need info. please

teamorion22

Registered
I am considering buying my first home. Would you do this with economy in current situation? Any other info advice suggestions. My job security is as good as it gets right now
thanks in advance
michael

If you have job security and the money, now is the best time to buy.

I'm treadin in unfamiliar waters and it's stressin me out a little. The what if's and the busa. I really enjoy spendin money on her and that will have 2 slow alot if I buy a house. Of course the one I found and want 2 buy is a tad outta the range I was looking to spend. I realize only I can prioritize my finances but I really appreciate your 2 cents

Check out the market first,look around at the same time.A house i confirm a wiser choice since its a roof over your head.A busa compared to a house its secondary

1) buy enough house for your needs for the next 7-10 years but never go above your budget as things are very likely to get worse before they get better...this also allows you to grow your equity in your present home which you can sell and use for a larger down payment on your next one

2) never buy the best house in the neighborhood since it's value will decrease faster in a down market and increase slower in the up

3) always keep enough liquid assets to float yourself for at least 6 months

Also dont be scared to make a lower offer.. If the house is listed at 200, offer 150 and go from there. If they want to sell they will counter offer. Just keep going back and fourth untill you get to where you want.

I will be closing on a lake house this week. 2 years ago these houses were valued at over 300K. This one went up on the market for 150. I made a offer of 125, after some back and forth we settled on 132 with the seller to pay all closing cost.

It is definitely a buyers market, home values in most areas have taken big hits. I have a buddy that is about two years from retiring and he just bought a condo near Ft Meyers FL. Two years ago units in the complex were selling for more than twice what he paid for it. Not to mention interest rates are very low.

The right property is a true investment. When this economy turns around values will once again rise. If you have bought the right property you will be sitting in a nice comfortable position.

Look around and look at many properties. There is no charge for looking and don't make any rush decisions. Stay within your means but do your best to get the most you can for what you can spend. Look at trends in your area and try to find something that will be in demand when the economy turns around. Don't be afraid to look at houses for sale by owners, with the down markets many have lost equity and simply can't afford the commissions a broker will charge, or choose not to pay the commissions a broker will charge. Many private sellers will work with buyers as well, just be cautious. Find someone you trust that is in your area that you can get an honest opinion from when you find something you are interested in and when you think you have found the right one have a professional inspect the home to ensure you aren't buying a problem that will cost you a large chunk of cash to correct. Don't be afraid to work with a realtor/broker either just be aware they have interests on both sides. They make their commissions by getting more money from buyers. The home owner pays a percentage to the broker for selling so when you make an offer they have to take that into account as well. Brokers on the other hand have a huge amount of resources for the buyer.

If you finance the home also shop for a bank. Different banks offer different programs and different rates. Get a pre approval when you find the bank that fits your needs so you know what you have to work with before you get into making offers, it will help things move along quicker and easier. Do research on life expectancy of appliances, roofs etc. Take into account when buying a home what if anything is going to outlive it's normal life expectancy, if anything, over the next couple years. Then take into account you can't predict when some things will just give out. When buying an older home things can and will break so have a cushion in place so you don't get into a bind having to fix these things. Heating and cooling systems can get expensive and older systems can nickel and dime you to death.

Sure it sounds like a lot but much of it is common sense stuff that if you take your time and take the emotion out of buying you will make better decisions and end up with the house that suits you best in many different areas.

Absolutely. It is a buyers market for sure. Real estate, over time, is one of the best investments you can make. I used to have rent houses & could never understand why people would rather pay me than build equity in something of their own. I bought my first condo when I was 21 in 1988. It was a foreclosure & I paid 21K for it. They originally sold for 80K. I kept it as a rent property & bought my first house in 1994 for 150K. I sold that house last year for over 500K & paid cash for my current home. Sold all the rent properties after all the lovely "anyone can buy a house" interest rates hit, it killed the rental market.

Yes prices are very negotiable, but you do not want to offend the seller by offering an extremely lowball offer. A "short sale" property is great to get too. It is a property that is being foreclosed on by the mortgage company, but they agree to sell it for less than the original owner owes on it. They will do this just to move it. Remember, banks are in the business of loaning money, not selling property so they want it gone.

Check in to first time buyer programs as well.

Realtors commisions are also negotiable.

Good luck w/ your decision.

Last edited:
Back