they're usually HARD miles. At work (ready mix) we have an 89 Ford L9000 with 266xxx and an 86 Mack with a lil over 300k but best believe they have been rough a$$ miles!

I would say the odo maybe has turned over a few times!:laugh: I don't know how high the ones on those trucks go...but that would be my guess. You may be able to check with Kenworth and see if they have records for it, just tak the vin # in with you. If it was being used it would have that much on it within 5 or 6 years.

I am not big on cabovers for several reasons...anytime you need to work on them, all your crap goes flying when you lean the cab forward. Also the ride stinks and my dogs cannot jump in the truck by themselves due to the step configuration.

Conventionals also have more room and a much better ride. My Freightshaker is an '03 Columbia condo. Had it since Nov '07 and have put an average of 12,000 miles a month on it. It has a Detroit 6 series and can get 7 mpg if I stick to 65mph. Avoid cat engines, they wear out too soon and get crappy mileage. The Detroits really can't be beat for longevity. Two drivers I know have 1.8 and 2 mil on theirs. :)

Good luck with whatever you buy! :)

Just my .02

Last edited:
Good luck with whatever you buy! :)

It's a job interview, just wondered what others thought about driving a 20 year old tractor with questionable miles, I sure it was state of the art back in 1989 but - that was yesterday.

If it pays good, drive it. Doubtful the mileage is accurate though. If it isnt safe then make your decision to take another job. Jobs are scarce. There is no longer a driver shortage in most areas. Many things to consider. I would not buy it, but if its not junk, then just drive it. Just my .02. Also look at U.S.postal contractors. pay is above avrage and equipment is mostly ok. Been driving for USPS for about 9 years.

i run cross the states and canada in a frightliner columba with a 80 sleeper if it well serviced then no promblem i see not a bad choice where do you run i run across 80 alot i have 780,000 at the million maker i think ill have it rebuilt been a good 18 wheeler for me

Last edited:
Back